• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New scopes in the offing? (1 Viewer)

dear john

You would have to wonder? The opposition kowa,leica and swaro have all bought out new scopes, surely zeiss will have to respond to remain competitive.

raymondjohn

Basically I think the Diascopes are fairly competitive, although by some accounts Zeiss should do something to reduce the sample variation.
Full rubber armouring would be desirable and some would welcome a 25-50x WA zoom even if it would only offer 19-38x on the 65mm scopes.
If they do a major redesign I hope they will retain the same bayonet mount and not follow Leica's bad example of making all previous eyepieces obsolete.

John

On another forum I read that the German biathlon coach (Zeiss sponsor the German team) was using a Photoscope last weekend.
I looked through one of these at the Bird Festival in Bochum in September and was most impressed with the wide angle view throughout the range.
If Zeiss have decided to go this route with a zooming objective for the Diascope successors that really would put the cat amongst the pigeons!

John

Very interesting.

An evolution from the previous scopes with "issues" addressed and I presume even newer coatings rather than a whole new model. And backward compatible too to retain current users rather than widing their choice of manufacturer when they upgrade. I wonder how much that "more than triple" EP will cost.

No moving objective focuser though, AFAIK.

From the FAQ:

http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A800347580/ContainerTitel/Victory_DiaScope/$File/frequently-asked-questions.html

When will the new DiaScope line be available? From April 2010

What are the main differences to the previous line?
The new DiaScope is a completely new product with significant improvements:

* Better imaging performance under difficult observation conditions thanks to stray light reduction
* New, innovative Dual Speed Focus (DSF)
* Complete rubber armoring
* New design
* Eyepiece lock
* New Vario 15-56x/20-75x eyepiece with high maximum magnification and large field of view

Can I continue using my previous eyepieces? Yes, without the locking function.

Are the old and new DiaScopes and accessories compatible?

Old eyepieces: Old eyepieces do not lock on the new DiaScopes.

New eyepieces: New eyepieces do not lock on the old spotting scopes.

{but at least they fit!}

Only the transport case is the right size.

{the EP is bigger}

All existing adapters (Quick camera adapter I+II, photo adapter and astro adapter) can be used with the new DiaScopes.

Are they at the SHOT show?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back