• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IUCN Red List '2013 (1 Viewer)

IUCN Red List v2013.1 doesn't make any 2013 changes to Aves, still recognising 10,064 species following BirdLife Checklist v5 (2012). The forthcoming BirdLife Checklist v6 (2013), which will include numerous splits and Red List category changes, will be taken into account later in the year.

I am bit disappointed because they have updated not much older assessments. E.g. Pseudophilautus stellatus (a frog from Sri Lanka) is still listed as extinct despite the fact that several media (including Zootaxa) confirmed the rediscovery in March.

The "updated" IUCN Red List is online. Seems that not much changes have been made and even P. stellatus still has the old (extinct) status. The question is can I still take the Red List assessments serious when they are not updated regularly?

http://www.iucnredlist.org/

The "updated" IUCN Red List is online. Seems that not much changes have been made and even P. stellatus still has the old (extinct) status.
As with v2013.1, v2013.2 doesn't make any changes to Aves. It still recognises 10,064 avian species as per BirdLife Checklist v5 (2012), and doesn't implement BirdLife's final (Sep 2013) decisions (which must presumably await the belated publication of BirdLife Checklist v6).

The Tsingy Wood Rail has been recognized by the IUCN. It is now assessed as NT (formerly UR).
Indeed! Now the Red List includes 10,065 avian species.

And BirdLife's final decisions for 2013 have been taken into account, eg Black-footed and Black-browed Albatrosses are now NT (yesterday they were still VU and EN respectively when I checked).

:h?:

Times
Also an article in the Times today at page 20, with a focus on Okapi; I assume the online version is behind the paywall.

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back