• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding hot spots south Florida November December? (1 Viewer)

Attiliod

Hello Southfloridians
Looking to explore some birding locations from Orlando south, Miami to fort Myers in November and December. I've already done all the shorebirds. Im looking for raptors and interesting warblers.
Any tips?
I was thinking of Ding Darling as one place.
I did shark valley but found the Everglades slightly disappointing.
Incredible beautiful but not much bird verify.

Thank you for any advice in advance.
A

If you are looking for warblers, the best spots to check (hands down) are the various suburban parks and preserves scattered around the Miami area: A.D. Barnes Park, Bill Sadowski Park, Kendall Indian Hammocks Park, Enchanted Forest Park, Greynold's Park, etc. Last year, we had 25 species of warbler confirmed to be wintering in Miami-Dade county.

The Kendall Christmas Bird Count recorded the following 17 species last year. Numbers in parentheses:

Orange-crowned Warbler (13), Nashville Warbler, Northern Parula (115), Magnolia Warbler (5), Black-throated Blue Warbler (29), Yellow-rumped Warbler (79), Black-throated Green Warbler (15), Yellow-throated Warbler (43), Pine Warbler (110), Prairie Warbler (80), Palm Warbler (500), Black-and-white Warbler (66), American Redstart (17), Worm-eating Warbler (7), Ovenbird (13), Northern Waterthrush (2), Common Yellowthroat (41)

For raptors, I am partial to Lucky Hammock/Annex area just outside of Everglades National Park. It hosts a wintering population of Swainson's Hawk, while Short-tailed Hawk and Broad-winged Hawk are frequently recorded as wintering species. Short-tailed Hawk is also commonly seen in suburban Miami.

The C-357 Sparrow Fields just outside the East Everglades entrance to the national park hosts a pair of White-tailed Kite.

Bald Eagle and Osprey (as well as Short-tailed and Red-shouldered Hawk) are easy to see at Flamingo in Everglades NP.

Hope you find these notes helpful,

One more note: Everglades vary a lot from one visit to the next. Because you were disappointed by one visit to one corner should not make you never go back.

Niels

Hello Southfloridians
Looking to explore some birding locations from Orlando south, Miami to fort Myers in November and December. I've already done all the shorebirds. Im looking for raptors and interesting warblers.
Any tips?
I was thinking of Ding Darling as one place.
I did shark valley but found the Everglades slightly disappointing.
Incredible beautiful but not much bird verify.

Thank you for any advice in advance.
A

Okeeheelee Park has a bird feeder directly behind the Nature Center that is a reliable spot for Painted Buntings.

Loxahatchee NWR is home to a population of Snail Kites. I've found that they are actually easiest to spot on the telephone wire along 441 on the eastern side of the Reserve.

Kissimmee Praire State Park, just north of Lake Okeechobee, has lots of White Tailed Kites and Crested Caracaras.

Thanks for all the advice. I just returned from a bird walk at corkscrew swap in Naples. It was ok. I'd not recommend it if you live two hours away like myself. Very little bird activity. I was told the water is high this time of year and that plays a part.
There are times I feel I'm just not good a spotting but I was with expert Birders.

High water levels might impact water birds such as herons, egrets, and storks. However, it would have no impact on the large number of passerines that winter there.

I'm surprised you were disappointed in Shark Valley, I've always enjoyed it. My highlight was a swallow tail kite. I've seen Cara Cara in Kissimmee WMA. Osprey at many locations in S Fl. There are kestrels in the city park behind my house.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back