• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (8 Viewers)

Redpoll - probably Lesser. At least three of the delightful little beauties currently visiting feeders at St Albans (UK) watercress beds.

I finally saw my first ever Long-eared Owl this morning at Deeping Lakes Nature Reserve in Lincolnshire.

Attachments

• IMG_4634 (2).JPG
    IMG_4634 (2).JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 49
Long-eared owl today (the fairly well-advertised one at an RSPB reserve in Cheshire). One of a few UK species that I'd resigned myself to never seeing, due to the understandable reluctance to publicise sites, so this was a massive bonus on the end of a weekend that was targetted at willow tit (also successfully ticked).

Rustic Bunting in San Francisco February 15th

Patricia had an errand in San Francisco, California, so I tagged along and ticked the Rustic Bunting that has been hanging out in Golden Gate Park. I thought I would be able to tick the Common Scoter that has been in Crescent City for some weeks on the way to San Francisco, but it left the day before. Actually, we got into town after dark, and I ran into a friend at the restaurant who had seen it that day, 13th of February. We were at the appropriate dock at first light on the 14th, but alas, it was not seen again.

I'll have to go to Scotland for that one, I guess.

I've only been making a concerted effort at identifying birds I see for a short time, but what motivated me to start a list this year was spotting an American Kestrel on my way home on Jan. 1, 2015. I've been wanting to spot one for a long time and never seemed to see any, though I know they're around. Most recent "lifer" is another fairly common one -- a Cooper's Hawk just last week. I'm sure I've seen them previously and not known which hawk they were, but this one posed nicely on my deck for me to be sure of its identity. Unfortunately, he didn't stick around long enough for a photo.
--Bryan

Last edited:
Latest birds

David - Brown-cheeked Hornbill (Sarah missed this as she was unwilling to view from swinging platform at Kakum).
Sarah - Kemps Longbill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back