• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A BETTER upgrade than the new oly 300mm f4? (1 Viewer)

Carlos,
First have a question related to your new scope and how you attach it to the head. Can you share some more information about what looks like a home-made attachment that replaces the CNC rings? Any idea about the weight? (Refer to attached picture, green arrow).

Next - I have been thinking about your concept. One idea I have is to design an add-on to a so-called "belly-boat". Just add a platform and a dome/camo net. The scope would be at ~20-25 cm above water level and needs to be operated through the LCD, which is not an issue as long as the distance to eye is comfortable. Not being constrained by water depth would be an advantage, and with flippers you can explore quite large areas. Launching and landing without putting the setup at risk might be a bit tricky though...

the cnc-rings replacement is just my old Celestron clamps/rings that I fitted a DIY dovetail rail. They are not as heavy as the cnc-rings, but not lightweight either. I had them, so I it's a quick fix at the moment. Won't do anything more permanent until I get my flocking material.

Regarding the belly boat - are you planning to sit on it, as fishers do?

here on flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/sesma...paD-aM8p4x-aM8p1R-aM8oWX-aM8oTp-aM8oQB-aM8oLZ

(not sure if the link works search for hidrohide and Ramsés Guzmán)

It's doable, but you loose the low level point of view. But on the other hand it gets you out there, if it's this or nothing.

Attachments

• P2090072.jpg
    P2090072.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 219
Camo clothing seems to help but is useless if you move.

That depends very much on the situation, at least that's my experience. Last summer I got quite a deal of sucess with several shrikes, and on different locations.

the red-backed shrike (Lanius collurio) here are very suspicious and like to keep a distance. I manage to get as close as I could - 5-6 meters (and closer, but could not take the picture of course) and them returning. And movements are slow, but indeed seen. But my scope/tripod is camo'd as well.

And lying on the ground is also very good, but not an option all the time of course (to much high grass :) )

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 229
Carlos,

Next - I have been thinking about your concept. One idea I have is to design an add-on to a so-called "belly-boat". Just add a platform and a dome/camo net. .

If you go for this or similar idea - a tip: the two "bendy" plastic rods - I bought the at Bauhaus - 7mm plastic (2 meter lenght) rör. 30:-kr each. very flexible and cheap enough to buy several. Instead of buying carbon fiber ones (from tents)

Carlos and Tord,

Instead of using this big and heavy Celestron Clamp, why don't you use 2 Stainless Steel 4 inch clamps. They are very light. I use that on my SkyWatcher and they have been there since I got the scope and the mount is still rock solid. It is also very low profile.

On the photo, I indicate where the clamp screws are, under the camo tape, and you can see the slots where the clamps go through to hold the home made base.

Quick, easy, cheap and effective !

Attachments

• mount2.jpg
    mount2.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 248
Carlos and Tord,

Instead of using this big and heavy Celestron Clamp, why don't you use 2 Stainless Steel 4 inch clamps. They are very light. I use that on my SkyWatcher and they have been there since I got the scope and the mount is still rock solid. It is also very low profile.

On the photo, I indicate where the clamp screws are, under the camo tape, and you can see the slots where the clamps go through to hold the home made base.

Quick, easy, cheap and effective !

Yes - I have the same setup - the stainless steel you have, on my celestron, and I bought a new pair to my new scope the 480mm TS. But want to wait to mount it. That's why I went with the celestron old mount.

the cnc-rings replacement is just my old Celestron clamps/rings that I fitted a DIY dovetail rail. They are not as heavy as the cnc-rings, but not lightweight either. I had them, so I it's a quick fix at the moment. Won't do anything more permanent until I get my flocking material.

Regarding the belly boat - are you planning to sit on it, as fishers do?
Yes that's the idea. I do quite a lot of flyfishing and already have waders, belly-boat, flippers and PFD. Belly-boats are very useful to explore small and medium still waters.

It's doable, but you loose the low level point of view. But on the other hand it gets you out there, if it's this or nothing.
My thought was to mount the gimbal or ball head more or less directly on the platform, not at eye level as on the photo you shared. I would have to operate the camera with the LCD tilted, I have done some low-perspective photos this way, placing the scope near ground on a bean-bag (or reversing the tripod pillar), myself sitting on ground/crouching. The ergonomy depends on the relief distance from eye to LCD, have to assess what it will be in the belly-boat before committing the project. One issue though will be launching and landing without support from an assistant since you need to remove the platform to get in/out.

3T279816.jpg

This has held tight as a drum from the beginning. There is, however, a big difference between good and cheap clamps. Don't skimp.

Thanks Jules,
I tried that method but without success. The clamps are not possible to tighten enough to get what feels like a secure assembly, the screws are slipping. Maybe poor quality?

I've used those clamps for all sorts of chores and never had a problem. They are very tight on my scope and I never had to retighten. Try a different supplier.

today was the day

too windy and big waves (for manual focus). But all in all it went well. Some minor tweeks are needed. Very few birds around, so I had only a coot, and two great crested grebe (Podiceps cristatus) but they went further away though.

it was cold, but manageble, and scope/camera did not get wet spite the waves

Attachments

• P3280176.jpg
    P3280176.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 291
  • P3280203.jpg
    P3280203.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 268
  • P3280287.jpg
    P3280287.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 278
  • P3280212.jpg
    P3280212.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 260
too windy and big waves (for manual focus). But all in all it went well. Some minor tweeks are needed. Very few birds around, so I had only a coot, and two great crested grebe (Podiceps cristatus) but they went further away though.

It seems to work great. Good for you ! I love the Grebe.

The results created by the eye level perspective look great.
Did you use a rain cover to mitigate the spash created by wind/waves?
Do you happen to have a photo showing what the setup looks like when operated?

the setup is as in the first pics http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=572638&d=1454668788

with the 480 apo. And no, no cover more than what you see in the photo here. The hood all out, very wavy, but no splashing (or none that caused problems, that is) . However, I had the scope/camera pointed down a few times, fearing it got wet, but it didn't.

Must find a way to move myself forward when not touching the bottom... :)
I guess you used a dry suit? Flippers will not be much useful since the natural way is to propel in reverse. And walking on bottom with flippers is a nightmare. The risk of front/back tilting the scope/camera into wet element could be almost eliminated by adding spacers that prevent this from happening. However exposing the setup to heavy splashes from waves would not be a good thing. I once had my TLAPO exposed to a short but heavy shower on Sri Lanka and it did not take long for water to start to condense between the elements. I was devastated. The cure was to expose the scope to heat, in my case pointing the scope towards the intense tropical sun. It took a full day for the condensation to evaporate.

I guess you used a dry suit? ............ It took a full day for the condensation to evaporate.

yes, dry suit. not really possible without it. Not here.

did not know condensation could get between the elements. And on a trip, that's frightening stuff ;-)

2nd time

Had the opportunity to train some more on a calmer lake.

all taken with the TS 480 apo and the e-m5 mk1

air temp in the morning was -1... water temp at least warmer.

Attachments

• Untitled-aa2.jpg
    Untitled-aa2.jpg
    676.8 KB · Views: 269
  • P4100603.jpg
    P4100603.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 278
  • P4100285.jpg
    P4100285.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 279
  • P4100249.jpg
    P4100249.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 274
  • P4100230.jpg
    P4100230.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 274
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back