• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

32X objective on Televid 77 (1 Viewer)

summilux

I just made a deal on a used APO-Televid 77 with the zoom. I've also seen a very good price on a 32X objective. I will most certainly use the zoom but I wonder if the 32X might be nice to have as well. Does the 32x give noticeably nicer (sharper, easier eye positioning, wider FOV) views than the corresponding 32X on the zoom?

thanks

I have both the zoom and 32x eps for my Leica 77.

I use the zoom at lot and find it good at 20x for digiscoping. But I like the 32x for scanning large flocks where I find the increased FOV useful.

I used to own an APO77 with a zoom and added the 32x as i thought it would be useful. Six months later I sold the 32x and I had only used it twice, I liked using the zoom a lot more so I stuck with it.

I have both the zoom and 32x eps for my Leica 77.

I use the zoom at lot and find it good at 20x for digiscoping. But I like the 32x for scanning large flocks where I find the increased FOV useful.

I've had both the zoom and 32x for several years & find that nowadays (mostly through inertia) I tend to use the zoom. As far as sharpness & flatness of field is concerned, I don't think there is much to choose between the 2 eyepieces, and both provide a nice easy view. Where the 32x comes into its own, of course, is FOV which is much better than the zoom's at 32x (& if I remember correctly is even as good or better than the zoom's at 20x). And there is no doubt that it is a very good eyepiece, & a real pleasure to look through.

But here's another consideration. If I'm not mistaken the APO 77 eyepieces are not usable on the new Leicas, meaning that if you ever upgrade to the latter you'll lose your investment in them.

So, bottom line--I guess my advice would be if the price is right & you can afford it get the 32x, it's a nice toy. O/w stick to the zoom.

Edit: just noticed your handle. I cut my photographic teeth years ago on the Leica M3 & Summicron F2--a wonderful combination in its day which I regret having sold even though now I'd have very little use for it in this digital age.

Last edited:
Depends what you like the 32x does offer a much wider field with notably better eye relief, without a doubt. I know a number of professional tour leaders that use this lens exclusively but the average consumer wants the versatility of the zoom even understanding the better performance of the fixed lens.

For what it's worth, the 32x eyepieces are totally sold out in the company awith no plans to remake these so if really curious you could always do as one poster above did. Buy & resell if need be. It seems this is a real personal thing though all agree the FOV and image are more eye-pleasing but still want that versatility. Part of the reason for the introduction of the new 25-50x wide angle zoom!!

Best,

Jeff Bouton
Leica Sport Optics, USA

Just to add balance, and I'm pretty sure that I'm in a minority here, but I work 95% of the time with the 32WA, and eventually sold my Zoom to fund the purchase of a 20X.

I digiscope, and find that the 32WA works really well, and only switch to the 20X if the light is really poor or birds are really close.

Thanks for all your input. I think I will buy the 32X because it's cheap (at least for a Leica) and the wide FOV will come in handy for me. The scope will be primarily used for whale watching and I do a lot of panning and tilting to track.

i do realize that these eyepieces won't fit the new Televids. I do astronomy too and if I buy the right adapter, I can use them on my telescope. I'm sure there will be a decent used market for Televid eyepieces for some time into the future. If you ever want to sell your Leica eyepieces, particularly the zoom, they seem to sell rather briskly at www.astromart.com, a very busy community of personal and commercial sellers/users of astronomy stuff.

Fugl, I'm glad to see some Leica camera users out here. I have a triplet of Summiluxes and I think that they are the best 35mm lenses available today.

Jonathan

I like to zoom back and forth no unlike some of the other posters but optically the 32X doesn't suffer from some of the optical deficiencies of the 20-60X. I use my 32X on the scope most of the time now. It's often the ideal magnification, has a great FOV, and doesn't soften near the edges like the 20-60X does when used past 25-30X.

I think you'll enjoy that eyepiece!

Another vote for the 32X

I bought the Televid 77 with the zoom. After I acquired the 32X, I started using it almost exclusively. I eventually sold the zoom. I later bought the 20X, but I use the 32X 90% of the time. I think you'll be glad you bought it!

You mentioned an adapter to use the Televid eyepieces on a telescope. Would this allow the use of the Televid eyepieces on a Pentax spotter? It takes 1.25" eyepieces. There is an amazing deal on the 65mm Pentax at Amazon right now. It would make a nice compact second scope if I could use the eyepices I've already got.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back