• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8.5x42? (1 Viewer)

Rev44

I currently own the SLC hd 10x42. I really like them but they might be a bit much in the woods for me. Sometimes hard to pick up objects right away. I am thinking about getting a different pair and looking at the 8.5x42. One question I have is can you get them new without the field pro package or is that all they offer? Just looking to see if I can get them at a better price. Thanks

Hi Rev44

I presume the main cause of your problem is excess magnification - verses a too restricted field of view?
And although we tend to look for expensive equipment based solutions, you could try some low-tech, no-cost/ low-cost options first.

To gain some extra steadiness:
- Wear a cap and hold the bill of the cap along with the binoculars;

- Place your back against a tree trunk, which will help steady your upper body;

- Use a suitable tree trunk or branch to rest a hand holding your binoculars against (it further helps if you can rest a forearm or thigh against the tree trunk), and to gain the most in steadiness;

- Sit down and rest your elbows on your knees along with your back against a tree (don't rest bone-on-bone - elbow point on knee point - but have the elbows slightly higher up the thighs for more steadiness and comfort).

I’ve previously posted about using a 2 ounce $4 improvised support - a squeegee. See: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=369280
The takeaway is: it provides a solid two point support for your binocular, resting the weight on your upper chest; it's quick to use, and; it can be used standing or sitting.

Towards a steadier future

John

Last edited:
In short no the Field Pro is the latest version of the 8.5x42 and the previous Swarovision model is no longer made. If you're open to second hand, you can get some good deals on the Swarovision.

Hi Rev44

I presume the main cause of your problem is excess magnification - verses a too restricted field of view?
And although we tend to look for expensive equipment based solutions, you could try some low-tech, no-cost/ low-cost options first.

To gain some extra steadiness:
- Wear a cap and hold the bill of the cap along with the binoculars;

- Place your back against a tree trunk, which will help steady your upper body;

- Use a suitable tree trunk or branch to rest a hand holding your binoculars against (it further helps if you can rest a forearm or thigh against the tree trunk), and to gain the most in steadiness;

- Sit down and rest your elbows on your knees along with your back against a tree (don't rest bone-on-bone - elbow point on knee point - but have the elbows slightly higher up the thighs for more steadiness and comfort).

I’ve previously posted about using a 2 ounce $4 improvised support - a squeegee. See: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=369280
The takeaway is: it provides a solid two point support for your binocular, resting the weight on your upper chest; it's quick to use, and; it can be used standing or sitting.

Towards a steadier future

John
It pretty much comes down the FOV. I really like them and the glass is great. It's that i find myself losing or having a hard time finding animals in thick cover. The steadiness isn't a problem I do some glassing on edges of crop fields but nothing that is more than 4-500 yards. I was looking at the 8.5 and yes they are a little pricey for me.

Hi again Rev44,

You originally queried the availability of the non-FieldPro EL SV’s

EL SV UPGRADE TO FIELDPRO VERSION
All three of the EL SV lines were upgraded in June 2015 (the x42’s and x32’s from #F8524, and the x50’s from #F8526)

This info is from Swarovski's spare part catalogue EFT 2016 (EFT is short for ERSATZTEILKATALOG - FERNGLASER, TELESKOPE und Optronische Gerate i.e. 'Spare Parts Catalogue - Binoculars, Telescopes and Optoelectronic Instruments')

SECOND HAND pre-FIELDPRO UNITS
The x42 pre-FieldPro version goes from mid-2009 (around #F7927) to mid-2015, and there are plenty of second-hand offerings on the ‘net
If you don’t mind some cosmetic wear, and you’ve got the time to wait, you could pick up an optical bargain

Second hand EL’s often show with what appears to be considerable cosmetic wear. This is because the black finish easily wears off the high points on the bridge arms and exposes the white magnesium underneath
This makes them look as if they may have taken a beating and that pushes down the price, since there are also a lot of other second-hand units without the wear

The key is that if you look closely, you’ll often see that the rest of the finish is pristine
So if you want a user rather than a looker, you could do well

