• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which head? Berlebach 520 or Manfrotto 701RC2 (1 Viewer)

King Fisher

I am new to the forum so before I get to my question I want to thank everyone for all of the information here that has helped me decide on my new scope.

I just ordered a Swarovski ATS80HD which I plan to use with my Olympus C5050Z. The supplier informed me that I get a free Berlebach tripod with my purchase. I had never heard of one but have since read that they are heavy units that are well made.

I now have to decide whether to match the tripod with the Berlebach 520 head or go with the 701RC2 fluid head from Manfrotto that I have read so much about on this forum.

Any advice would be appreciated. Here is a link to the berlebach unit.
Berlebach heads

I haven't seen the Berlebach head. As far as Bogen is concerned, you may want to consider the old standby 3130. The new Swaro scopes fit right onto the head without needing a plate.

I have not ever seen or tried the Berlebach head, only their tripods which are excellent. Kikkertspesialisten in Norway highly recommend the Berlebach heads, considering them very solid and vibration-free. However, they are not fluid-damped, so action-wise, the Manfrotto might be a better bet, although lack of proper friction adjustment is a major drawback. The 701 is very sturdy and if you get a unit which happens to have the right amount of damping grease and pre-tension, the action is very good. Kikkertspesialisten has plenty of info about video heads (in Norwegian) on their webpages if you care to read it. Since I don't have their address memorized, I'll suggest you Google it if you wish to check.

Kimmo

You said that lack of friction adjustment is a major drawback. Are you referring to this as a weekness of the 701? Could you explain a bit more what you mean. I am new to all of this.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back