• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rfi: Oregon In September (2 Viewers)

Gruff Dodd

Hi all

Thinking about a short birding visit to Oregon later this year, and am trying to get an idea of what birds I have a chance of seeing.

My visit would be in early September, probably second week.

I have a potential target list I am working through, but while I’ve been able to get some info on seasonal movements, most of this is fairly vague, i.e. summer or fall. I am really struggling to get more accurate info, and so I would greatly appreciate your views on the likelihood of my being able to find the following species at that time:

Tundra Swan
White-winged Scoter
Calliope Hummingbird
Rock Sandpiper
Short-billed Gull
Thayer's Gull
Tufted Puffin
Sage Thrasher
Fox Sparrow
Golden-crowned Sparrow
American Tree Sparrow
Brewer's Sparrow

I will undoubtedly be too late for some of these, and too early for others, but I don’t have that sort of info – any help very gratefully received!

Many thanks,

GRUFF DODD
Cardiff, Wales

Agreed....Malheur is the place to be around Fall.....it is a ways to get there but it is well worth the drive!.... Puffins can be found at Canon Beach too on the rock if you want a fantastic backdrop to take photos..... One of the largest colonies I believe lives there so you are sure to get a shot.

Also, up and down the oregon coast there are always all sorts of things, your scoter, Thayers gull, even the fox sparrow..... Good luck....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back