• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch 7 new 8x30 and 10x30 (1 Viewer)

Also had M7 8x42, and it does not match center resolution of 8x32SE 503xxx /edges had even bigger difference/, and compared SE to SV8,5x42 and resolution was similar, but contrast and whiteness of image was better in SV / edges was better in SV with no fall off SE has fall of in the last 10%/.
That is exactly how I feel. Right down to the 10%. Perfect.

That is not a surprise. Why would you expect it to be as good as the SE and SV?

The Monarch 7 was never meant to compete with the Swarovision which costs almost $2000.00 more. If it was that good it would also be competing with the Nikon EDG which costs about the same as the SV and that wouldn't make sense would it?

What we should be asking is why is Swarovski not making binoculars in the same price range as the Monarch 7 to compete with it!:h?:

As for the Nikon SE, everybody knows by now that it is one of the sharpest porro prism binoculars ever made but even with it's low price it's sales are limited because of a number of other reasons which have been discussed on this forum ad infinitum!

Bob

“Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious.” George Orwell
Swarovski doesn't make Nikon's. Just like Ferrari doesn't make Chevy's.

That is not a surprise. Why would you expect it to be as good as the SE and SV?

The Monarch 7 was never meant to compete with the Swarovision which costs almost $2000.00 more. If it was that good it would also be competing with the Nikon EDG which costs about the same as the SV and that wouldn't make sense would it?

What we should be asking is why is Swarovski not making binoculars in the same price range as the Monarch 7 to compete with it!:h?:

As for the Nikon SE, everybody knows by now that it is one of the sharpest porro prism binoculars ever made but even with it's low price it's sales are limited because of a number of other reasons which have been discussed on this forum ad infinitum!

Bob

“Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious.” George Orwell

Bob:

You are right on with this post, and why are so many here on a Nikon
Monarch 7 post, trying to compare it to other binoculars that are on a
different level.

Swarovski should not even enter the conversation here.

I suppose I should post about the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 and how
great the optics are. And that I do find them very close to the
Swarovski 8x32 EL.

These comparisons are mute.

Jerry

You can compare them to 32mm binoculars in their price range, $350.00 plus or minus.

This is the first time Nikon ever made an inexpensive roof prism in the 30/32mm price range. Prior to this their smallest inexpensive roof prisms were 8 x 36 and 10 x 36. Excluding their compacts of course. The 8/10 x 32 LX Ls and EDGs were and are Alphas.

Bob

Last edited:
I am comparing the Swarovision's with the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 not The Nikon. The Zeiss is more like a Mercedes. A more equal comparison.

Yes. That is more like it.

But Kestrel was comparing the Monarch 7s to the Nikon SE and Swarovski SV and you agreed with him. This is a Nikon thread on the Monarch 7's 8 and 10 x 30s so I naturally thought you were comparing them to the Swarovisions.

Last edited:
Year ago I traded M7 x42 to SE because of optical superiority of SE. Before some months traded SE for Trinovid BN, but it is another story.
I expected bigger step up of M7 from older Monarchs, when ordered 8x42 /probably was first in Slovakia/, Optical performance not surprised me ,for 470€ and manufacture in China expected that it will compete to Conquest HD. On the other hand, M7 has nice housing, fell good in hand, and finally introduces scratch resistant coating. Allbinos mentioned that gauge of tubes was loose, I noticed it also, but adjust it by screw in hinge. Maybe M7 x30 will have similar problem. Now I waiting /dreaming/ for M9 3:), with Field flatener and Apo triplet objective with ED glass, and water repellent coating, because I like Nikon as company with one of best technologic know how, competitive to famous europe manufacturers

The SEs have Field Flatteners. Monarch 7s have ED glass The EDG's have both. None have water repelling lenses that I know of.

I think you will wait a long time for a triplet APO.

Bob

Last edited:
I passed a large electronics retailer today and they happend to have the Monarch 10x30 on display. I had a quick look in less than ideal conditions (artificial light, greasy lenses and no better bin to compare with), but what I saw is bascially in line with what crinklystarfish reported above.

