• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (2 Viewers)

Waders starting to move into the glens despite the amount of snow there, Curlews, Lapwings and Oystercatchers. Had a Ringed Plover at Auchindorie pool and a colour-ringed Redshank at Kinnordy Loch, think it is the same female which appeared last year.
Also seeing Otters fairly frequently on the loch too, still quite a few Whoopers there, probably over fifty I think.
Went down to Montrose Basin later in the day, fairly quiet as the tide was in. Did have a lot of snipe up the Lurgies and a couple of Jack Snipe which were good to see.
Back home in the garden we have at least seven Brambling and up to six Yellowhammers , great to watch !

Last edited:
It is with great sadness that I learned that Gerard (Gerry) Owens from Grangemouth died from a massive heart attack earlier today. Gerry was a close friend of mine and one of our twitching crew in the 1980's. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

Alex

I'll see you at Gerry's funeral on Friday.
As Rob said a very sad loss indeed to Scottish Birding, never mind Fife, Lothians etc.
One of life's real ''good guys''. I still can't believe I won't be able to spend time with Gerry again.
Malc

red throated diver still in Dundee city quay, the bird was quite happy to sit on the water with a herring gull swimming nearby,a black headed gull landed and the diver began diving and resurfacing below the bh gull much to the gulls annoyance ,the bh gull eventually flew off

keptie pond Arbroath
3 goosanders 2males and 1 female,it looks like one of the males has matched up with the female and the other male is trying to move in,a lot of chasing going on,

Arbroath cliffs
1 puffin ,2 small rafts of razorbills, guilemots on the water and ledges,fulmars,rock pipit,4linnets,skylark.yellowhammer,dunnock,kittiwake,1 great black backed gull,1 kestrel,herring gulls,fulmars,eiders,pied wagtail,meadow pipts,oystercatchers,curlew,a shag which is usually sitting on a nest by now was going through a display,it was snapping its beak as though it was catching insects then twisting its head back and looking upwards ,I have been watching a bridled guillemot here for a few years hopefully it has survived the recent storms

Attachments

• diver.JPG
    diver.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 52
  • dunnock.JPG
    dunnock.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 51
  • dunnocksing.JPG
    dunnocksing.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 52
  • goosander.JPG
    goosander.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 57
  • yllowhammer.JPG
    yllowhammer.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 47
Alex

I'll see you at Gerry's funeral on Friday.
As Rob said a very sad loss indeed to Scottish Birding, never mind Fife, Lothians etc.
One of life's real ''good guys''. I still can't believe I won't be able to spend time with Gerry again.
Malc

It will be good to catch up Malc, just a shame it's in such circumstances.
regards

Alex

Migrants starting to appear now, Sand Martin, Swallow & Little Gull on lochs near Forfar.
Still plenty winter visitors hanging around yet though, hundreds of Goldeneye on the local lochs as well as Whoopers and the Smew at Kinnordy Loch.
Have also had a couple of Jack Snipe and quite a few Woodcock near Montrose lately.
Some quite big groups of Blackbirds around today up the glens and plenty of thrushes, mainly Mistle, but quite a few Song Thrushes too.
Still have a couple of Redwings near Montrose Basin yet.
A Chiffchaff has been reported by the volounteer wardens at Kinnordy Loch and am starting to see more Goldcrests around too.
Still have around 7 or 8 Bramblings coming to my feeders in the garden yet, the males are colouring up nicely.

25 Waxwings in trees between Perth Road and Riverside Avenue, Dundee around 5pm, at the path to Riverside Nature Park under the railway. Been my best ever winter for Waxwings having found them myself around 10 times or so, as well as going to see some found by others a few times too.

Attachments

• 300_6907 20130413_162226 .jpg
    300_6907 20130413_162226 .jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 300_6905 20130413_162209 .jpg
    300_6905 20130413_162209 .jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 73
I'll be going on a geological field trip in Kinghorn a week on Sunday. I'm thinking of going over on Saturday to get a bit of birding in the area first, can anyone recommend the best locations nearby at this time of year?

Thanks.

loch of lintrathen
a tree has been blown over and has landed on the bridge leading to the elevated hide,the bridge is damaged but can be crossed with caution,1 male smew seen from this hide/2 jays/4 great crested grebes/1 dipper/goldeneye/wigeon/tufted ducks/mutes/large flock of common gull/bh gulls/cormorants/pied wagtail/blue tit/coal tit/carrion crow/buzzard/coots/robin/oystercatchers

backwater

8 black grouse seen more heard/4 common sandpipers/1 swallow/2 female reedbuntings/4 pied wagtails/curlew/oystercatchers/displaying lapwings/mistle thrushes/blackbirds/common gulls/1 lssb gull/mallard/1 pair of wigeon/1 kestrel/meadow pipits/chaffinch/robin
5 hares/3 roe deer

Attachments

• smew.JPG
    smew.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 80
  • bgrouse.jpg
    bgrouse.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 75
  • mpipit.JPG
    mpipit.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 63
  • haresb.jpg
    haresb.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 72
17 Apr -rainy tour of Angus

Loch of Kinnordy 10am-12pm
Swallows and sand martins flying around. 5 little grebes seen from the Gullery hide. Also Teal, a pair of Gadwall, a single blackheaded gull, coots, mute swans, 1 osprey flying around and sitting in the nestbox tree, a pair of shoveller, greylag geese, mallards, tufted ducks, moorhens, 2 whoopers at the back on the right near the telegraph poles, a single lapwing, a cormorant, 4 wigeon and 2 redshank.
On the path/feeders were woodpigeon, long tailed tits, crows, coal/blue/great tits, brambling, robin, pheasant, blackbirds and 2 red squirrels.
Other species seen from the east hide were a wren, chaffinch, reed buntings, oystercatchers, goldeneye, common gull, grey heron and a woodpecker was heard. Also, an otter popped up briefly on the edge of the water. Also, possibly a chiffchaff but flew off before I could photograph it to confirm.

