• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sparrowhawk hovering?? (1 Viewer)

jonafly

Hello,

Saw this bird yesterday. Couldn's get it into focus very well before it flew away, but waht I noticed (as you can see it was hovering stationary). But I didn't know sparrowhawks did this? Or is it something else after all?

Thanks,

André

Attachments

• sperwer.jpg
    sperwer.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 352
Hi Andre,

It's certainly not a Sparrowhawk (I've never seen one hover) and is some sort of falcon. I guess a Kestrel is most likely but in the bottom left picture it almost looks like a Red-footed Falcon, which is also hovers. Hard to be conclusive though.

Hi Andre,
The 3rd Pic in the right row shows a reddish upper wing, and so I think it is a common Kestrel. I don´t see anything inconsistant with this in the other pics?

Jörn

I forgot to tell one more thing:

As I drove by I noticed a sparrowhawk sitting on a pole (orange legs, horizontal bands on belly). I stopped to get my camera and it flew away. And as far as I could tell this same bird was the one in the pictures. Ofcourse it's possible I got tricked and there were a kester and a sparrowhawk in the same area.

Almost certainly a Kestrel from what I can see in the 3rd pic down on the right.
The bird appears to be rufous brown on the back and upper wing becoming blacker towards the wing tips consistant with Kestrel. Too rufous in my opinion to be a Red-footed and obviously too small to be Buzzard as you did see the bird!
I have never seen a sparrowhawk hover though I have seen plenty of Common Buzzards hovering when hunting.

regards,

I agree with the Kestrel ID.

Just for the record - a Sparrowhawk was spotted several times hovering over Bedford. Caused a bit of a stir on my local groups.

Rich.

jonafly said:
Of course it's possible I got tricked and there were a kester and a sparrowhawk in the same area.
Quite likely - I've often seen Sparrowhawk and Kestrel engaging in mock battles together.

Actually, most raptors will chase each other around a bit. Once one gets up in the air, it is surprisingly common to start seeing others come up to join it.

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Quite likely - I've often seen Sparrowhawk and Kestrel engaging in mock battles together.

Actually, most raptors will chase each other around a bit. Once one gets up in the air, it is surprisingly common to start seeing others come up to join it.

Michael

Except when you have a camera handy - then they head for the hills at great speed.

Rich.

Except when you have a camera handy - then they head for the hills at great speed.
Or it's peeing down with rain, or very very overcast like it was today, thus leaving a blurred silhouette of 2 buzzards and one kite...

Attachments

• buzandkite.jpg
    buzandkite.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 167
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back