• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 8x25 Canon IS 8x25 Binoculars have HARD focus! (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
Has anybody here bought a new pair of Canon 8x25 IS binoculars lately. I have recently bought and returned two pair because the focus was so hard and stiff. Anybody had similar experiences with these binoculars. Maybe there is a bad lot out there!

Dennis

Has anybody here bought a new pair of Canon 8x25 IS binoculars lately. I have recently bought and returned two pair because the focus was so hard and stiff. Anybody had similar experiences with these binoculars. Maybe there is a bad lot out there!

Dennis
I have the 8x25,10x42L and 12x36 IS II's and the 8x25's are about the same as the 10x42L's and are not stiff but my 12x36's are less stiff than the other two.

Joe

Third Pair from Amazon was a chearm.

jogiba said:
I have the 8x25,10x42L and 12x36 IS II's and the 8x25's are about the same as the 10x42L's and are not stiff but my 12x36's are less stiff than the other two.

Joe
I finally got a pair of Canon IS 8x25 that the focus wasn't too stiff. It took sending two pairs back before I was satisfied. Binoculars really can vary in quality so check them out. Optically these seem better than the other two I had also. Really a bargain for a little over $200.00 shipped from Amazon.com.

Dennis

kabsetz said:
Dennis,

It would be interesting to read a comparison between the 8x25 IS and your full-size 8x42 Zeiss.

Kimmo
The Zeiss is slightly better optically but I don't think any of the Canons and I have had several gives up much to the Zeiss's and Swarovski's. The edge sharpness of the Canon's is probably the best I have seen in any binoculars. Even better than the Zeiss. The IS sytem more than makes up for the lesser optics in what you can actually see because of all the shaking most people do. The IS system is even a big advantage on the 8x25 even though most people say they can hold an 8x25 steady. I can't! I am shaking all over even at 8X magnifications.
You know you probably get 5% better optics with the $1000+ binoculars and you really have to ask yourself if it is worth it. I don't think any more that I will spend more than $400.00 on binoculars. I think the best values in binoculars now are in the mid price ranges.

Dennis

Yeah I got a 8x25IS at Adorama focus is tight

And worse when I dial the knob, when I release it it springs back! I've had $ 20 binoculars where the focus knob is noble and true.

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back