• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South of Tunisia from 16-12-2018 to 21-12-2018 (1 Viewer)

Moussier20

I was in the south of Tunisia for birding from the 16th to the 21th of December. Here are my sightings :

16-12-2018 Khobna Gafsa (20min) :

2 Eurasian Hoopoe
15 Crested Lark
1 Red-rumped Wheatear
1 Desert Wheatear

17-12-2018 Douz region (5hours) :

Common Shelduck
Northern Shoveler
Greater Flamingo
Little Grebe
Eurasian Moorhen
Black-winged Stilt
Kentish Plover
Common Snipe
Wood Sandpiper
Eurasian Kestrel
Great Gray Shrike
Crested Lark
Common Chiffchaff
Tristram's Warbler
Sardinian Warbler
Moussier's Redstart
White Wagtail
House Bunting
Spanish Sparrow

19-12-2018 South of Kebili desert area (5hours) :

Eurasian Collared-Dove
Brown-necked Raven
Greater Hoopoe-Lark
Bar-tailed
Thekla's Lark
Common Chiffchaff
Spectacled Warbler
White-crowned Wheatear
Red-rumped Wheatear
Desert Wheatear
Maghreb Wheatear
Black Wheatear
Streaked Scrub Warbler
Tristram's Warbler
White Wagtail
House Sparrow
Desert Sparrow

20-12-2018 South of Tataouine and Boughrara :

Common Quail
Greater Flamingo
Little Grebe
Eared Grebe
Rock Pigeon
Black-headed Gull
Yellow-legged Gull
Great Cormorant
Eurasian Hoopoe
Lanner Falcon
Desert Lark
Thekla's/Crested Lark
Fulvous Chatterer
Black Redstart
Blue Rock-Thrush
Black Wheatear
Maghreb Wheatear
House Bunting
House Sparrow

21-12-2018 Djerba Island :

Graylag Goose
Northern Shoveler
Eurasian Wigeon
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Greater Flamingo
Eared Grebe
Eurasian Coot
Common Crane
Black-bellied Plover
Kentish Plover
Common Ringed Plover
Whimbrel
Eurasian Curlew
Ruddy Turnstone
Sanderling
Dunlin
Little Stint
Common Sandpiper
Common Greenshank
Slender-billed Gull
Black-headed Gull
Mediterranean Gull
Yellow-legged Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Caspian Tern
Great Cormorant
Gray Heron
Great Egret
Little Egret
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Eurasian Spoonbill
Eurasian Marsh-Harrier
Great Gray Shrike
Crested Lark
Barn Swallow
Common Chiffchaff
Moustached Warbler
Zitting Cisticola
Meadow Pipit
Red-throated Pipit
Reed Bunting
House Sparrow

Attachments

Brilliant
Are there many Tunisian birdwatchers? I went a few years ago and saw none[ nor visiting birdwatchers].
I've pasted a copy of my report below.
My favorite area was Sebkha Moknine. Have you been there?

Spent a week at the Riu El Mansour Mahdia from 26/5/2013 to 2/6/2013. Didn’t do any research beforehand. It was intended as a relaxing break with whatever birdwatching was on hand. I wasn’t expecting much but the birdwatching turned out to be excellent. The entire area from the airport to Mahdia which is a one and a half hours drive is far from attractive. Lots of scrubby littered countryside, endless olive groves and untidy towns and villages. The hotel is set in the unappealing tourist zone. Fortunately it was very handy for an excellent network of paths which covered a great birdwatching area. It was also close to a railway station which was good for getting to the attractive old town of Mahdia, a bird rich salt lagoon called Sebkha Moknine and the impressive town centre of Monastir. The hotel was wonderful. Great food, drink AI package and brilliant friendly staff.

The locals

Anyone who has been to Morocco will be pleasantly surprised by the lack of any hassle whatsoever from the Tunisians.
You could go anywhere and not be bothered at all. The only exceptions were the beach sellers who took ‘no’ for an answer and just left you alone after that.

Spent a week at the Riu El Mansour Mahdia from 26/5/2013 to 2/6/2013. Didn’t do any research beforehand. It was intended as a relaxing break with whatever birdwatching was on hand. I wasn’t expecting much but the birdwatching turned out to be excellent. The entire area from the airport to Mahdia which is a one and a half hours drive is far from attractive. Lots of scrubby littered countryside, endless olive groves and untidy towns and villages. The hotel is set in the unappealing tourist zone. Fortunately it was very handy for an excellent network of paths which covered a great birdwatching area. It was also close to a railway station which was good for getting to the attractive old town of Mahdia, a bird rich salt lagoon called Sebkha Moknine and the impressive town centre of Monastir. The hotel was wonderful. Great food, drink AI package and brilliant friendly staff.

Sebkha Mocknine

Easily reached by the hourly train from the Mahdia Tourist Zone station.It cost the princely sum of 25p[sterling equivalent]. The trains ran on time and you can get a timetable from the station. It is an enormous salt lagoon seen from the station. It’s about a 5 minute walk from there. By May it had largely dried out but it was a top spot for birds. There were an impressive 18 Black-winged Stilt near the lagoon edge.

Amongst some very tall reeds I saw 2 Stone Curlew straight away. There was also a Kentish Plover and a Redshank about. A huge roost of around 300 Yellow-legged Gulls were in the middle of the lagoon. I counted 8 Zitting Cisticolas nearby as well as 4 Yellow Wagtails. In the surrounding fields there were 8 Crested Lark, 4 Hoopoe, 2 Great Grey Shrike, 3 Kestrel and several Sardinian Warbler,S panish Sparrow, Laughing Dove, Greenfinch, House Martin, Swift, Barn Swallow and Spotless Starling.

The Dar Fraj Apartments track.[including the recreational park]

This area was accessed by crossing the road from the hotel and walking behind the Dar Fraj Apartments.Taking a north easterly course it met the Botanical gardens track which then crossed the railway. Beyond there I walked toward the Mahdia back road taking a northerly course until the track turned east and met the Mahdia back road.

This too turned out to be an excellent bird rich area. The first birds I chanced upon behind the apartments were 2 noisy Black-eared Wheatear and 2 European Beeater. The Great Grey Shrikes started her. In all there were 14 Great Grey Shrike along the way.

Just past the railway line I saw a Rufous Bush Robin. Other birds seen were 7 Hoopoe, 5 Crested Lark, 8 Serin, 2 Little Owl sitting on walls, 8 Spotted Flycatcher, 3 Linnet, 3 Kestrel, Laughing Dove, Collared Dove, Blackbird, House Martin, Swift and Barn Swallow. The were a striking number of Greenfinch, Spotless Starling and Spanish Sparrow swirling around and feeding. As usual Sardinian Warblers could be seen or heard along the route.

The Hotel and Beach

Fortunately there were strong north easterly winds for two days. This blew in a few Cory’s Shearwater probably from the Cap Bon area. I saw a juvenile Gannet dive bombing on the horizon.

A Caspian Tern sauntered past one afternoon close to the beach. There were daily sightings of small groups of Common Tern close to the shore. After 3 pm every day a steady stream of Yellow-legged Gulls passed on a north easterly direction over the sea. Once all the sun beds had been abandoned in the evening the Spotted Flycatchers emerged along the beach. They used the coconut umbrellas and sun beds as launching pads. I counted 5 Spotted Flycatcher along a 500 yard stretch. Spotted Flycatcher were here there and everywhere during the week. One evening a Turtle Dove raised its head above the parapet amongst some dense vegetation on the edge of a hotel garden. There were 3 Spotted Flycatcher in the hotel grounds, a Serin, several Sardinian Warbler, Laughing Dove and the usual hoards of Greenfinch and Spanish Sparrow. I cannot recall having seen or heard so many Greenfinch as I witnessed around the Mahdia area.

Monastir

More of a sight seeing trip to an impressive town centre. It cost an amazing £1.75 return for a 40 km journey by train from the tourist zone station. To pay homage to Monty Python and The Life of Brian which was filmed at the Rabat we looked around the impressive fortress. It was the only place I saw a substantial number of Swift. Around 30 were swirling around the tower. The Bourgiba Mausoleum is certainly inspiring. There were 2 Sardinian Warbler and 2 Spotted Flycatcher in the gardens as well as the usual ranks of Greenfinch and Spanish Sparrow. Yellow-legged Gulls were out at sea as well as 2 Common Tern close in.

The last bird I saw As we approached the airport was a White Stork. All in all I was very impressed with the bird watching. It was hassle free and getting around was straightforward using the excellent Mahdia to Monastir train.

The Hotel and Beach

Fortunately there were strong north easterly winds for two days. This blew in a few Cory’s Shearwater probably from the Cap Bon area. I saw a juvenile Gannet dive bombing on the horizon.

A Caspian Tern sauntered past one afternoon close to the beach. There were daily sightings of small groups of Common Tern close to the shore. After 3 pm every day a steady stream of Yellow-legged Gulls passed on a north easterly direction over the sea. Once all the sun beds had been abandoned in the evening the Spotted Flycatchers emerged along the beach. They used the coconut umbrellas and sun beds as launching pads. I counted 5 Spotted Flycatcher along a 500 yard stretch. Spotted Flycatcher were here there and everywhere during the week. One evening a Turtle Dove raised its head above the parapet amongst some dense vegetation on the edge of a hotel garden. There were 3 Spotted Flycatcher in the hotel grounds, a Serin, several Sardinian Warbler, Laughing Dove and the usual hoards of Greenfinch and Spanish Sparrow. I cannot recall having seen or heard so many

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes there are some Tunisian birdwatchers but not a lot and I have some visiting birdwatchers (UK, France, Canada, USA, Ireland...), which I guided during some birding trips.

Concerning sebkhat Mocknine, yes I know it. It's very interesting for shorebirds and some other waterbirds species.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back