• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wildlife Lister (Birds). Any good? (1 Viewer)

Hi blincodave
I have recommended Wildlife Lister(birds) on a recent thead.
I have run it for over a year now,linked to my pocket PC. The transfer of data is simplicity itself.Its very user friendly and the after-sales back-up is very good.
Hope this helps
Regards Roger

I can recommend this software to. Pretty easy to use and the voice recognition works really well and speeds the whole process up.

I think it is classed as pretty basic but for "listing" it's great.

roger hill said:
Hi blincodave
I have recommended Wildlife Lister(birds) on a recent thead.
I have run it for over a year now,linked to my pocket PC. The transfer of data is simplicity itself.Its very user friendly and the after-sales back-up is very good.
Hope this helps
Regards Roger

It must be me!! I have just purchased Wildlife Lister, primarily to use with my pocket PC. However, I cannot fathom out how to do what and in what order! Is there an idiots guide available? or any tips on how to get going?

Regards Hippo

Hippo said:
It must be me!! I have just purchased Wildlife Lister, primarily to use with my pocket PC. However, I cannot fathom out how to do what and in what order! Is there an idiots guide available? or any tips on how to get going?

Regards Hippo
Oh dear! I've just bought this as well. Had a three-minute play-about and decided that I'll have to read the manual. But it sounds as if that may not help.

First question - how do I input my life-list?

hollis_f said:
Oh dear! I've just bought this as well. Had a three-minute play-about and decided that I'll have to read the manual. But it sounds as if that may not help.

First question - how do I input my life-list?

Hi

I have been "playing" with mine for several days and have played the on-line tutorials and read the help notes. I am sure the answers are in there somewhere. Problem is I can't find what I need to do!! Good luck.

Regards, Hippo

Oh dear, Just bought Map mate and absolutely could not get my head around it at all sent it back and have been thinking about getting Wildlife Lister instead, now I'm not so sure. Anybody got any reccomendations for idiot proof listing/recording software?

ChrisSearle said:
Oh dear, Just bought Map mate and absolutely could not get my head around it at all sent it back and have been thinking about getting Wildlife Lister instead, now I'm not so sure. Anybody got any reccomendations for idiot proof listing/recording software?

Here is a cracking free data base that I thoroughly recommend. It has been designed by one of our members, Jeff.

Try the link and you will see the data base link on the top right of the page. If you have any queries about it PM jeff as he will be only too happy to help.

http://www.brandonbirding.co.uk/home.asp

I wouldn't

Blincodave said:
Does anyone have experience of using this? Any comments welcome.

Thanks

I've had the opposite experience to another poster, I've found this software cumbersome and invariably had problems both with pocket and wildlife lister. I haven't found the support or the manuals to great either. :

Unlike previous versions, Wildlife Lister is not the most intuitive product to use. However, if you invest some time in the tutorials, you'll get there eventually, and than it is an outstanding product.

Hanno said:
Unlike previous versions, Wildlife Lister is not the most intuitive product to use.
That's the understatement of the year. I'm slowly struggling with it, but the help is abyssmal - especially for the PocketPC application. Last Friday I was sitting in the hotel bar entering my sightings for the day when I tapped the wrong button and saved my, half completed, list. That's when I found no way to edit an existing list on the PocketPC - I had to delete it and start again.

Wildlife Lister is usable with some effort. The PocketPC application is pretty useless, you're better off with a pad and pencil.

Mmmmmmm

hollis_f said:
That's the understatement of the year. I'm slowly struggling with it, but the help is abyssmal - especially for the PocketPC application. Last Friday I was sitting in the hotel bar entering my sightings for the day when I tapped the wrong button and saved my, half completed, list. That's when I found no way to edit an existing list on the PocketPC - I had to delete it and start again.

Wildlife Lister is usable with some effort. The PocketPC application is pretty useless, you're better off with a pad and pencil.
Oh dear not good news! I'm trying to download this to a pocket PC on Windows Mobile 2003 without any luck, no response yet to my problem but it has been Easter. Had it on my Palm device but didn't find it user friendly as with this software in general, including Wildlife Lister and I wouldn't call myself computer illiterate either! If you are not a regular database user I wouldn't go for it. By the way if you have a previous version of Bird recorder and you're running on Windows 95/98 (some people are!) transferring data is a NIGHTMARE! I had to extract as text files and enter 10 years worth of sightings MANUALLY. Fortunately for me I do not record every trip.
:eek!:

hollis_f said:

'Useless' is not a word that comes to mind regarding Pocket Bird Recorder...

I have had no problem with the Pocket Bird Recorder (PBR) app and it's integration with the new Wildlife Recorder desktop application. When I moved from Bird Recorder 32 to Wildlife Recorder there was no change to PBR. Are you new to the program? There is a pretty good help file that is installed on the device when you install PBR, although I just checked it and it seems to bring you almost to the point where you can add more species to an existing trip without telling you the last step...the same goes with the desktop help file...something the developer should add, for sure.

From the 'Trips' screen it just takes 4 taps to edit an existing list. Here's how to add more species to a trip:

1) 'Tap and Hold' on the trip you want to add species to to bring up the context menu and tap on 'Selections'.

