• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdfair 2019 (1 Viewer)

Wow ... the 8x30 Lynx HD+ price in the US is way higher than I thought it would be. Looks like there's only one distributor for North America and they are in Canada. On Amazon they have it for almost 700 bucks then add high shipping costs and high taxes and you're paying around 760 or so. yikes
Is their new HD+ worth that price ??

I was under the impression this would be at 400-500 (at the most) tier. Eagle Optics used to sell Kite bins and I think they were the only dealer in the US at the time. This is where Eagle is missed. Their price would very likely be better for this new Lynx.

I really miss Eagle Optics. They were very helpful and knowledgeable, had good prices and a nice selection.

Last edited:
Did anyone try the Kite Lynx HD+ ? If so, how did you like it?

Just curious ... especially about the little 8x30

I was always intrigued by the original and the new one looks pretty nice just from the photos and specs.

David (post 16) tried it and it seems, unless it was a typo, that he had mixed feelings about it.

Last edited:
David (post 16) tried it and it seems, unless it was a typo, that he had mixed feelings about it.

Yes, I read David's post, but there's not much to glean from it. I was wondering if anyone got some more time with it and could offer some more detail. I'm sure it's crowded at the Bird Fair and you probably don't get enough time with any of the binoculars to get a good evaluation.

Yes, I read David's post, but there's not much to glean from it. I was wondering if anyone got some more time with it and could offer some more detail. I'm sure it's crowded at the Bird Fair and you probably don't get enough time with any of the binoculars to get a good evaluation.

The Kite stand was very quiet when I was there and I spent about 20 minutes checking the different models in the Lynx HD range but, only compared them to the Bonelli 2.0. All I can say is the difference in view quality was larger than I had anticipated considering the price level, but wasn't really able to pinpoint exactly why. They didn't have the old Lynx x30 for comparison, but I'm pretty sure they aren't built in the same people.

David

The Kite stand was very quiet when I was there and I spent about 20 minutes checking the different models in the Lynx HD range but, only compared them to the Bonelli 2.0. All I can say is the difference in view quality was larger than I had anticipated considering the price level, but wasn't really able to pinpoint exactly why. They didn't have the old Lynx x30 for comparison, but I'm pretty sure they aren't built in the same people.

David

Thanks David.

I don't understand your last sentence. Are you saying the new Lynx is probably built by a different OEM ?

Thanks David.

I don't understand your last sentence. Are you saying the new Lynx is probably built by a different OEM ?

I was told that the original Lynx was made entirely by Kamakura Japan. I thought the new model had distinctly different physical and optical characteristics.

David

Last edited:
Did anyone try the Kite Lynx HD+ ? If so, how did you like it?

Just curious ... especially about the little 8x30

I was always intrigued by the original and the new one looks pretty nice just from the photos and specs.

I didn't try these (was running out of time somewhat) but did note their stated field of view was very impressive - 151m for the 8x30, 122m for the 10x42 and 120m for the 10x50. As some predicted, the chasing pack have now gotten so good that field of view is now one of the few things left to improve. I would have liked to have seen how good the image was across that wide field. Kamakura have, in models such as the Opticron BGA VHD, been able to achieve a very good image in a narrower field - if they, or whoever makes these, can do something similar for the Kite HD, that should make for a pretty competitive product.

I didn't try these (was running out of time somewhat) but did note their stated field of view was very impressive - 151m for the 8x30, 122m for the 10x42 and 120m for the 10x50. As some predicted, the chasing pack have now gotten so good that field of view is now one of the few things left to improve. I would have liked to have seen how good the image was across that wide field. Kamakura have, in models such as the Opticron BGA VHD, been able to achieve a very good image in a narrower field - if they, or whoever makes these, can do something similar for the Kite HD, that should make for a pretty competitive product.

I'm really intrigued by the 8x30 for it's tiny size, wide FOV and the marketing blurbs about the neutral color presentation. If it was easily available in the US I would like to compare it to my original Swaro CL 8x30 which does have a neutral color presentation. It's rather disappointing it's not sold here. Eagle Optics used to have the old Lynx. I'll probably never get the chance to try it.

It seems that there was very little in new product introductions this year at Birdfair.

Maybe as mentioned by someone, we have reached a plateau in sports optics.

Jerry

This - although a WIRI ('What i reckon is...') - might be based on a period of competition amongst the main brands, followed by a slack period as each company tries to extract every last brass farthing from their R and D + marketing before moving on. It'll all probably start up again soon, as sales of the current flagships start to lag.

. It'll all probably start up again soon, as sales of the current flagships start to lag.

Everybody is probably already well-equipped. I wonder how many will hop on a new wave of new optics, the tech should be a convincingly enough step forward for many to spend the necessary amounts again. What innovation could trigger that, wider used and affordable image stabilisation? Even wider zoom ep's on even lighter scopes?

