• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Northern California (1 Viewer)

munn75

Hello, I am brand new to this board and to birding in general. I have lots of newbie questions but will limit it to just a couple for this first post.

I live in Sacramento California and was hoping that someone might be able to offer some suggestions for good places to take pictures. I don't mind a bit of a drive.

Also, what is the proper forum for asking questions regarding equipment. I have a general idea of what to use but certainly welcome suggestions.

Thanks everyone.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Welcome to BirdForum!

I did a little bit of birding in northern CA 3½ years ago, saw lots of good birds. Some excellent coastal birding on the seafront around Eureka and at Fort Bragg, and nice mountain birds in the Siskiyou. There should be Pileated Woodpecker in the forests there too, tho' the one I saw was just into Oregon. A nice count of about a hundred Western Grebes on Clear Lake. And a Spotted Owl at dusk just outside Williams, northwest of Sacramento.

If you're willing to travel a bit further, Mono Lake on the back side of the Sierra is spectacular - there were about 100,000 Red-necked Phalaropes there when I was there (mid Sept) according to the rangers

Michael

Hey, I live in Sacramento, too. Grey Lodge is terrific in the winter and fall as are any of the Sacto complex. Bodega Bay can be great and Point Reyes. Good luck.

A great book to have on hand is Birding Northern California by John Kemper.
Sacranento National Wildlife Preserve is awsome aand there are at least 5 others perserves nearby. That area is rice growing country so there are lots of waterfowl. Winter is especially awsome.

Summer

munn75 said:
Hello, I am brand new to this board and to birding in general. I have lots of newbie questions but will limit it to just a couple for this first post.

I live in Sacramento California and was hoping that someone might be able to offer some suggestions for good places to take pictures. I don't mind a bit of a drive.

Also, what is the proper forum for asking questions regarding equipment. I have a general idea of what to use but certainly welcome suggestions.

Thanks everyone.

Ben

Hello there munn75! I'm new too!

So I hope this is okay to say, but if you haven't been yet, you might enjoy the Central Valley Birding Symposium in Stockton coming up in November. Here is the website address http://www.cvbs.org/ .

On November 19th they are hosting some field trips you may be interested in to Bufferlands & Stone, Lakes NWR, Cosumnes River Preserve, Fish Hatchery, Flood/Waverly Rd, Lodi Lake, Mt. Plover Chase (Sat. only), Pace Preserve, Stockton Parks, Stockton SP, Turner Rd Vintners, Woodbridge Rd, Woodbridge Regional Park.

We've attended in the past and had a wonderful time. This is a great way to be introduced to new spots.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back