Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special ‚Äď Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Getting a Celestron ultima80, but which tripod? :/

Old Tuesday 15th January 2019, 11:41   #1
Chilt

Getting a Celestron ultima80, but which tripod? :/

So Iíve been looking quite a bit at tripods and I have around £50-60 to spend on one! Iíve seen one call the zomei q666 which is £53 and seems decent quality for the price but itís ball head, will a ball head be okay as a beginner and the fact my scope wonít be massive and heavy? Any recommendations on a decent but withinmy budget tripod and head?

Thanks

Chilt
Old Tuesday 15th January 2019, 13:13   #2
dwatsonbirder
Mostly off the radar

A Velbon sherpa would be the best bet within that budget, can't say I've ever heard of Zomei. With a large 80mm its a good idea not to scrimp on the support, as a cheap tripod won't offer sufficient dampening and as a result you won't be getting the best out of your scope. If you don't mind the weight, a used manfrotto is another option in that price range and should provide a good level of support.

@axbridge_birder
Old Tuesday 15th January 2019, 13:41   #3
Chilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatsonbirder View Post
A Velbon sherpa would be the best bet within that budget, can't say I've ever heard of Zomei. With a large 80mm its a good idea not to scrimp on the support, as a cheap tripod won't offer sufficient dampening and as a result you won't be getting the best out of your scope. If you don't mind the weight, a used manfrotto is another option in that price range and should provide a good level of support.
The Velbon on Amazon is coming in at £91 which I canít afford :( I use to have a manfrotto years ago but sold all my gear :(
Old Tuesday 15th January 2019, 13:42   #4
Chilt

Would a ball head be okay to start with until I got the funds for a better head?
Old Tuesday 15th January 2019, 16:22   #5
dwatsonbirder
Mostly off the radar

A ball head with an 80mm is definitely not recommended! Here are a few good options within your price range; velbon sherpa, Slik able, Slik D3 and a slight old fashioned but probably stable Cullmann or even this RSPB tripod. Also worth keeping an eye on London Camera Exchange etc for a good used option.

@axbridge_birder
Old Tuesday 15th January 2019, 19:54   #6
Chilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatsonbirder View Post
A ball head with an 80mm is definitely not recommended! Here are a few good options within your price range; velbon sherpa, Slik able, Slik D3 and a slight old fashioned but probably stable Cullmann or even this RSPB tripod. Also worth keeping an eye on London Camera Exchange etc for a good used option.
Iíve heard a lot of people mentioning velbon! So I may just go with them! Cause the amazon reviews ainít amazing but those people are getting them
For a DSLR camera! So gunna go and do my research now :)

Thanks for all the help and still welcome for feedback

Chilt
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: