Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New Gitzo 2-way Head

Old Monday 1st October 2018, 10:58   #1
Tringa45

New Gitzo 2-way Head

At Photokina last week I noticed a new Gitzo 2-way head, which would appear to be a substantial improvement on the old 2180, 1720 and 2720 heads.
It carries the reference GHF2W and is a mere 590 g or 1.3 lbs and with a payload of 4 kg should be adequate for the larger birding scopes.
There is fluid damping and a unique counterbalance, which can be turned on or off and enables one to set the tilt equilibrium at a point other than the horizontal. Perhaps this would be of use with tail-heavy or objective-heavy scopes.
The top plate is Arca-Swiss compatible but unfortunately the one supplied has a rubber top surface, a 1/4" screw and no anti-rotation pin. There are no suitable alternatives shown in the Gitzo catalogue. IIRC the safety retention is a vertical pin under the plate, so one could probably use Novaflex or other Arca plates.
There was a price tag of €319,99 on the example I saw, which seems acceptable.

John
Old Monday 1st October 2018, 12:02   #2
Vespobuteo

An Arca-swiss plate mount at last, is excellent, but the chinese competition is tough and basically half the price.
But it looks pretty good if it does what promised, will check it out if I have the chance.
(Agree that the plate supplied could be better though...)

https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/gitzo-2-way-fluid-head

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Monday 1st October 2018 at 12:04.
Old Monday 1st October 2018, 20:23   #3
Alexis Powell

Hmm...I'll have to check this one out. I'm always interested in light weight 2-way heads that operate smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tringa45 View Post
...would appear to be a substantial improvement on the old 2180, 1720 and 2720 heads.
...is a mere 590 g or 1.3 lbs and with a payload of 4 kg...
I think it is more of an alternative to the GH1720 rather than an improvement. The 1720 is lighter weight (460 g) and has the same 4 kg payload spec. I like its single rapid knob for pan and tilt, that it has no resistance when loosened, and that it locks up securely when tightened down [Some fluid heads don't lock down securely, quickly, or easily for carrying a scope on a tripod]. The GH1720 doesn't offer the counterbalance (not needed when using a long plate), isn't Arca-Swiss standard (but is easily adapted), and probably isn't as fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespobuteo View Post
...the chinese competition is tough and basically half the price...[/url]
What are you looking at that you consider competitive (i.e. similar features but cheaper)?

--AP
Old Tuesday 2nd October 2018, 14:10   #4
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post

What are you looking at that you consider competitive (i.e. similar features but cheaper)?

--AP
Sirui, Benro.
Old Tuesday 20th November 2018, 17:47   #5
pmaxp

Any users yet?

I too am looking forward to hear of people’s experiences and opinions of Gitzo’s new two way fluid head.
Old Tuesday 5th March 2019, 22:50   #6
henry link

Anybody had any hands on experience with the new GHF2W yet?
Old Thursday 7th March 2019, 15:22   #7
forent

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=373004

I bought the GHF2W two weeks ago and up to now I am very satisfied. The head takes my ATX 95 without any problem so far: no vibrations, no wobbling, due to the counterbalance spring no tilting. The material (die cast magnesium?) is strong yet lightweight and superior to the reinforced plastic of the G2180. The movements are smooth and well damped. The horizontal plane has slightly too much resistance for my tastes even fully unfastened and the twist grips provide only 1 cm of slideway to adjust the friction. Left and right from this small area the two axes are either fixed or completely open. As I tend to leave the grips loose while observing (because the head/scope combo stops in every position I want it to) these issues are peanuts for me. I can imagine that some people would prefer a beefier fluid head weighting >1kg especially on a heavy tripod but as I said at the beginning: I am very satisfied.

Last edited by forent : Thursday 7th March 2019 at 15:59.
Old Thursday 7th March 2019, 18:34   #8
henry link

Thanks forent, that's just the kind of information I was looking for.

Henry
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: