• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on jacket and boots (1 Viewer)

paulwfromtheden

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this sort of post, perhaps a kind 'admin' person can move it to the right place!!!

With the onset of winter, as a relatively new 'birder', I really want to get out as much as I can this winter, but I dont really have any suitable 'gear', namely jacket and boots.

Last February, I went to Elmley Marshes in Sheppey unsuitably dressed, and nearly died of exposure!!

I want to spend up to say £250 on a good jacket and up to £100 on a pair of boots, it sounds extravagant, probably is, but it seems to me worth going the extra mile to not freeze my cods off!!

Can anyone recommend makes/models/distributors of boots/jackets that they have had success and would recommend to others?

I would be much obliged!!

Regards.

Paul

The most important thing for the boots is first to find a pair that are comfortable, no good having the warmest pair of boots in the world if they are going to cripple your feet! You may want to invest in a pair that are waterproof, but you can waterproof boots if they are not. You'll need some thermal socks too ;) I would suggest going to one of the outdoor stores, they will have a good range of products and once you've found a make you like, go on the internet and see if you can find it online for less ;)

Someone recommended Paramo clothing to me, I got a fleece and jacket earlier in the year and they are fantastic. The fleece keeps me good and warm (and is reasonably waterproof - fine for showers), the jacket is great - lightweight, totally waterproof - perfect with the fleece on a cold day.

As for boots... personally I don't wear the ones I have, find my DC's more comfortable.

i use berghaus boots. they fit like a glove, take no time at all to wear in, plus they are made from gore-tex, so totally water proof and breathable. good ones start at around £80-100.

as for jackets, i recomend a windproof fleece, again something made with microfibres and gore-tex. these are exellent, i have used them for years.

very hard wearing and quiet, no rustling like a waterproof jacket. i use my fleece with a pack-away waterproof, thats simple rolls into a ball and goes into a small bag.

For a Jacket have a look in any army surplus store,waterproof and camouflaged too!
Don`t forget you lose most of your body heat through the head,so a warm hat is essential.

StevieEvans said:
Someone gave me a recent tip to keep warm...
always tuck your vest into your underpants
cant wait to try this out in the field
SE

Very good tip! It works ;)

As for the boots...recently purchased the Meindel Burma MFS boots! Goretex, sturdy and comfy..not cheap but worth the investment!!

I wear salomon "adv trek7" £100, i swear by them,been all over the world in them,berghaus "choktoi" wind stopper fleece.and a nice waterproof coatby craghopper ,that will keep you warm,even on Blakeney point in freezing jan

Silvershark said:
I would suggest going to one of the outdoor stores, they will have a good range of products and once you've found a make you like, go on the internet and see if you can find it online for less ;)

There won't be any shops to try things out if we all do this!

Berghaus stuff is good, the fleeces are really warm and the boots, i think mine are called 'Explorer' (though in truth they don't do an awful lot of exploring as they aint too easy to cycle in), are very comfortable and warm for walking.

And i've got a pair of Berghaus gloves which i found on a train

don't forget a good hat

As for a jacket i doubt you'd go far wrong with a Peter Storm waterproof, windproof & breathable one from Milletts. Cost about £30 which some people would cock their nose up at but after 3 years worth of year round use mine's still going strong.

Dont forget your socks

If you buy a good pair of boots also buy a good pair of socks dont buy crap cheap socks dont look at the display and think £10 for a pair of socks! like most things you get what you pay for Bridgedale are a good make, and try to go to a shop where they know what they are talking about North Face is good beware of look alike gear that looks flash but get out on Dartmoor or Breacon and its crap.

Karl J said:
Berghaus stuff is good, the fleeces are really warm and the boots, i think mine are called 'Explorer' (though in truth they don't do an awful lot of exploring as they aint too easy to cycle in), are very comfortable and warm for walking.

And i've got a pair of Berghaus gloves which i found on a train

don't forget a good hat

As for a jacket i doubt you'd go far wrong with a Peter Storm waterproof, windproof & breathable one from Milletts. Cost about £30 which some people would cock their nose up at but after 3 years worth of year round use mine's still going strong.
Nothing wrong with Peter Storm gear and most Millets staff do get training in what gear to sell.

I've spent loads on high performance gear for hillwalking (waterproofs, 3-season boots etc) but to be honest, I reckon there's a fair bit of 'boys and their toys' about the whole thing.

You're right to spend a bit on a decent jacket and waterproof boots, but don't be tempted to go over the top. Most of the big outdoors names are selling ultra-high performance stuff that only mountaineers are ever likely to need - birding isn't (usually) an extreme sport!

The most important lessons I've learned over the years from being outside in winter, both walking and birding, are:
1) Layers are THE most important thing - I've got a thin long-sleeved t-shirt, a thermal vest, thin jumper, a shirt, a roll neck jumper, a fleece, and then my jacket. Only the jacket is pukka outdoors gear - but it's the other six thin layers that make the difference;
2) The same applies to socks and gloves - get thin inners and decent outers for both, you'll never regret it;
3) Don't even think about going out without a hat, and make sure it's a good 'un. If its lined (ie thinsulate or similar) then so much the better. And make sure it covers your ears!
4) Take a drink with you. Everyone remembers to take fluids on in the heat, but forgets that the cold sucks moisture out too. Dehydration leaves you vulnerable to cold, so pack a flask (not alchohol, I'm afraid).

For the gear:
Boots can be either fabric or leather. Fabric (gortex waterproofed usually) are very popular these days, and I love my Salomons. But goretex linings don't last too long, and I'm thinking of going back to leather such as a more traditional pair of Brashers - last for ever with a bit of tlc.
Jackets - usually either a modern Gortex style fabric (Lowe Alpine, Berghaus etc), Paramo (a different, and unique, waterproofing technology) or Ventile (Country Innovations). Probably best to try all three and see what you think - all pretty good, there's a thread somewhere on here discussing the pros and cons.

I've got Lowe Alpine, great for walking but a bit rustly. Paramo is very popular at the moment, but I can't get on with it - too much like a 70s nylon finish for my tastes! Ventile looks interesting, like a softer cotton finish, but apparently takes ages to dry out once wet. I'm pretty sure most people would agree that there's not such thing as the perfect waterproof - you pays your money, you chooses your compromise.

Happy shopping.

I am going to stick by my old favourite Barbour. Mine is filthy, smelly and in danger of being condemned, but I like it: it is waterproof, warm, allows movement and has plenty of pockets. What more could you want?

Beware When You Wash

Ok this may be a bit BASIC for all you S.A.S. types out there but BEWARE when you wash your expensive jacket, I worked in the outdoor trade for many years and have lost count of the amount of gear that has been made useless by wrong washing,dont just bung it in the washing machine at white hot, read the instructions go back to the shop and get the right gear to wash it. phone the makers for info on washing. if in doubt dont wash it just go smelly and blend in you may spot more birds (but wont attract them non feathered kind)

One thing I feel I need to mention from personal experience is that "breathable" fabrics aren't, really...

I've owned (and own) jackets made by various manufacturers in proprietary breathable materials, from Regatta's Isotex, Outdoor Scene's Indra and Peter Storm's Stormtech, up to and including a Berghaus jacket with Goretex.

They're all very usable jackets, but the fact is that despite the hype, in any of these jackets, if you work, you'll sweat.

I mention this purely because while I do actually love my Berghaus (can't remember the style, but it does use the "pukka" Goretex membrane, not Gore's cheaper non breathable alternative) it's really no more breathable than my Peter Storm "equivalent".

Last edited:
It's about time we had a forum for outdoor clothing, it's a pretty important topic.. I'll transfer this thread across.

Brasher Supalite boots. Waterproof, very light and comfy. Two pairs of socks in winter does the job. A normal everyday pair under a proper pair of walking socks and you get no blisters that way. Also well in your £100 bracket by a penny.

Jackets

Keith Reeder said:
One thing I feel I need to mention from personal experience is that "breathable" fabrics aren't, really...

I've owned (and own) jackets made by various manufacturers in proprietary breathable materials, from Regatta's Isotex, Outdoor Scene's Indra and Peter Storm's Stormtech, up to and including a Berghaus jacket with Goretex.

They're all very usable jackets, but the fact is that despite the hype, in any of these jackets, if you work, you'll sweat.

I mention this purely because while I do actually love my Berghaus (can't remember the style, but it does use the "pukka" Goretex membrane, not Gore's cheaper non breathable alternative) it's really no breathable than my Peter Storm "equivalent".
You get what you pay for with jackets I have a top of the range North Face it has special vents one way under arms, waterproof zips on pockets, snow skirt, wired stand up hood for good vision,map pocket, it is the BIZ IT WOULD COST ABOUT £300 BUT I was lucky to be in the trade and got a discount regarding sweat and dampness careful choice of base layer can be a big factor in this wrong choice can make the matter worse

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back