• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phil's Scribbles (1 Viewer)

Your egrets are really good Phil and the way you painted the water and got just the right amount of detail in the background tells me technically you have nothing to worry about.
How you paint your subject is down to you and how you feel about it. There's nothing wrong with changing style or medium, it's horses for courses, but if you're not happy painting in a certain way it will show in the end result, your best is the one you enjoy most whether it be photographic or semi-abstract, and the only way to find out is practise, practise, practise.

Hi Phill love the pictures
If thats me you have put in among all the people who's styles I admire and are well known artists, I'me flattered. If not I can only dream on.
Forget about being loose or to tight. Just draw and paint the way you feel and enjoy it. Looking forward to seeing lots more .

Thanks for all the comments , I see where you are coming from Wendy, in the original there is a shadow between the birds but it does'nt really show on line.Arthur I do include you amongst those who's work I admire, I really like your stuff alot.
All the encouragement is making me brave, so I'm posting some stuff I did ,last autumn I think, so we're getting more up to date.
Thanks,
Forgot to say, I sketched them in the field, but dickied them up from video at home after.

Phil.

Attachments

• DSCN7029-1.jpg
    DSCN7029-1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Lovely sketches again Phill.
Phill a feild sketch is your guide and ref only for you its not meant to be a master piece to hang straight on the wall.
I like to get down the outline of the pose detail can be put in later.
Some of the best sketches I've seen use the least lines to capture the feel or Jizz of the subject. It just comes with as we all know practise. The more you do the better you get , or thats the theory anyway.

Nice work Phil. I'm a big fan of bold, loose painting, with palette knife or big brushes. I've tried a few times and even had a modicum of success, then I start working over them with smaller brushes, I just can't resist, and that's the point where I balls 'em all up!

Why not give the birds a go with a knife and share the results?...

Woody

I particularly like the pied wags, one of my favourite birds, and I love the idea of 'dickying them up' from video!

Woody

Hi all,

Have been trying to do a bit everyday, mainly just around the house.Here's some of the better efforts. Nothing too exciting, just my local Woodies, but I suppose not everybody has Chough in their backyard.

Phil.

Attachments

• DSCN7051.jpg
    DSCN7051.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN7052-1.jpg
    DSCN7052-1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 66
Lovely drawings Phil- things don't have to be 'exciting 'do they to get some practice done. I'm trying to find time out of work to get to our local wild fowl and wetland trust. I fancy having another attempt at the tame ducks - picnic, sitting in the sun on a bench, bird seed, sketch book,sunshine! I should be so lucky.

Lovely drawings Phil- things don't have to be 'exciting 'do they to get some practice done. I'm trying to find time out of work to get to our local wild fowl and wetland trust. I fancy having another attempt at the tame ducks - picnic, sitting in the sun on a bench, bird seed, sketch book,sunshine! I should be so lucky.

been watching the forecast Wendy, you should be able to get out around November. I'm glad to say that we are not getting it as bad as you over here, but still getting plenty of rain.

Phil.

I should rename this thread "from my back door " as the only sketching I seem to do is in the morning from my back door while waiting for the kettle to boil. Any way here's a couple just to prove I am doing a bit, the LBJ is supposed to be a Linnet.

Attachments

• DSCN7121-1.jpg
    DSCN7121-1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN7124-1.jpg
    DSCN7124-1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 86
The linnet is absolutely excellent, you've captured its posture brilliantly, I really like the bottom stonechat too, you've put a lot of form into its head.

Just back! - Lovely work Phil (every cloud . . .) - the linnet study is very good and the swallows are as charming on the page as in life - lovely. Another 'keg' hander, are you? Regardless - show some more and I, for one, hope the rain keeps you in and keeps you working like this - tremendous.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back