• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hotels near to S'ALBUFERA DE MALLORCA, Alcudia (1 Viewer)

Marmot

I am thinking of staying in Alcudia in September / October so we can visit the S'albufera Nature Reserve.

Is it worth visiting at that time of year?

Has anyone visited this area and can anyone recommend any Hotels near to this area. I believe it is near to the Playa de Muro area? but I may be wrong.

Last edited:
Marmot said:
I am thinking of staying in Alcudia in September / October so we can visit the S'albufera Nature Reserve.

Has anyone visited this area and can anyone recommend any Hotels near to this area. I believe it is near to the Playa de Muro area? but I may be wrong.
There is a good variety of Hotels in Alcudia and the surrounding area. It is near to the Playa de Muro area. We stayed at the Pollensa Park hotel in Puerto Pollensa during early and mid November in 2000 and 2001. This was a reasonable and comfortable hotel just a few miles from the S'albufera reserve. When we went there cars were not allowed into the reserve, but you could park nearby. If you do not hire a car there is a frequent bus service along the coast road.
There are still a few good birds around in November, one day about 50 Crag Martins were flying and settling around the hotel. In the other direction, not far from Puerto Pollensa is the Bocquer Valley that leads down to the sea along a twisty, rocky path. There are usually some good birds in this area.
A good book to get is 'A Birdwatching Guide To Majorca' by Graham Hearl and Jon King- Graham Hearl lived not far from the reserve for many years until he passed away recently.

Roger

Puerto Pollensa is near the Albufereta Marsh NOT Parc Natural S'Albufera. Take heed on that note. However if you want S'Albufera then try getting into Alcudia Pins. We stayed there and had great access to the reserve from several points. You can get on a bus outside the hotel to travel a coupla minutes to the reserve's proper entrance. If you have a bit of money and will pay for something a bit upmarket then try for Hotel Parc Natural which is right on the doorstep of the nature reserve's entrance.

Alcudia Pins has it's own shop with another two close by for choice. Try for a self catering room to give flexibility. The bus service takes you right up to Peurto Pollensa for the Bocquer Valley and Postage Stamp Wood. I would hire a car through the hotel's cheapo service rather than Avis for a good deal. You should get a car for the Cuber Reservoir and the many far off places.

Hearl's book is much better than Gosney's photocopied version. Goseney's is vastly out of date. Hearl's is a bit in a few places too though. One word of note about Cases Velles, you can only view from the road now.

Andrew said:
Puerto Pollensa is near the Albufereta Marsh NOT Parc Natural S'Albufera. Take heed on that note.
Andrew,
That is why I suggested buying Graham Hearl's book; it clearly identifies the birding hot-spots on Majorca in the various sketch maps. Graham also mentions that situations re. access can change at any time. I mentioned that Puerto Pollensa was a few miles from the reserve, because that is where I stayed in a hotel.
In April 1999 I stayed (self-catering) in Alcudia and hired a bicycle to travel to and around the reserve; it covers quite a large area that can give one aching legs when walking all round, especially if the weather is warm.

Roger

We stayed at the Alcudia Pins in April 1999 - bang on the beach (Audouin's Gull!) and easy walk to either of the main reserve entrance or the alternatives "Old Salinas" route in.

It is excellently placed for access to what I consider to be a fantastic reserve, which should be excellent at the time you are planning.

Puerto Pollenca has more charm than Alcudia, but the benefit of staying on the Albufera side of Alcudia is that the reserve is best done on foot or bike. The variety of habitats means that you should see a super array of Mediterranean birds.

As suggested above, you will want to get towards Pollenca and the hills for birds such as Black Vulture etc but I'd say that Alcudia is not a bad base at all. Be careful though - some hotels are quite some way from the reserve!

GHs book is excellent for the maps alone.

PS - there can be some cracking "deals" on holidays from UK to Alcudia - there are a lot of hotels to fill outside of the prime school holidy period!

rogerscoth said:
Andrew, But, as they say, it's worth it! Even though you cannot choose your relatives.:stuck:

Roger
Very much worth it!

