• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wildflower ID. Menorca. (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

I have spent most of this afternoon searching for an ID for this flower, all in vain!

I would really appreciate help with an ID.

Attachments

• P1090931.JPG
    P1090931.JPG
    349.7 KB · Views: 29
It's actually very common in southern Europe + is a rare UK native (parts of Cornwall) + was introduced to Australia where it became known as paterson's curse!

It's Purple Viper's-bugloss, Echium plantagineum.

Thank you very much for the ID aeshna5! I was unaware of how many varieties of Viper's-bugloss there are!

I did check for the flower being Viper's-bugloss and ruled it out due to the colour! I have grown the biennial blue variety in my garden and thought I had lost the plant after no sign of any growing for about 3 years but this week I have noticed 3+ plants have emerged so all is not lost, the insects love this plant!
Such a vibrant, colourful and useful plant.

Thank you once again!

It's also the foodplant of an attractive little black and white micromoth, Dialectica scalariella - but I don't have any records from Menorca, only from Mallorca and one of it's off-shore islands.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back