• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to bird watching (2 Viewers)

Mark S

Love Nature
Hi to all, My name is Mark and i'm new to bird watching. I was walking with my wife at Cambois beach in Northumberland close to where we live. A bird flew in front of us with a red chest and a bright blue back about six inches tall. Could this be an Eastern or Western Bluebird? The next bird I need help with in the same ares was white chest and under wings with a brown speckled back and top wings.

Many thanks
Mark

It's very unlikely you saw an Eastern or Western Bluebird as they are North American species that have never been recorded in the UK. Perhaps it was a male Chaffinch. Enjoy your new pastime, a field guide for the Birds of Britain may help you.

Hello Mark and welcome to the forum from all the staff, enjoy and all the best and have a good look around the gallery and maybe you will find your bird, good luck.

Hi Mark and welcome to BirdForum. Given you were on the beach I think Interoception maybe right. The Collins Bird Guide is an excellent resource if you were looking to get a book. Don't worry about getting things wrong either. My birding buddy only started approx.. 6 years ago when every bird he saw was a Tern:-O He's much better now.

Not sure about the brown speckled bird. How big was it?

Rich

Tail feathers where to long for a king fisher, would they be close to the sea? Spotted on the rocks north side of the river Blyth. Thought it might be a common blue kingfisher but it had longer tail feathers.
Thanks for getting back to me.
Mark

I'll check a few photos and books out to make sure. The white and brown speckled bird was about 4 to 5 inches tall bright white body and underneath wings, brown speckled back and top wings a bit like a songthrush chest.

Yes, Kingfishers do visit the coastline during the Winter months and can be seen perched on rocks, groynes and anything handy whilst they wait, hunt.
Try looking up Rock or Meadow Pipit.

Reed Bunting perhaps? Either way, great fun, challenging and exciting when you see a new species. Also listen out for their calls as this aids identification too.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi and welcome,

I am always getting IDs wrong - but the patient people on this forum have helped me greatly in the last 2 years since I started.

Was the other bird on the shore line? Could it be a sandpiper?

Result, yes it is. Iv'e been looking through a few books and spotted it. Normally see them at waters edge at a distance not by it self up the top of the rocks and dunes.

many thanks for your help

Not sure which sandpiper it was but with my new binoculars i'm hoping to find out. As i'm new to bird watching i had a look on Gumtree and bought a pair of Nickon Aculon A211 10-22x50 with zoom lens, as new condition hopefully they'll do the job.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back