• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Replacing tripod head (1 Viewer)

deborahp

This is the top of a Slik 500G tripod I've had for 20 years or more and the head is broken. I don't know what kind of mount I need. The Bogen - Manfrotto 3025 3D Junior Head looks good, but it says it the 'connect to tripod' is "3/8"-16" while the Slik SH-704E Compact & Light 3-Way Pan Tripod Head with Quick Release says "1/4-20". Since I see nothing resembling a thread on mine, I take it neither will work.

The JTL TH-33 Three Way Pan Tilt Head with Quick Release doesn't say anything about a thread, and appears to be a clamp-on type, but I can't really tell if it's the right type for this mount:

http://www.adorama.com/JTTH33.html

The old head said 'Slik 38' on it but the new version doesn't look sturdy enough for a heavy lens, so does anyone know what brand or type might fit? Thanks for any suggestions.

2005_0902Image0001a.jpg

deborahp said:
This is the top of a Slik 500G tripod I've had for 20 years or more and the head is broken. I don't know what kind of mount I need. The Bogen - Manfrotto 3025 3D Junior Head looks good, but it says it the 'connect to tripod' is "3/8"-16" while the Slik SH-704E Compact & Light 3-Way Pan Tripod Head with Quick Release says "1/4-20". Since I see nothing resembling a thread on mine, I take it neither will work.

The JTL TH-33 Three Way Pan Tilt Head with Quick Release doesn't say anything about a thread, and appears to be a clamp-on type, but I can't really tell if it's the right type for this mount:

http://www.adorama.com/JTTH33.html

The old head said 'Slik 38' on it but the new version doesn't look sturdy enough for a heavy lens, so does anyone know what brand or type might fit? Thanks for any suggestions.

2005_0902Image0001a.jpg
If you read the thread before yours called benbo tripod help it will solve all your problems Regards Snapper.

snapper said:
If you read the thread before yours called benbo tripod help it will solve all your problems Regards Snapper.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how. This tripod has no threads at all, so there's nothing to attach an adapter like that to. The top of the center column is visible below; the old head clamps on with the knob on the left.

2005_0902Image0009a.jpg

Usually, the top part (indicated by yellow pointer in picture below) unscrews from the column to enable a replacement head to be fitted. If the thread in the head is too large for the screw fixing in the top of the column, a small thread adaptor bush will be required - i.e. 3/8 to 1/4(B.S.W).
From personal experience, it may need quite some effort to remove the top part from the column!

Roger

Attachments

• ScreenShot018.bmp
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,287
rogerscoth said:
Usually, the top part (indicated by yellow pointer in picture below) unscrews from the column to enable a replacement head to be fitted. If the thread in the head is too large for the screw fixing in the top of the column, a small thread adaptor bush will be required - i.e. 3/8 to 1/4(B.S.W).
From personal experience, it may need quite some effort to remove the top part from the column!

Roger

Thanks, Roger. I tried applying two wrenches and had no luck.

I wanted to keep the legs because they only weigh a pound and are perfect for hiking and setting up over obstructions like rocks with no braces in the way.

A simpler solution than fixing the old one is the Sunpak 9001UT tripod with a 3-way head, 2 quick release pans, and bubble levels I found at Amazon for $21 less than at Adorama including shipping. It only weighs 3 lbs, is for heavier cameras (6 lbs), and the leg locks look like less of a nuisance too.

SLIK 500G tripod head

Thanks, Roger. I tried applying two wrenches and had no luck.

I wanted to keep the legs because they only weigh a pound and are perfect for hiking and setting up over obstructions like rocks with no braces in the way.

A simpler solution than fixing the old one is the Sunpak 9001UT tripod with a 3-way head, 2 quick release pans, and bubble levels I found at Amazon for $21 less than at Adorama including shipping. It only weighs 3 lbs, is for heavier cameras (6 lbs), and the leg locks look like less of a nuisance too.

Deborah, I retrieved this from a Google search. Did you ever find a suitable head for the 500g Tripod? I've the same problem. I realize you bought another system, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. regards, chuck

I’m bringing this thread back from the dead in hopes it will help people looking for replacement heads for their Slik 500G tripods.

The U.S. distributor of Slik products, THK Photo Products, has replacement heads and every other part you might need for a 500G. A schematic is available as a Google Doc at http://bit.ly/o7G6Y3 . Orders may be placed by contacting [email protected] .

Hope this helps!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back