• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GS 52 ED like real alternative to Nikon ED50? (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hi,

My question is if the Opticron GS 52 ED with the HDF or SDL zoom eyepiece is a "real" alternative to the Nikon ED50 with the 13-40X zoom...or if there is too much differences...?

Anyone has compared the two tiny scopes?
Wachi.

Hi,

My question is if the Opticron GS 52 ED with the HDF or SDL zoom eyepiece is a "real" alternative to the Nikon ED50 with the 13-40X zoom...or if there is too much differences...?

Anyone has compared the two tiny scopes?
Wachi.

Hi there,

I have compared the two, but because of my position I would rather not cannot comment on how they compare.

Although I can say what the GS 52ED good points are.

The first differences compared to other Travelscopes is that it has full size 24mm telescope prisms and therefore it's light transmission is much improved. MM2 and other travelscopes only use Binocular sized prisms.

It also has a duel speed focus wheel, 2.5m close focus, a wider field of view, a lightweight magnesium tripod sleeve offering -/+ 90° each-way rotation, and a fully waterproof and nitrogen filled body, plus because it's a Japanese product a 30year guarantee.

Accessory wise, the GS52 ED is compatible with all Opticron eyepieces, digiscoping accessories and a stay on case is also available.

More info here:

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/gs52_scope.htm

Hope this helps

Rob
Opticron

Last edited:
Prism Sizes

Wachi,

There is another thread where someone asked the same question you may find helpful :

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=177026&highlight=prism

Rob,

Chris Galvin made a similar comment about the GS52's prism size on another thread :

"Further to the above review, the Nikon utilises a binocular prism unit whilst the GS 52 ED has a full-sized telescope prism unit that is shared with the GS 665 and the GS 815"

Henry Link responded as follows :

"Marketeers at work! According to Opticron the "full-sized" prism in the GS series is 24mm. The first prism in the Nikon 8x30 EII binocular is 25mm. The prisms of all the GS scopes are the same size because the focal ratio of all the objectives, regardless of aperture, are about the same, so the light cones all have about the same diameter when they reach the prism. That doesn't tell us how adequate or inadequate the prism size is, only that vignetting will be about equal in all models."

I would be interested to know what size the prism is in an ED50, and any comments you have in response.

Regards

Mark

Wachi,

There is another thread where someone asked the same question you may find helpful :

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=177026&highlight=prism

Rob,

Chris Galvin made a similar comment about the GS52's prism size on another thread :

"Further to the above review, the Nikon utilises a binocular prism unit whilst the GS 52 ED has a full-sized telescope prism unit that is shared with the GS 665 and the GS 815"

Henry Link responded as follows :

"Marketeers at work! According to Opticron the "full-sized" prism in the GS series is 24mm. The first prism in the Nikon 8x30 EII binocular is 25mm. The prisms of all the GS scopes are the same size because the focal ratio of all the objectives, regardless of aperture, are about the same, so the light cones all have about the same diameter when they reach the prism. That doesn't tell us how adequate or inadequate the prism size is, only that vignetting will be about equal in all models."

I would be interested to know what size the prism is in an ED50, and any comments you have in response.

Regards

Mark

Yes John,

I would be interested to hear what size the prism inside the Nikon ED50 is, if anyone can enlighten me?

Plus whether or not it is a BAK-4 or BAK-7 prism, if it has a twin ED element objective Lens like the GS52 ED, and why it is so much more expensive for a Chinese product?

Rob

. Plus whether or not it is a BAK-4 or BAK-7 prism, if it has a twin ED element objective Lens like the GS52 ED, and why it is so much more expensive for a Chinese product?

You probably mean BaK4 and BK7.
BaK4 has the higher refractive index so it is the preferred material for prisms in scopes or binoculars with "fast" focal ratios to prevent vignetting.
However, for "slower" focal ratios BK7 has better transmission and a higher Abbe number (less dispersion).

John

You probably mean BaK4 and BK7.
BaK4 has the higher refractive index so it is the preferred material for prisms in scopes or binoculars with "fast" focal ratios to prevent vignetting.
However, for "slower" focal ratios BK7 has better transmission and a higher Abbe number (less dispersion).

John

That's the one John ;)

Yes sorry typo's do happen on a Sat night, after some delicious red wine B :)

Hello,

How much is the eye relief of the zoom eyepiece? The ER of the 13-30X zoom eyepiece of the nikon is very small, I think? The advantage is here , also in the wide angle,
Thanks,

On the HR zoom eyerelief is 18-14mm, for the HDF its 22-17mm, on the SDL its 27-22 and on the SDLv2 its 20-18.

All those eyepieces are compatible with the GS52 and you get 13-39x mag with the HR and 12-36x mag on all the others.

Cheers, Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back