It fits my hands very well, and is really an nice compact binocular. Finishing and mechanics are more than ok for the price point. I couldn't really judge the last bit of sharpness in the said conditions, but it's certainly good enough to be a good buy, again considering the price (which is still a bit high but that will go down I expect).

The least I can say, this should be a great back-up bin for travels (even if you get your Swaro stolen, you still will enjoy the trip as much with these Monarchs) or a perfect option for those who don't see the point in spending fortunes.

I passed a large electronics retailer today and they happend to have the Monarch 10x30 on display. I had a quick look in less than ideal conditions (artificial light, greasy lenses and no better bin to compare with), but what I saw is bascially in line with what crinklystarfish reported above.

It fits my hands very well, and is really an nice compact binocular. Finishing and mechanics are more than ok for the price point. I couldn't really judge the last bit of sharpness in the said conditions, but it's certainly good enough to be a good buy, again considering the price (which is still a bit high but that will go down I expect).

The least I can say, this should be a great back-up bin for travels (even if you get your Swaro stolen, you still will enjoy the trip as much with these Monarchs) or a perfect option for those who don't see the point in spending fortunes.
Yea, you know the Nikon Monarch 7 is NOT going to be a Swarovision for less than $400.00. I guess what really matters is if it competes well at it's price point.

I finally got around to a shop and saw these Monarch 7 8x/10x30 for the first time. Unfortunately, gloomy rainy day here so did not spend too much time. Typical Monarch quality...precise focus, nice armor, excellent tethered lens caps, VERY LIGHT. The 8x has some field curvature as it main aberration. The 10x may have some rolling ball. Neither had much pincushion. Impossible to test for any CA given the conditions. Tempted to buy the 8x as they sell for right at JPY30,000. But then they would the most expensive binocular I own!

I finally got around to a shop and saw these Monarch 7 8x/10x30 for the first time. Unfortunately, gloomy rainy day here so did not spend too much time. Typical Monarch quality...precise focus, nice armor, excellent tethered lens caps, VERY LIGHT. The 8x has some field curvature as it main aberration. The 10x may have some rolling ball. Neither had much pincushion. Impossible to test for any CA given the conditions. Tempted to buy the 8x as they sell for right at JPY30,000. But then they would the most expensive binocular I own!
That's $300.00 dollars! That is cheap! Buy them or buy them and ship them to me. What else do you have?

Nikon 12x50SE JPY28,000
Nikon 8x/10x EII ~JPY22,000ea.
Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8x42 (2x) US$190
Bushnell Excursion 8x28 US$70
Canon 5x15 JPY7,000

Dennis, you can buy the new Nikons from Amazon JP and use Tenso.com forwarding service.

Nikon 12x50SE JPY28,000
Nikon 8x/10x EII ~JPY22,000ea.
Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8x42 (2x) US$190
Bushnell Excursion 8x28 US$70
Canon 5x15 JPY7,000

Dennis, you can buy the new Nikons from Amazon JP and use Tenso.com forwarding service.
That international shipping is pricey. They should have them here in another week or so. I just bought the Zeiss Conquest's 8x32 HD's so I can wait. If I didn't like them they would be harder to return also. I really like the Conquest's. Alpha level for less than $1K.

Swarovski doesn't make Nikon's. Just like Ferrari doesn't make Chevy's.

Not a good analogy at all since Nikon also makes some of the best binos available. A better analogy would be Swaro makes binos of Ferrai quality and doesn't bother with Chevy quality products while Nikon chooses to make both. In other words you aren't comparing apples with apples.

Steve

It is still a good analogy . Swarovski still has more panache than Nikon. A Corvette will run with a Ferrari but you still get more girls in the Ferrari. HaHa! Also, the cool thing about a Swaro is not every Tom Dick and Henry can afford one like a low end Nikon or Zenray or god forbid Bushnell. It is an exclusive club like owning a Ferrari.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back