• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binoculars do you think have the most WOW factor! (1 Viewer)

It seems there's pretty much a uniformty among different people in the "wow" experience as regards its "character".

What causes "wow" in a bin? If this has been dealt with before in Bf. then sorry, and ignore.

Is "snap" or "bite" in the image enough? We can, yes, take a step back and explain what that is, and it can only help, to further clarify the whole matter, and another step back in that direction to see what causes that. That may be caused by a combination of the still more basic "wow" factors.

(A minor semantic problem here is that if we call the whole experience the "wow factor" then this is looking for factors which cause the wow factor. This is why in the second paragraph I said "wow" and not wow factor.)

Seems essential factors are resolution, contrast, brightness, field of view, sweet spot, ease of eye placement. Contrast seems to have a major role. All the factors in that list, it seems, need to be at the highest discernible level except FOV and size of sweet spot, which too though must be unusually good. Are there indefinables (or factors not easily deifned)?

Some (like me) think the criterion for an "alpha" subset of bins is optical quality (only). With that definition of "alpha" will a "wow" bin always be an "alpha"?

But, conversely, not all "alpha" bins have "wow" - by whatever definition of alpha (which has to include optical quality) and in anyone's experience, I'd think. What is lacking in those alphas?

Last edited:
How did I know that you started this thread just for a chance to spar and pump up what you now have as the best. I must just be telepathic ;)

That or the fact that at least 4 out of 5 that you listed in OP are ones that you currently own.
Of course. They wowed me when I tried them. That is why I bought them. The 8x32 SV never wowed me as much as the 8.5 x42 SV.

It seems there's pretty much a uniformty among different people in the "wow" experience as regards its "character".

What causes "wow" in a bin? If this has been dealt with before in Bf. then sorry, and ignore.

Is "snap" or "bite" in the image enough? We can, yes, take a step back and explain what that is, and it can only help, to further clarify the whole matter, and another step back in that direction to see what causes that. That may be caused by a combination of the still more basic "wow" factors.

(A minor semantic problem here is that if we call the whole experience the "wow factor" then this is looking for factors which cause the wow factor. This is why in the second paragraph I said "wow" and not wow factor.)

Seems essential factors are resolution, contrast, brightness, field of view, sweet spot, ease of eye placement. Contrast seems to have a major role. All the factors in that list, it seems, need to be at the highest discernible level except FOV and size of sweet spot, which too though must be unusually good. Are there indefinables (or factors not easily deifned)?

Some (like me) think the criterion for an "alpha" subset of bins is optical quality (only). With that definition of "alpha" will a "wow" bin always be an "alpha"?

But, conversely, not all "alpha" bins have "wow" - by whatever definition of alpha (which has to include optical quality) and in anyone's experience, I'd think. What is lacking in those alphas?
Snap is a good word to describe it. It is almost like when you put the binoculars up to your eyes you flipped a switch and this electrifying image is presented to your eyes. I think contrast, brightness and sharpness are a big part of it.

Dennis, that's a fine way to describe it further. Learnt of the word "snap" from Frank, as I recall, and "bite" from a Brit. writer in Bf. or elsewhere. But, guided somewhat by your description, thinking back of prev. experiences, and doing a bit of "binning" right now, I think many people might have such a sensation even with a bin with those parameters I listed at less than "the highest discernible level". Then again it may depend on the person - what he/she is used to, and the time - whether it's very soon afer using another and optically first-rate bin or not. With more responses - to your original post and to my queries there - more ideas may emerge!

Last edited:
For optical 'wow' - not ergonomics or build quality - my favourites are:

Nikon 8x30 EII (stunning, simply stunning)
Nikon 8x32 SE
Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 B/GA T*P* (easiest to look though)
Swarovski SLC 7x42 B
Opticron Stormbird 7x50 Marine
Opticron MCF 7x24 (amazing performance for a compact)

I haven't tried the latest and greatest models from Leica, Swaro or Zeiss, so I can't comment on those.

10x35 EII (Easier to hold than the 8x30 and possibly crisper)
8x30 EII ( Love at first view)
7x42 FL ( Most relaxing to use)
Papilio 6.5x21 (Incredible close up views - I think I actually said wow)

Interestingly none of the above, other than the FL are daily use for good practical reasons, but the daily 'hacks' don't have the same wow factor no matter how 'good' they are.

Last edited:
For optical 'wow' - not ergonomics or build quality - my favourites are:

Nikon 8x30 EII (stunning, simply stunning)
Nikon 8x32 SE
Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 B/GA T*P* (easiest to look though)
Swarovski SLC 7x42 B
Opticron Stormbird 7x50 Marine
Opticron MCF 7x24 (amazing performance for a compact)

I haven't tried the latest and greatest models from Leica, Swaro or Zeiss, so I can't comment on those.
"Nikon 8x30 EII (stunning, simply stunning)
Nikon 8x32 SE"

At least one person agrees with me. I like you.

