• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are Audubon 820EDs gone? (1 Viewer)

BobinKy

I was replying to a post on Cloudy Nights and the original poster said the Swift Audubon 820 ED 8.5x44 porro has been discontinued and is very hard to find.

Anyone have any news on this? When did Swift discontinue the 820ED?

Bob
Kentucky, USA

Well, Swift's website still shows both 820's, but that can take a while to change (as was the case w/Nikon & the SE's). But checking several online dealers (Christopher's & Optics4birding show both out of stock; Adorama, Birdwatching.com store, Binoculars.com & EO don't even list either anymore) so it may very well be the case. What a bite...I'll definitely hang on to my non-ED model, as it's view will match anything out there.

I sure hope that is not the case. The first decent binocular I had was a Swift and I have had a Swift of some sort ever since, that time spans 40 years now.

I had a bit of a go round over whether a an 820 ED I purchased was an ED or not. Swift said it was ED, but the binocular never could convince me it was not in fact the non ED as was indicated by the color of the armor and the logo.

What I hope is that what this all means is that Swift itself is not about to be discontinued. However, when Allison Swift divested herself from the company after its sale a few years ago, the Swift I knew for a long time seemed to have gone away. The Audubon and Eaglet roof prisms are fine glass and frankly, along with the Audubon porro, deserve more attention than they get. I always wished they would have made an Audubon 8x32 porro.

I sure hope that is not the case. The first decent binocular I had was a Swift and I have had a Swift of some sort ever since, that time spans 40 years.......................................................................... The Audubon and Eaglet roof prisms are fine glass and frankly, along with the Audubon porro, deserve more attention than they get. I always wished they would have made an Audubon 8x32 porro.

Swift did have a neat little 8 x 32 Porro; the rubber armored 8 x 32 ZWCF 763 ULTRA LITE. It weighed 19.6 oz. and had a FOV of 436 feet. 15mm ER. IP adjustment 51-75mm. Rare Earth or BAK 4 prisms, 4 lens ocular system, FMC on all air to glass surfaces,and "a highly resolved flat field." (Stats from the Swift flyer with the Acorn Woodpecker on the cover.)

I remember mulling over whether I should buy one or a Nikon 8 x 30 EII. I decided to get the Nikon and I'm not sorry I did but if I had the extra money to spend at that time I would have purchased the Swift too. Their prices were about the same.

I believe you could also get it in a "Gift Package" with a fancy locking case included. The Swift logo button on the binocular was light blue in color. A very handsome little binocular.:t:

Maybe Elk Cub could give us more info on it?

Bob

Last edited:
Swift did have a neat little 8 x 32 Porro; the rubber armored 8 x 32 ZWCF 763 ULTRA LITE. It weighed 19.6 oz. and had a FOV of 436 feet. 15mm ER. IP adjustment 51-75mm. Rare Earth or BAK 4 prisms, 4 lens ocular system, FMC on all air to glass surfaces,and "a highly resolved flat field." (Stats from the Swift flyer with the Acorn Woodpecker on the cover.)

Bob

Yes, the Ultralites were nice binoculars. Matter of fact they still are. I look on ebay time to time, but I haven't seen one. Usually I was after a waterproof binocular whenever I had one of the 8x32's more or less on my radar. I just never had the occasion to order one.

I'm beginning to get the idea that Bushnell, too, may soon drop its flagship Elite roofs (not the E2's). A few of the dealers I mentioned above aren't listing the 8x43 & 10x43 any more.....the Legend Ultra HD now seems to be touted as the new stalwart, just as Swift now appears to be pushing the Eaglet series as top of the line. I wonder if both companies have the decided that the "hardcore birder" market has shifted to the Alpha tier and a few others (i.e., Canon IS, Chinese price-beaters, maybe Kowa & Pentax, etc).

Pulling listings for the current Elites could also point to a new Elite being introduced.

There were mentions of an Elite HD at the SHOT show (mentioned on the Optics Talk thread and pointed to in the BF thread on the shot show). I've not seen any other details (or PR) on this new bin.

Swift unfortunately just don't seem to be serious in the bin market any more. Unfortunately a brand without any substance (compared to the Glorious Old Days™).

Yes, there is a new Elite being introduced. Priced under $400, we have some specs but no image yet on our website here.
I'm told we will see them mid-late March. I didn't have time to look at them much during our SHOT meeting so I can't really give much in the way of an initial impression.

Ben

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
1-800-289-1132

Pulling listings for the current Elites could also point to a new Elite being introduced.

There were mentions of an Elite HD at the SHOT show (mentioned on the Optics Talk thread and pointed to in the BF thread on the shot show). I've not seen any other details (or PR) on this new bin.

Swift unfortunately just don't seem to be serious in the bin market any more. Unfortunately a brand without any substance (compared to the Glorious Old Days™).

Thanks for that heads up, blizdas.

That's a heck of a price drop from the previous model. Perhaps the first example of product pricing realignment from an existing Big Maker to take account of the Chinese EDs.

I guess FOV is the most critical "failing" in these bins, IMHO. Did they bump it up from previous 7.1° in the 8x?

Bushnell Elite ED

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/bushnell/bushnell-elite-ed-8x42-binocular

$389!

Magnification 8x
Objective Lens Diameter 42 mm
Field of View 330 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief 19.5 mm
Close Focus 8 feet
Weight 25.7 ounces
Dimensions (HXW) TBD
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/bushnell/bushnell-elite-ed-10x42-binocular

$399

Magnification 10x
Objective Lens Diameter 42 mm
Field of View 314 feet
Eye Relief 15.5 mm
Close Focus 8 feet
Weight 26.1 ounces
Dimensions (HXW) TBD
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof

And the answer is, err, unclear. For the 8x 330 feet @ 1000 yards is about 6.2°. So that isn't right (unless they're making a Monarch competitor -- I hope I'm wrong on that). The 10x could be 6.0°. But wider for both would be better.

I see the pages still need some editing:

"BaK-4 Prisms Optimize light transmission. Proprietary name here"

Hopefully XTR (their name for the dielectric coating) but I suspect those specs aren't right. ;)

It will be interesting to see what these look like.

Perhaps my Japanese Elite 8x43 roofs will now become collectible ;)

Price point is sweet but an AFoV of ~50° would be a yawn even if it has Swarovision-like sharpness at the edge. I am still giddy over how good the ultrawide 8x Legend Ultra HD is for only $200. I don't miss their lack of dielectic prism coatings a bit.

Rick

Without supplies of the Swift Audubon 8.5x44 (any version)--Swift most assuredly will be a brand without substance. ;)

Bob
Kentucky, USA

Okay. So I contacted Swift Sport Optics and here's the word. The 820 and 820ED are currently "out of production," but thought is being given to a redesign. Wouldn't that be exciting! The 828HHS is on order and apparently will be available shortly.

Ed

Here in Japan, Vixen Optics seems to have a steady supply of the Swift #820ED for the last year or so. Maybe Swift USA failed to pay for its last order!8-P

cheers,
Rick

Rick,

It beats me how the licensing agreements are worked out at this point. Swift used to hold the copyrights for the Audubon configuration, but that could have changed after dissolution of Swift Instruments Inc. Anyway, it's a puzzlement. |:S|

Thanks,
Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back