• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beaver Dam? (1 Viewer)

DFW Urban Wildlife

Is this a beaver dam? It largely constructed of reeds as there is very little timber in the general vicinity. Is it common for Beavers to make use of materials other than branches? What do you think?

Last edited:
To me, it looks a beaver dam. If they are anything similar to European Beavers, the dams will be constructed from whatever materal is available, though clearly birch branches are the favoured

gareth_blockley said:
Isn't it just dead vegetation collected up on the bank?

I don't think so, from the picture it certainly appears to be damming the water to the right, with the area to the left lower and water draining out. The only factor that slightly puts me off the idea that Beaver is responsible is the length of it, but I still believe it is them that did it.

Isn't it just dead vegetation collected up on the bank?
I know how that would look, this is not that look.These reeds have definitely been brought there artificially and put into place by a plan.
Yeah, I'd say beavers.

Surely if it was a Beaver dam wouldn't there be a Beaver 'Lodge' nearby? Or indeed is the area know to have Beavers?

Couldn't someone have just raked the material up too create a fishing pool or something (I've done this as a kid)? Especially as it's located near housing.

Wildwood said:
Surely if it was a Beaver dam wouldn't there be a Beaver 'Lodge' nearby? Or indeed is the area know to have Beavers?

Couldn't someone have just raked the material up too create a fishing pool or something (I've done this as a kid)? Especially as it's located near housing.

It turns out that there is abundant evidence of beaver activity in the area. A number of small ornamental trees have been taken down in a park just up stream from this dam.

I was fairly sure that this dam was the work of beavers... but I was concerned about the construction materials. This dam is most constructed on reeds and mud, not stick and limbs. None of my references allowed for the possibility of beavers constructing their dams out of materials other than timber. I suppose its not surprising that they will build using whatever suitable material is available, I just couldn't find it documented anywhere.

I haven't been able to find the lodge, and I still haven't seen an actual beaver yet. Interestingly, this dam is located smack in the middle of a residential subdivision in North Dallas. Plenty of houses and plenty of people around.

DFW Urban Wildlife said:
I haven't been able to find the lodge, and I still haven't seen an actual beaver yet. Interestingly, this dam is located smack in the middle of a residential subdivision in North Dallas. Plenty of houses and plenty of people around.

In Poland (note that European beavers are different species) beavers don't build lodges on high banks. They live in burrows. Burrow can be right under road, building or garden - becomes noticeable only if it collapses. You often notice a "path" or "channel" of deeper clear water between marsh vegetation; this often leads to underwater burrow entrance. It may be rather subtle.

To see beavers, try evening or night - especially in mid-summer when nights are short.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back