(I was referring to the walk from Alcudia Pins to the Salinas then through the reserve onto the visitor centre and back out again to catch a bus to the hotel. Sounds easy doesn't it?)

I'm visiting majorca on the 13th of sept, were staying in the jupiter saturno, i'm told its quite close by (full of kids however)

Birding around Alcudia

First time I went birding in the north of Mallorca I stayed in a hotel in Alcudia Bay near the marsh reserve (can't remember the name though) I hired a bike to go around on and got locked in the reserve, did not realise the had a closing time - so check it out.
Then I went by bus to Puerto Pollensa, which for me is a much nicer resort. Alcudia is very busy, with some high rise hotels.
Second visit stayed in a small hotel in Puerto Pollensa (there is only one big one there) and visited Alcudia by bus, which was much better in terms of comfort & birding.
Both of my visits were in October.

Marmot said:

Hi Marmot

If you are hiring a car (definitely a good idea), I would stay in Pollenca.
It's a much nicer resort than Alcudia (IMHO). Alcudia is very big....Pollenca is smaller and more pleasant to stroll around and enjoy.
Also Pollenca is, as has been mentioned by others, next to the Bocquer Valley, closer to the mountains and only about 10 minutes by car from S'Albufera.

If you do hire a car there are plenty of places to visit for birding...the Arta mountains, Salobrar de Campos in south, even Cala Bona the East coast will give you Audouin's Gull right in front of you and flying past your head!

A lot is made of the main birding centres on Mallorca but even a drive through the centre of the island will give you some very nice birding areas...it's a lovely island!

paj

I agree with the above, but if you don't have a car there is an excellent bus service between Puerto Pollenca and C'an Picafort that runs through Alcudia and will drop you off at the entrance to S'Albufera. The service is half hourly or hourly throughout the day, takes 30-35min from Puerto Pollenca and only costs about one Euro.

S'Albufera is good right from the entrance. There is a roost/breeding colony of Little Egrets, Cattle Egrets, Night Herons and Squacco Herons in the pines at the entrance and the path along the canal to the visitors' centre is also good for birds. (I've only been in the spring and summer, so I don't know how this will apply to October). There is no advantage of having a car over a bus (other than the quicker trip) because the bus stop is at the same place as you have to leave your car.

Give yourself a full day to do S'Albufera justice and visit more than once. The Cim hide (opposite the visitors' centre) and the Bishop hides (on the other side of the canal behind the visitors' centre have always been the best spots for me, but the tracks leading around the reserve are also good, with viewpoints over the marsh.

Puerto Pollenca also puts you within walking distance of the Albufereta marsh, which is also good (but not as good as the main reserve).

Enjoy your trip.

Alan

Last edited:
Alan Seaton said:
I agree with the above, but if you don't have a car there is an excellent bus service between Puerto Pollenca and C'an Picafort that runs through Alcudia and will drop you off at the entrance to S'Albufera. The service is half hourly or hourly throughout the day, takes 30-35min from Puerto Pollenca and only costs about one Euro.

S'Albufera is good right from the entrance. There is a roost/breeding colony of Little Egrets, Cattle Egrets, Night Herons and Squacco Herons in the pines at the entrance and the path along the canal to the visitors' centre is also good for birds. (I've only been in the spring and summer, so I don't know how this will apply to October). There is no advantage of having a car over a bus (other than the quicker trip) because the bus stop is at the same place as you have to leave your car.

Give yourself a full day to do S'Albufera justice and visit more than once. The Cim hide (opposite the visitors' centre) and the Bishop hides (on the other side of the canal behind the visitors' centre have always been the best spots for me, but the tracks leading around the reserve are also good, with viewpoints over the marsh.

Puerto Pollenca also puts you within walking distance of the Albufereta marsh, which is also good (but not as good as the main reserve).

Enjoy your trip.