Interestingly none of the above, other than the FL are daily use for good practical reasons, but the daily 'hacks' don't have the same wow factor no matter how 'good' they are.
"10x35 EII (Easier to hold than the 8x30 and possibly crisper)
8x30 EII ( Love at first view)"

Another EII lover. Where is Brock at when we are praising EII's.

Oh, god! Henry's favorite binoculars! How is your back carrying that behemoth 56mm Zeiss. The Nikon EII's wow me more than the Zeiss 8x32 FL's. Largely due to the expansive FOV and the good DOF. The Zeiss are nice but at twice the price?

I don`t own the 56, but it WOWED me, all things considered the absence of CA on the Fl`s wow`s me every time, love the EII`s but where I live ?, just had 60 hrs non stop rain 100+mm, rivers in spate ground saturated, an EII would be drowned, but I`v been out braving the elements, little Victory around my neck.

Came in today. Totally refurbished by Swarovski. Who the F... put's the light on.
Wow it's the Swarovski SLC 7x30. This one is for keep!!!!!

Jan.

Great bin! In 1996 the Swarovski 7x30 SLC was my first alpha bin purchase and one I spent a lot of time thinking about prior to purchase; as it was the first time I ever spent that kind of $$ on optics.

And it is a keeper for sure- don't let it go. I sold my first one a few years ago and regretted it soon after. Spent the next year looking for one to replace it; found one and glad I did- this one I am hanging on to.

Last edited:

Add #5 Bushwackers to your 8x30 EII and they will be almost as easy to hold as the 10x35s.

<B>

All the binoculars listed "wow" me. But one that consistently amazes me is the Bushnell Rangemaster 7x35 series. This was an alpha for its time and often can be found in excellent condition. I have tried to collect the whole series and lack only the first issue, but as Fan Tao's excellent web site points out, that model used BK-7 prisms. The others have Bk-4 prisms. Some claim fully coated optics.

The build quality is superb. There is nothing cheap about anything with the Rangemasters. Sixty and fifty year old Rangemasters focus smoothly and with precision. No slop. Most of the so called European alphas have internal focusing problems due to the inherent engineering problems with sophisticated designs. Not so with the Rangemasters. The Japanese designed a binocular to last a century. I have yet to find a Rangemaster with collimation problems unless there was significant abuse. Unlike many older Zeiss porros, including their superb monoculars, there is no evidence of gasification hazing deposited on the internal surfaces of Rangemasters.

My latest acquisition is a Tamron built with 11 degree FOV. (approaching fifty years old) Compared to the earlier 10 degree models from Fuji, this extra 1 degree is no gain because the edges are quite soft. But the build quality is superior to any porroa I have ever seen. This comes with some heft which reeks with quality - precision glass and metal. Based on the CPI of that era, that binocular would retail for over $1,200 today.

One of the features about the Rangemaster construction (not the newer models) is that with the eye cups removed, the viewer with spectacles can get the full FOV, and believe me a view of 525-578 feet is a "wow".

I have found several with a minor fungus spots which affects nothing in terms of the view. Most are amazing clean inside for their age. The optics are hard coated and do not scrub off like the external surfaces of the old B&L models.

The sweet spot is huge, and the models made by Fuji Optical Company have edges that are remarkably sharp. A 7x35 has the advantage of the 5 MM exit pupil which covers a wide range of lighting conditions. Seven power has been vastly underestimate IMO for today's binoculars. Many people are surprised to find out that the el cheapo 6 x30 Leupold Yosemite has a great view, a function of coatings and low power.

It is really too bad that many birders have never latched on to a Rangemaster. If they did, they would find it has considerable use in their birding activities.

Great bin! In 1996 the Swarovski 7x30 SLC was my first alpha bin purchase and one I spent a lot of time thinking about prior to purchase; as it was the first time I ever spent that kind of $$ on optics.

And it is a keeper for sure- don't let it go. I sold my first one a few years ago and regretted it soon after. Spent the next year looking for one to replace it; found one and glad I did- this one I am hanging on to.

If yours has a yellow view also, I suggest to send it to DADDY because you don't know how big the difference is.

Jan

The one current binocular that comes to mind is the 10x50 SV's! I have owned and peared through alot of glass through the years don't think i ever reacted as strongly to any other glass! If there ever was a wow, it would be it! Wow!!! Rather than that my wow's have been geared to the lesser expensive glass the last 3-5 yrs! Like, wow how much are these! Glass has improved so much in the roof's the last 20 or so years! I remember the first roof prism glass i looked through, i told myself i would never own them!!! Lol! Porro's were king, they lacked the coatings of today so they weren't as bright but, were and are pretty sharp! Bryce...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back