• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To feed or not too feed (1 Viewer)

paula

I wonder what the views of other members are on the following subject:
Should one feed the birds and other wildlife on three acres totally managed for wildlife conservation? (check out my website!)
I am agonising about this subject, I have been an avid feeder; sunflowers seeds, peanuts, suet and wild bird food and corn.
I now find that:
A. the two feeding stations attract scores of rats, which do a lot of damage to wildlife. I have to shoot and/or poison them.
B. Magpies, rooks and gulls are also trying to get to take part in the bonanza and have increased as a result.
B. The increase in birds, especially green finches is staggering, they come in their hundreds. Attracting sparrow hawks, also increasing!
Is this right?
Am I creating an artificial nirvana, that could not be sustained under normal circumstances?
What about the hundreds of seed/fruit/nut producing plants and shrubs I have planted. Would they not sustain the birds now?
Would be very grateful for member's feedback
(I hope this subject has not come up before but I did not see it anywhere.)
Paula

Wish I could help with an informed opinion, but I'm too much a novice at such things. I had to comment though on the great website that you have developed, very clear and easy to read, a pleasure to browse through.

As regards your problems, it seems to me that you seem to have achieved your objectives. By providing additional food during the first few years, you have attracted addtional species to your reserve. Now that it has become established there should be an adequate food supply for the bird and wildlife to find a natural level.
I think the RSPB advice to feed all year round, whatever their motives, is aimed at small gardens rather than your sized project. I do provide food all year round but just in small quanities on the ground that can be cleared each day. I know you feed the badgers, but I'd be inclined to put less food out for them, so they can clear it before the rats do. Obviously the rats will go elsewhere once they find the food supply deleted, though being in the country you are going to have a certain number about anyway. I'd certainly provide food in Winter and through Spring.
Personally I'd look upon the Sparrowhawks as an additional attractioin. They would seek out the small birds in any case, whether sheltering in your reserve or a hedge in a field. They are part of the natural cycle too. I'd much rather see a bird of prey take a small bird, to seeing a cat do the same.

Helpful comments

Thank you, IanF, for your very helpful comments. I shall definately tone down the feeding arangement and only feed in mid winter.
I love to see the sparrow hawk also, one almost flew into my lap the other day: so concentrated on his chase! What I meant was that due to the high bird population due to the feeding, even the sparrow hawks were on the increase thinking they were in utopia. An increase that is also based on an unnatural situation.
I agree with you about the cats. Especially in the rural areas their doting owners let them roam at will, no concern at all for the damage they do to wildlife.
Thank you again. Paula

Feeding

I have notised that when I start to feed early in autum (Aug/Sept), especially the Willow Tits wear the tips of their bills heavily (see attached pic).

As I ring birds, I often get them in the nets more than one time, and this give me possibilities to see if they survive.

In just one case have I got a Willow Tit - ringed in autum with shorter upper mandible - back the following autum. No other individuals with shorter mandible.

Do they manage to change diet during the summer with a spoiled instrument for spiders and spider-eggs diet?

Regards

Peter

Attachments

• parmon_4.jpg
    parmon_4.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 270
Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back