• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New feeder, birds and even squirrels terrified (1 Viewer)

Ruff

Two birds in one.
For the past 5-6 years one of my main feeders has been a Squirrel-Be-Gone unit which uses a balance counterweight to close off access to seed when a heavy weight marauder like a squirrel gets on the normal perch used by the birds it's designed for. Over the years, it has served me well and whenever any of its defenses have been overcome by an enterprising tree rodent, I've been able to overcome the problem with light sheet metal and duck tape. This spring however, the feeder was showing its age and the weather proof galvanized-metal-like finish on the metal body is in particular giving up the ghost and flaking off in small sheets. In short, I felt I had to retire it because it was getting too hard to keep clean and sanitary, even rusting and pitting inside. The best substitute I could find in this country was/is a "Woodlink Squirrel Proof Feeder" which is similar in design to the failing one, if a bit more expensive and sporting a bright cherry red finish (as can be seen at leevalleytools.com for instance). It's the bright colour that is bothering me, I put the thing out a while ago and haven't seen a bird since, as the title suggests it even bothers the SQs who think they own my yard. Time will tell, but I do wish it was a nondescript grey colour like its predecessor- and I'll bet it won't last nearly as long in the weather here. Wish me luck!

Hello Ruff. I have basically the same feeder only painted in the color green. It was given to me for Christmas of 2017 and I put it up immediately. I was excited about feeding the birds and deterring the squirrels because a friend of mine had the same feeder and his feeder was always hopping with birds. However, my experience was the same as yours. I filled it with black oiler sunflower seeds, then tried a no mess mix. Almost a year went by before the birds showed much interest in feeding from it. I recently moved it to another location not far from where it was originally located and all of a sudden, the birds are feeding from it. It may just take more time than normal, or maybe try a new location.

Yes, the birds are now comfortable with it and it does foil the squirrels. They still prefer the older feeders but all I would have to do is to let those run out. Meantime we can go away for a longer time without the available seed being used up, so everyone's happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back