2) 'Tap and Hold' anywhere on the list to bring up the option to 'Review Species Selections'

3) Tap on 'Review Species Selections' to bring you back into where you can add more species.

I have been using PBR since 1998 (on a handheld clamshell style computer back then) and won't go birding without my Pocket PC du jour. Currently I am using a Dell x50v running Windows Mobile 2003 SE.

I get the impression from some of the posts that a few folks may be new to using handheld computers altogether. If this is the case you have 2 learning curves to deal with-the device and the software. Get to know the basics of the hardware and it's operating system first...'Tap and Hold' context menus are an integral part of Pocket PCs and are the equivalent of a 'right click' context menu on a mouse...if you're feeling stuck (in any application, not just PBR) try a 'Tap and Hold' to see if there is a hidden context menu.

Here's the standard disclaimer....I have no financial interest in Wildlife Computing or any of the products they sell...I am just a happy customer and I'm willing to help some of you if I can...just PM through this BF and I'll get back to you ASAP.

I hope this is of help to some.

papasula

papasula said:
'Useless' is not a word that comes to mind regarding Pocket Bird Recorder...

I have had no problem with the Pocket Bird Recorder (PBR) app and it's integration with the new Wildlife Recorder desktop application. When I moved from Bird Recorder 32 to Wildlife Recorder there was no change to PBR. Are you new to the program? There is a pretty good help file that is installed on the device when you install PBR,

That would be the help file that consists of a list of topics - each of which, when clicked on brings up a "Cannot open help. The file cannot be found' error.

From the 'Trips' screen it just takes 4 taps to edit an existing list. Here's how to add more species to a trip:

1) 'Tap and Hold' on the trip you want to add species to to bring up the context menu and tap on 'Selections'.

2) 'Tap and Hold' anywhere on the list to bring up the option to 'Review Species Selections'

3) Tap on 'Review Species Selections' to bring you back into where you can add more species.

Ah! That did it - thanks.

I get the impression from some of the posts that a few folks may be new to using handheld computers altogether.
Not this one. This is my sixth PocketPC.

hollis_f said:
That would be the help file that consists of a list of topics - each of which, when clicked on brings up a "Cannot open help. The file cannot be found' error.

Have you tried uninstalling PBR and reinstalling chosing the 'Repair' option in the installer? It sounds as if the install got corrupted somehow.

With bird recorder on the PBR can you add species lists IE Greek list Spannish list etc and as the working list Western Paleartic for general use?

POP

Wildlife Lister

:-C
I have been using this product for over a year and still have huge problems. The original installation went O.K. but the "tutorial" (text and on-line demos) is appalling. It is incomplete and full of errors, not to mention a multitude of mis-spellings and grammatical mistakes which give little confidence as to the quality of the programming. The program is not at all intuitive. Once up and running I found it would crash and hang-up quite often and produced a plethora of unintelligible error messages. The email support is very poor; in fact it is worse than poor - they are rude, arrogant and imply that any error is the user's fault.

Further problems arose when I attempted to integrate my photographs into the lists - simply would not work.

Upgrading to version 2 and then re-registering the program on a new computer has been a nightmare.

The program has potential but it was launched too soon before a full-trial beta version was evaluated; this is greed.

There isn't anything better on the market at the moment, other than a pencil and notepad.

Colin Key said:
:-C
I have been using this product for over a year and still have huge problems. The original installation went O.K. but the "tutorial" (text and on-line demos) is appalling. It is incomplete and full of errors, not to mention a multitude of mis-spellings and grammatical mistakes which give little confidence as to the quality of the programming. The program is not at all intuitive. Once up and running I found it would crash and hang-up quite often and produced a plethora of unintelligible error messages. The email support is very poor; in fact it is worse than poor - they are rude, arrogant and imply that any error is the user's fault.

Further problems arose when I attempted to integrate my photographs into the lists - simply would not work.

Upgrading to version 2 and then re-registering the program on a new computer has been a nightmare.

The program has potential but it was launched too soon before a full-trial beta version was evaluated; this is greed.

There isn't anything better on the market at the moment, other than a pencil and notepad.
I am now thinking that I agree with Colins post regarding the help etc. I have upgraded the software on several occasions and every time I do this I lose some functionality. I always get a file error or a file missing message. I have upgraded the software to the new version 2 only to find that the built in backup tells me, surprise surprise, that I have afile which is missing or failed to register. The emails sent got replies but no answers. The usual it's only yours this has happened to statement has cropped up more than once.

I first came accross a problem installing onto win 98 I was told that win 98 was not the best of platforms and to upgrade the comp!!! The package says it is for win 98.

They have now changed the login process to get updates and it won't allow me in so hurrumph.

Wow, I am surprised to hear you guys have so many problems. Yes, I had some errors in the beginning, but Jake was very helpful, answering my mails promptly. I am now using build 573 on Windows XP without problems. I do agree that the program is not very intuitive and takes time to get to grips with (Jake, are you reading this:))), but then I have been using their products for ages.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back