• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are these Barrow's Goldeneye or Common Goldeneye? (1 Viewer)

littlebitrv

These where taken 01-03-08 at Goose Island State Park. Are these Barrow's Goldeneye or Common Goldeneye? They look to me to be more like Barrow's Goldeneye but they have no crescent. I need to know which they are for sure.
Thanks for your time,
Marie

Attachments

• BF 05783.jpg
    BF 05783.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 253
  • BF 05782.jpg
    BF 05782.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 181
Common Goldeneyes I reckon. Just wondering why you think they might be Barrows. I've seen thousands of Commons but only one Barrows here in the UK.

I wouldn't like to say for 100% sure because of the quality of the shots but the photos suggest that both birds are indeed common goldeneye. The white spot on the head looks rounded and not more elongated as barrows. also the coverts appear to be mainly white on the first picture which would favour common goldeneye.
regards,
Paul
http://www.birdlist.co.uk

Both birds look like drake Common Goldeneye to me. White circular rather than cresent spot on the cheeks, and pattern on the back is wrong for Barrow's

Thanks

Common Goldeneyes I reckon. Just wondering why you think they might be Barrows. I've seen thousands of Commons but only one Barrows here in the UK.

Because of the black " spur " It looked like it maybe and I'm still learning. I saw the round instead of the crescent but maybe I just wasn't sure. I thank all of you for the lesson and your help.
Marie

Barrow's would be extremely unlikely (though there have been some reports) in Texas. That is, I believe Goose Island State Park is in Texas. You really should provide definitive location information.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back