Also, as you’ve got no local stores the ‘net would seem to be the way to go - you'll have a wide variety of units to choose from

John

Last edited:
Hi again Rev44,

You originally queried the availability of the non-FieldPro EL SV’s

EL SV UPGRADE TO FIELDPRO VERSION
All three of the EL SV lines were upgraded in June 2015 (the x42’s and x32’s from #F8524, and the x50’s from #F8526)

This info is from Swarovski's spare part catalogue EFT 2016 (EFT is short for ERSATZTEILKATALOG - FERNGLASER, TELESKOPE und Optronische Gerate i.e. 'Spare Parts Catalogue - Binoculars, Telescopes and Optoelectronic Instruments')

SECOND HAND pre-FIELDPRO UNITS
The x42 pre-FieldPro version goes from mid-2009 (around #F7927) to mid-2015, and there are plenty of second-hand offerings on the ‘net
If you don’t mind some cosmetic wear, and you’ve got the time to wait, you could pick up an optical bargain

Second hand EL’s often show with what appears to be considerable cosmetic wear. This is because the black finish easily wears off the high points on the bridge arms and exposes the white magnesium underneath
This makes them look as if they may have taken a beating and that pushes down the price, since there are also a lot of other second-hand units without the wear

The key is that if you look closely, you’ll often see that the rest of the finish is pristine
So if you want a user rather than a looker, you could do well

Also, as you’ve got no local stores the ‘net would seem to be the way to go - you'll have a wide variety of units to choose from

John
Thank you for all that! Lots of good info as I don't know a lot about all the binos. Still learning and have learned a lot on this site. I don't need them right away. I have looked at a few places but haven't found really any so far. I will keep looking. I would like to find a place that has the HG and a few others just to compare. Thanks again

Rev 44, post 1,
If you cannot or will not spent more than 1000 euros one of the Meopta Meostars B1 may be an excellent choice: 8x42, 7x42 (production stopped I think, but they are still available). The Meoptas are as far as quality is concerned to compare with the other top brands.
Gijs van Ginkel

Last edited by a moderator:
The 8.5x42 EL Swarovision pre- FieldPro was in the market for a long time and there are definitely good second-hand deals to be found. I have a Leica Ultravid HD Plus 10x50 that I love, as well as a small Minox APO HG 10x43. Depending on the distances I expect to need to cover, I will bring those and/or my Swarovski. The 8.5x42 have a nice wide FOV and the .5 extra magnification over most 8x42 is a subtle but welcome feature.

Although I have steady hands, the 8x binoculars are definitely easier to keep balanced on subject. Also, if you go into areas with more dense foliage, the 10x quickly get to be too close, as it were.

I would look for a preowned 8.5 SV. The 8.5 size is very nice, I have owned the EL model for
many years and as mentioned 8.5 is a nice step up over 8X.

Swarovski has promoted the 8.5 EL as the "Universal Distance Viewer", and I do agree with that,
a great choice between 8 and 10X.

The Swarovision optics have not been changed since they were introduced in 2009. Field Pro is a non issue, just a gimmick.

Good luck with your purchase. This is the way to go.

Jerry

Jerry what happened with your previous avatar. This (eagle) guy looks POd, and the reddish/brown? hair piece - looks Trumpish.

Andy W.

I live on a farm, and this fall we had a lot of bald eagles fly by and stop here.

I was able to snap this photo. ;)

Jerry

I currently own the SLC hd 10x42. I really like them but they might be a bit much in the woods for me. Sometimes hard to pick up objects right away. I am thinking about getting a different pair and looking at the 8.5x42. One question I have is can you get them new without the field pro package or is that all they offer? Just looking to see if I can get them at a better price. Thanks

I can understand that.

Field Pro is all that is currently offered.

I agree with the recommendations of SLC 8X42, Monarch HG 8X42, and Meopta 7X42 above. I'd like to add a Leica UVHD+ 7X42 to that.

Have you thought about a 8X32? SV 8X32 and Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32 are good ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back