Been meaning to finish off my report for some time but work kept intervening!

A quick jaunt around the Big Tent starting at Leica and then going towards Nikon. L had the glitziest stand and the most attractive... birds (OMG did I just say that...?!) so was heaving with people. I only had time to have a reasonable look through the 10x50 Ultravid HD+ and reacquaint myself with the 8x42 Noctivid. The Noctivid was as good as I remembered it - beautiful alpha image with Leica colours, more compact than the other alphas and with great perceived feel of quality. The only difference this time was that the impression of larger exit pupil I had felt the first time I'd tried the 8x42 wasn't as apparent. The big Ultravid was... interesting. It handled excellently, seemed very well made, and did offer what was objectively a very good image as one expects from a 10x50, but actual image quality was bettered (to my eyes anyway) by the Noctivid and also by the 10x50 Swarovision. I thought the Meopta 10x50 I'd just tried was definitely competitive image wise in most respects, except for field of view, which where the Ultravid has a small but noticeable advantage.

Honourable mention: I got to try an old 10x40B/GA Leitz Trinovid (rubber coated version) at the Infocus stand, and just loved the slim elegant design, the old school mechanical quality, how light and easy to handle it was. Alas, the left eyecup on this example had a large split in it that made me chary of folding it down. I therefore had to use it without glasses and upon doing so found that it would not focus enough beyond infinity to compensate for my shortsightedness. I tried it at targets closer in and at those distances, image quality seemed all right for a non-phase coated binocular. I couldn't disagree with the InFocus staff member who graciously allowed me to try them: "A 300 quid Opticron would be much brighter". True enough! But no Opticron ever made, with apologies to that fine company, could hope to match this classic Leitz in history, in feel, or in sheer absolute sexiness... sorry I meant to say "desirability"! If only, if only Leica had pressed on with the updated classic Trinovid project...

Quickly passing through the "S" area. I was less interested in these as I often get the chance to use my brother's 8.5x42 SV, but did make sure to look through the 8x56 SLC again and found myself every bit as impressed as I'd been the last time. This thing is heavy and bulky and would be an absolute pain in the arse to haul around, but offers a quite incredible image - steady (partly due to its heft, partly due to the effortless eye placement allowed by the huge exit pupil), superbly bright, sharp, detailed, stunning in every respect... I can't praise it enough. I made a great mistake not looking through the Nikon WX at the N area as I really ought to have compared the two in the same light and terrain. That's how highly I think of the big SLC. It's just a damn shame a 8x56 is ridiculously large for the birding I do for which I prefer an 8x, and that the spots where a x56 can be used require more magnification... The 10x50 SV was also excellent and comes in a handier package, not as handy as the Ultravid but with a superior image. This in my opinion is the best 10x50 around.

Zeiss - I only handled the 10x42 SF briefly. The combination of balance and design that makes for exceptional handling and light perceived weight continued to impress me, as did the view it offers. This is the alpha that suits my own birding the best, even though apparent build quality was not as impressive as its competitors. The new eyecups... I didn't fiddle around with them a lot, but if I'm not wrong they are the same shape/design as the old ones, but made from a softer more rubbery material. The new material hasn't changed the main thing I disliked about the old ones, the fact that their design/shape allows dust, or worse, to get behind them when extended. This isn't a problem if the eyecups are fully down all the time, but the latest alphas offer so much eye relief I need to wind out the eyecups a little. Lightweight they may be, and I appreciate that most users are likely never to have the issues I think might happen - but I'd much rather the eyecups be solid, whether plastic coated metal or just solid plastic, as they are in the other alphas, the HTs, the Meostars, even the Conquests. Speaking of the latter, I was actually more interested in the Conquest 10x42 HD, which I did look through/over quite carefully. More later...

Nikon - most of the visitors here were gathered around the photography end so I had the opportunity to closely compare the highly competent Monarch HG 10x42 and the superb 10x42 EDG, which comments were noted in a thread in the Nikon forum https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3897963&postcount=23.

Meostar 10x42 HD vs Monarch HG 10x42 vs Conquest 10x42 HD vs Canon 10x42 IS L - My main reason for visiting Birdfair this year was to closely compare the sub-alphas, and fortunately I did have the time and opportunity to do this. Regretfully I didn't think to add Kowa's premium range my list (particularly stupid of me given how impressed I'd been by their lowly 6x30 YF plastic porro). I'll resume over the weekend as comparing this group of really excellent binoculars deserves a separate post. Hope others have found my ramblings of some interest!

Last edited:
Nice ramblings Patudo and it made me smile when you apologised for 'sexiness' but not for 'arse'! Looking forward to the next one.

BTW the SF eyecups remove and replace easily so cleaning them inside if required is straightforward.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back