• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help- Zermatt, Switzerland (1 Viewer)

jgrnot

Hello,

I need to book a hotel in Switzerland quickly and I was planning on Zermatt. However, one of my main concerns is that I cannot much wildlife info. Does anyone know if there is good birding/other wildlife in Zermatt? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is wildlife better in Grindelwald?

Thank you,
Jgrnot

Switzerland

jgrnot said:
Hello,

I need to book a hotel in Switzerland quickly and I was planning on Zermatt. However, one of my main concerns is that I cannot much wildlife info. Does anyone know if there is good birding/other wildlife in Zermatt? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is wildlife better in Grindelwald?

Thank you,
Jgrnot

Hello,

I never been in Switzerland for birdwatching.
Maybe this link could help You
http://www.birdlife.ch/d/home_e.html

Best regards
Dieter

jgrnot said:
Hello,

Can't say whether Gridelwald is better, but this is what I was recommended for a trip in that direction I'll be taking soon -

*c. Zermatt*

Is a great place - a bit pricy because its an exclusive resort, but the trip
to Gornergrat is worth it. You'll definitely get Alpine accentor and Alpine
Chough (they'll steal your sandwiches), Snowfinches are a bit harder. From
the top station walk uphill to the hotel terrace and then go anpother 300m
further on to the viewing platform (the foundations of the original hotel).
You'll be able to appreciate first hand what global warming is doing to
glaciers. If you have time, get the train timetable and from the top station
walk downhill to the next one down (I think its called Rotenboden - about
2-3 km) it'll be a bit knocked around as there is a lot of skiing up there
in winter which takes its toll, but the walk will let you soak it all up...

So I'll give it a go for some fantastic scenery and the choughs and Alpine Accentors. And I'll hang on to my food ;)

Chough pics and more area info here

http://www.limosaholidays.co.uk/tourDetail.cfm?tourID=204

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back