• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diopter Settings? (1 Viewer)

giosblue

Just got two pairs of Vortex Razor Bins, 8x42 and 12x50, both give really nice views, delighted with them.
However, when I set the diopter one is minus and the other one is plus. I know it doesn't matter once it's been set, I just wondered if anyone else found this with any their bins. In theory if you wear contacts or glasses it should zero and you should be able to dial the prescription in. Lots of forum members have more than one pair, anybody else experience this?

Ron

Hi Ron

You are right in theory but this assumes that the zero position on the binos really means zero and in practice I think it rarely does. And if the dioptre adjustment is not really set to absolute zero at the factory it will be either somewhat plus or somewhat minus and this will influence where your personal setting ends up. Hence I often find my settings are quite different with different binos.

Lee

Hi Ron

You are right in theory but this assumes that the zero position on the binos really means zero and in practice I think it rarely does. And if the dioptre adjustment is not really set to absolute zero at the factory it will be either somewhat plus or somewhat minus and this will influence where your personal setting ends up. Hence I often find my settings are quite different with different binos.

Lee

In addition, you are going to have to refocus for objects at each new distance. Some folks fixate on numerals ... they shouldn't. :cat:

Bill

Hi Ron

Lee

Thanks for that Lee, puts my mind at rest. The good news is, it always ends up in the same place on both bins.

Thanks for that Lee, puts my mind at rest. The good news is, it always ends up in the same place on both bins.

You are welcome Ron although I am puzzled that your dioptre is now the same on both binos when a couple of hours ago you posted this:

"However, when I set the diopter one is minus and the other one is plus".

Enjoy your binos anyway Ron.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back