• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pulling still shots from video (1 Viewer)

FrankD

As I am sure most of you are aware at this point I have been using my Iphone 5S to take both video and still pics with both of my spotting scopes. I just started pulling still pics from video footage via the Vhoto and StillShot apps. I also started tinkering with the photo enhancement app inside Flickr to increase the quality of the image. The pics attached and in subsequent posts are my most recent attempts.

Excuse the dust motes in the images. Some dust came between the eyepiece and scope body and I didn't notice it until after I took the video. It has since been rectified though I did try to clean them up a bit in the photos as well. Photos have been "downsized" to allow them to be uploaded into the forum.

Attachments

• Osprey1.jpg
    Osprey1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 172
  • Osprey2.jpg
    Osprey2.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Osprey4.jpg
    Osprey4.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Jpegs from Ultra High Definition video

Hi Frank,

I use a Sony RX100 and grab jpegs using Sony's "play memories home" software. The images are not DSLR quality but are good for record shots. See the attached grabbed jpeg from my RX100, of a Spotted Sandpiper which has shown up on our North East Scotland coast this week.

Interestingly, I am looking at 2.7K and 4K ultra high definition video formats for grabbing jpeg images from video footage.

My Sony RX100 gives grabbed jpegs with a 1080 pixel vertical resolution.

I have recently downloaded 2.7K and 4K raw video samples from the internet and using VLC player have been able to grab images at 1440 vertical pixels and 2160 vertical pixels respectively.

Ultra High Definition video seems have the potential to produce jpegs with far higher resolution than 1080p video.......interesting.

Attachments

• MAH04777(13) (700x394).jpg
    MAH04777(13) (700x394).jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
scotview,

I have to admit that I need to educate myself further on Ultra High Definition video. I have seen it referenced a few times here on the forums but lack any of the knowledge associated with it. Your post now gives me reason to do so.

Some of the images I can pull from video are really quite good but not at the DSLR level. If this new format for video is that good then maybe it can start producing true professional quality photos.

Truth be told I just find it fascinating and quite convenient to be able to pull still shots from video. There are many times when running a video of a bird can produce some excellent still pics that otherwise wouldn't be obtainable unless you continued to click away with the camera and/or used burst mode repeatedly. Taking the video and then going back through it shot by shot can produce some great results.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back