Loch of Lintrathen (small hide only) 1pm
Pied wagtals, loads of Swallows and sand martins flying around, great crested grebes, goldeneyes, tufted ducks, mute swans, coots, black headed gulls and a robin.

Balgavies loch 3pm
2 osprey and a cormorant on the island. About the feeders were coal/blue/great tits, dunnock, chaffinches and a great spotted woodpecker. A grey heron on its nest with another briefly appearing. A wren, 2 song thrushes, a single white duck, mallard, moorhens, greylag geese, mute swans, swallows, sand martins, tufted ducks and 2 buzzards flew by. Also heard a willow warbler song to the far left of the hide and a small vole/mouse ran across the ground in front of the hide.

Other species seen whilst driving were red-legged partidges (nr Lintrathen), jackdaws, starlings, rooks, greater and lesser black backed gulls (Forfar area), a flock of meadow pipits (nr Lintrathen) and 2 wheatears on some straw/dungs piles between Kirkton of Kingoldrum and Lintrathen (B951) at the sharp left hand turn.

Overall 51 bird species seen and 3 mammalian ones.

Morton lochs

1m blackcap/m/f siskins/willow warblers everywhere (only 1 heard singing) long tailed tit(1)blue tits/great tits/yellowhammer/goldfinches/wrens/blackbirds/swallows/1 mistle thrush/buzzard/chaffinch/pied wagtail/woodpigeon/quite a few robins including what looked like an adult male feeding another adult male ?/1 Canada goose/3 teals/3 little grebes /mutes/8 mallard ducklings/chiffchaff and great spotted woodpecker heard,not a single toad seen

tayport shoreline 5 sandwich terns

tentsmuir point

flock of nearly 90 waders sheltering in the dunes ,I thought they were all ringed plovers but looking at my pics there were some dunlin too,1 f wheatear/swallows/skylarks/shellducks/meadow pippits/pied wagtails/2 great black backed gulls with a large juv swimming nearby

Attachments

• canadagoose.JPG
    canadagoose.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 34
  • mallards.JPG
    mallards.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 42
  • robin2.JPG
    robin2.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 39
  • waders.JPG
    waders.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7853.JPG
    IMG_7853.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 47
Angus Glen - 7 May

Went for a slow drive up a glen, followed by a wee walk at the end of it.

Jackdaw, rook, woodpigeon, red-legged partridge, chaffinch, pheasant, swallows, sand martins, lapwings, curlew, oystercatcher, pied wagtails, wheatears, mistle and song thrushes, blackbird, buzzard all seen on the drive up the glen. Also heard red grouse and willow warblers.

On the walk, we saw chaffinch, willow warblers, redstarts, meadow pipits, osprey, buzzard, common sandpipers, oystercatchers, mistle thrushes, swallows, ring ouzel, blackbirds, robin, dunnock, red legged partridge, pied wagtails, greenfinch, great/blue/coal tits.

On the drive back, we saw a cuckoo on a wire.

Have had a very good weekend birding in Angus, started off by going up Glas Maol on friday after work.....in windy conditions I found Dotterel,Ptarmigan ,Golden Plover and a Swallow not too far from the summit too !
Saturday produced Garganey at Kinnordy loch, Wood Sandpiper at Montrose Basin and a Ring-necked Duck at Forfar loch.
Today we headed to the coast and had Great Skua, Manx Shearwaters and 6 Whimbrel at Usan, Red-backed Shrike at Windyhills and a superb male Rosefinch at Auchmithie.a lifer for me.
Finished up this evening back at Kinnordy Loch watching Garganeys and the Green-winged Teal.

Last edited:
Hi going up 2 loch Oisinneach mor/loch Ordie area on friday 4 the bank holiday, is there any gud birding sites nearby, i no loch of lowes for the Osprey but wud like summat a bit more off the beaten track.....thanks

Angus mini tour

Popped down to Auchmithie first, missed the rosefinch (but it is still there apparently). Did see several whitethroats, yellowhammers, wren, house martins, fulmars on the cliffs, possibly a few puffins distantly sleeping on the sea and a distant diver.

Headed towards Ethie Mains, seeing a corn bunting on the way. Saw a red backed shrike (eventually) with several sedge warblers, yellowhammers, whitethroats and a song thrush.

Then, off to Forfar Loch for a picninc lunch. Lots of nesting great crested grebes and coots. Whilst scanning to try and find the ring necked duck, my wife spotted a differently looking 'duck' in the distance near the viewing platform. So, we headed round and discovered it was a male garganey. Then we spotted the ring necked duck. Had a mallard swim by with 10 ducklings and a sedge warbler singing close by. Plenty of Tufted ducks, greylag geese, lesser black backed gulls and goosander around too.

Then off to Kinnordy loch. Osprey fishing, male marsh harrier flew around, black headed gulls, lapwing, oystercatchers and redshank on the bogbean. Had a grey heron stalking the bogbean furthest from the gullery hide.

A good day, 6 new birds for the year, with 3 lifers!

Last edited:
Glen Clova - Sunday May 19th

Was very chuffed to see a male Pied Flycatcher - only the second one I've ever seen. Heard my first cuckoo of this year too moments later.

Brief visit to Lunan Bay hide today.

6 gannets flying around and feeding, a long tailed duck near one of the fishing nets, a group of sandwich and common terns (~30 of each) and 1 little tern hiding amongst them. 6 oystercatchers, a few razorbills on the sea, herring gulls and not a lot else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back