• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maintaining a birding diary (1 Viewer)

paulnewport

I still put pen to paper when writing up my birding notes/diary. I would be interested to know others birders preferences i.e. handwritten or writing up using 'word document' etc on computer. I would like to explore some ideas for changing the way I record i.e. advantages/disadvantages. Thank You.

If we are on a specific birdwatching trip then we take a note book. My husband then puts any new birds on to his list which he keeps in excel.
However, recently we found some new birds and just remembered them till he put them on to excel.
I found a 2005 birdwatching diary that I had bought my husband which he had never used. This has a list of common British birds on it and I use it it check the many British birds that I have not seen!!
This has a place for lists so I am trying to maintain a Cheshire list as well as a 2011 list in the diary.

Hey paulnewport,

I first write down all I see in the field on a notebook I take with me everywhere birdwatching . Then I record my sightings and store them in a database online but nonetheless I still keep a hard copy and write everything down in my yearly diary afterwards.

Sometimes I'm a bit careless and lazy and I forget to write all my sightings in my diary straightaway. Infact I'm currently like 3 months back...but I no need to worry because I still would have inputed everything into my pc beforehand. I just have to copy them hand written.

To conclude I use both, but nothing in my opinion beats better pen to paper:t:

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back