• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Patch Destruction (1 Viewer)

streatham

Excuse my rant but I just had a quick spin by my local patch today to find that they are completly destroying the place. Unannounced my town have decided in their infinite wisdaom to start chopping down all the shrubs in the park, removed trees and started running bulldozers over what remains of the scrubby grassland area. Although mainly ballfields, the remaining patches of undeveloped fields have provided a prime stopover for migrating open country birds. The site has regularly turned up excellent finds including YH Blackbird, Dickcissel, American Bittern and attracted birders from across the state. It also hosts good numbers of migrating uncommon state open country birds: E. Meadowlark, American Pipit, Vesper, White-crowned and Lincoln's Sparrow, A. Kestrel and Northern Harrier.

I knew todays news about the IBWO was going to be ruined by something - I feel a battle with my town coming on - Luke :C

Oh, man, Luke, I know just how you feel. In southern California, they started developing one of my favorite haunts, a wetlands area that hosted all kinds of birds. The real tragedy was that a quarter of the area that wasn't supposed to be touched started getting 'dozed, too, before they were stopped, and down went all the Great Blue Heron nest trees, as well as one where a pair of orioles had just finished building their pendulous nest. And of course all the grassy, marshy areas as well. They did get stopped, but it was through a lot of hard lobbying and work by a consortium. Unfortunately, not until it was too late for the entire stock of herons in that area. :C is right!

Best wishes for your coming fight with city hall. I don't know why people think manicured parks and public areas are nicer than wild shrubbery and the critters they attract.

Thanks for the support Katy and Jason,

Trying to not get super depressed about it - it's just a whole battle was fought not so many moons ago to stop them turning this area into more ballfields - now they just seem to be destroying the place for no particular reason. The idea of having to take the town on just seems so daunting after so many people put in time to stop them doing stuff like this already.

Luke

Sorry to hear your bad news Luke so good luck with the Battle of the town hall.

sorry to hear of your loss.

i used to have a secret place near to me, where ringed plovers and lapwing used to nest every year. it was great watching the chicks running around, plus i was the only person who knew of this area, so it was very quiet, safe and peacefull.

but sadly one day i was walking down to my little haven, and was shocked to see that bulldozers had moved in, and leveled off the ground. today 3/4 of the patch is now inhabited by a huge office/warehouse. total amount of birds nesting there now - 0.....

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back