Alan

When I was there in May, the Tower Hide was closed, so I'd check at reception if you are thinking of taking the long walk to the Tower.

paj

If at all possible hire a car as there are many sites worth a visit in sept/early October. I would agree with Paj that if you have a car Puerto Pollensa is a more pleasant base than Alcudia & is ideal for the Bocquer & heading off into the hills.
Frequent visits to Bocquer may be needed to pick up Black (& possibly Egyptian) Vulture as well as Booted Eagle & possibly the odd migrant raptor (Black Kite, Honey B, Montagu H). Remember to check out the fig trees by the Bocquer Finca gate-great for various species of Warblers while careful scanning of the Orchard area should reveal Hoopoe & possibly Wryneck (they may possibly winter here). Balearic warbler can usually be seen in the scrub further up after passing between the large "boulders" but may need to be worked for. The bay at the end of the valley often holds an Audouin's gull or two & desmarestii ssp of Shag (the juvs are markedly paler in the belly than are our birds)-its also a good site for a picnic.
Formentor (stopping by Cases Velles) is worthwhile for migrant passerines & especially Eleonora's Falcon. Look out for Crossbills in the pines by the Hotel Formentor beach. We also saw the Balearic race (??) of Spotted Flycatcher (adults + late fledged juvs) here in Oct 2003.
Recently fledged Falcons are all around at the Formentor lighthouse & can be watched over a coffee chasing incoming passerines. This is one site/sight you shouldn't miss. In autumn these falcons are two-a-penny at this site & usually depart for Madagascar at the end of october.
The Albufereta is a short drive from P.Pollensa & often holds Osprey whilst adjacent dry fields will often hold a few Stone Curlew.
A drive to S'Albufera from PP will take about 25-35 mins. In Oct 2003 I had Marsh Sandpiper (a Spanish rarity-got good pics), plenty of Spotted Redshank, Little Stint, Curlew Sands, Green & Wood Sands, Glossy & Sacred Ibis (? one of the feral French birds), Spoonbill & quite a few Little Bittern (by the 3 bridges). A drive to the nearby saltpans & sewage works is also worthwhile-we had Black Tern & more Curlew Sands. There are also always a few Great White Egrets about from september onwards whilst Night Herons & possibly the odd Squacco may be evident at the mixed heron roost at the park entrance.
There is still plenty to see in october but I strongly feel you need to have a car to make the best of it. The restaurants in PP are much better than in Alcudia which has a Blackpool feel to it with McDonalds, etc in evidence. In PP-try the Chinese restaurant near the harbour -the food was excellent. There are also a number of good "local" restaurants producing quality Mallorquin dishes (definitely not vegetarian!!).
Where ever you end up I'm sure you'll have a good time.

Agree with Steve G above re hire a car and then get out around the island. We stayed in C'an Pickafort in 2002. Having a car meant that Father in Law and I could get around birdwatching whilst also sightseeing to appease our respective better halves who despite our best efforts just didn't understand our discussion over the Marsh Harrier, Eleonora's Falcon, Night Herons and waders we saw in one afternoon.

Just bringing this one back into play, we are never went to Alcudia (went to Cala Bona instead).

We have now decided that we may go in May 2006 any ideas on what we may see.

Marmot said:
Just bringing this one back into play, we are never went to Alcudia (went to Cala Bona instead).

We have now decided that we may go in May 2006 any ideas on what we may see.

Marmot

Late April and May is just about the best time to go!

Type 'Mallorca Bird Report' into Google and you'll get plenty of information.

Cala Bona is nice though isn't it?

paj

Rob Smallwood said:
Cala Bona is MUCH nicer than Alcudia - but the birding isn't as good!

You're right Rob but, take a look at IanF's report from Cala Bona to see just how good it can be!

paj

paj said:
Marmot

Late April and May is just about the best time to go!

Type 'Mallorca Bird Report' into Google and you'll get plenty of information.

Cala Bona is nice though isn't it?

paj

I have had a look at the reports on google, many thanks.

We (Ian & Me - Yes he's my other half) have been to Cala Bona for the past 12 years and love the place, we are not ones for lying on beaches and spend most of the time walking around the countryside nearby. It is so good to see new birds and especially the Audoins Gulls (about 5 of them that come to the bay outside our hotel), I just wish the Hoopoes were a still and patient as they are.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back