• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor, Estonia (1 Viewer)

Doesn't look the right habitat for a Marsh Harrier Ken. Legs not powerful enough for an eagle species but pale head and impression suggests otherwise. Must be a buzzard.

Doesn't look the right habitat for a Marsh Harrier Ken. Legs not powerful enough for an eagle species but pale head and impression suggests otherwise. Must be a buzzard.

.....well I was blindfolded ;)

On a more serious note...I thought the shanks too thin and long?

Cheers

Now having taken the blindfold off! Yes it's more likely to be CB.

Last edited:
I'd concurr. Juv Honey for me. But can see where the Marsh feeling came from. Check the neck extension in image 1 for starters. Lots of other pointers too. Like hanging around visibly in trees looking like a pale-headed odd raptor. learning your trade, awkwardly without stealth mode, like a juv HB...

I don't see a HB here but a big headed CB, I don't see a tail either, only wingtips, date maybe helpful as yellow billed juvenile HB not expected before end of August

Thanks for all the comments. The picture was taken at May, 10th this year in the Kuresoo bog in Sooma National Park.

Johannes

Is it possible that pic 1 and 2/3 are not the same bird? I'm getting a distinct Marsh Harrier vibe from pic 3, a distinct Buteo vibe from pic 1, and pic 2 ambiguous (though as only the head position is different between 2 and 3 I assume they must be the same individual...)

2 and 3 are certainly the same bird. Number 1 was taken some minutes earlier and you might be right that I am mistaken and it is a different bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back