• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CL Companion (1 Viewer)

prc6995

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to purchase either a 8x30 or 10x30 CL Companion B in the next few weeks & was hoping that I could get some real world thoughts about each as I've been unable to find much in the way of reviews of the new version, especially the 10x which is probably my preferred choice at present.

As a bit of background I currently have an Opticron Natura 8x32 which will be going to my wife. Our general use will be for birdwatching & general use on our country walks. Neither of us wear glasses so eye relief isn't an issue.

Any advice appreciated.

Peter

I have the 8x32 CL and have passed it around for testing in the rainforest with other fellow bird guides. Their comments was, it is light, sharp and good enough for their usage and could live with the narrow FOV. They do have also the 8.5x42 and also 10x42 with 8x32 EL.

Of the two you are looking at I would get the 8x30 CL for the bigger FOV and superior brightness under all conditions. A 10x30 can be somewhat dim in lower light situations due to it's smaller exit pupil. If price isn't a factor I would suggest the 8x32 SV. I have had both the 8x30 CL and now I have the 8x32 SV and although the 8x30 CL is very good there is no doubt the 8x32 SV is better and it should be at twice the price.

Of the two you are looking at I would get the 8x30 CL for the bigger FOV and superior brightness under all conditions. A 10x30 can be somewhat dim in lower light situations due to it's smaller exit pupil. If price isn't a factor I would suggest the 8x32 SV. I have had both the 8x30 CL and now I have the 8x32 SV and although the 8x30 CL is very good there is no doubt the 8x32 SV is better and it should be at twice the price.

Thanks for that. A slightly bigger FOV would be nice & I'd love to get the SV's but can't justify the price.

Thanks for that. A slightly bigger FOV would be nice & I'd love to get the SV's but can't justify the price.

The FOV of the 8x30 is quite a bit wider: 396'@1000 yards to 325'@1000 yards for the 10x30.

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/birding/cl-companion-c21010504/cl-companion-8x30-green-p5418295

They both have that remarkable "Optical Box" in the eyepiece design which will allow you to use the binocular either braced up against your brow ridge or placed back in your eye sockets with out getting blackouts while using them. It works for me and I have always had to use binoculars braced up against my brow ridge until I got my CL Companion 8x30B.

Read more about it in the 2 posts below by Jan Van Daalen of "House of Outdoor" in Holland.

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3641297&postcount=61

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3629332&postcount=23

Bob

Last edited:
The FOV of the 8x30 is quite a bit wider: 396'@1000 yards to 325'@1000 yards for the 10x30.

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/birding/cl-companion-c21010504/cl-companion-8x30-green-p5418295

They both have that remarkable "Optical Box" in the eyepiece design which will allow you to use the binocular either braced up against your brow ridge or placed back in your eye sockets with out getting blackouts while using them. It works for me and I have always had to use binoculars braced up against my brow ridge until I got my CL Companion 8x30B.

Read more about it in the 2 posts below by Jan Van Daalen of "House of Outdoor" in Holland.

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3641297&postcount=61

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3629332&postcount=23

Bob

Thanks Bob, I did read both of Janis posts with interest. The 8x has a similar FOV to our present Opticron which is why I'm leaning towards the 10x at present as I thought it would be nice to have the extra magnification while still having the Opticrons wider FOV if needed. However I've only been able to try the 8x at the moment as the 10x seems to be out of stock at both my local dealers.

I have the 8x32 CL and have passed it around for testing in the rainforest with other fellow bird guides. Their comments was, it is light, sharp and good enough for their usage and could live with the narrow FOV. They do have also the 8.5x42 and also 10x42 with 8x32 EL.

What I mean is, if compared with their current EL bino, they could live with the narrow FOV by the 8x30 CL ;)

Still not had a chance to try the 10x yet as stock seems hard to come by. Both my local dealers have the EL 10x32 in stock but I'm resisting the chance to try it as I know if I do I'll want it, but I really can't justify the price & my wife would probably kill me.

Update: Having not been able to try a 10x I'm leaning towards the 8x as I think I'd rather have the wider FOV anyway, however I'm really tempted by the 8x32 EL's 420ft FOV & have been thinking maybe I should try to pick up a used one. Are there any things to look out for when buying used, it would probably be from ebay & therefore sight unseen.

I have both an 8x and a 10x. Both are very good. I was in Yellowstone last month and mostly used the 10x. However, when not out in wide open spaces I prefer the 8x. Our guide was using some 15x50 Vortex Viper binos and one early morning while glassing Mountain goats, he asked to swap optics. He liked the Searovski CL B 10x30 better than his Vipers. I have to admit the view was much better through the little Swaro's. I actually sold a pair of 8x32 EL's to fund both of these pairs. The EL's were great but I did not feel like I was getting the versatility I needed and sold the EL's and bought these. I have not regretted that decision.

After trying both the CL & EL's I've decided to buy a pair of 8x32 EL's & as it happens Uttings.co.uk are having 10% off this weekend & my local dealer has agreed to price match them |=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back