• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arrow Valley Lake and Park (Redditch) (1 Viewer)

Egrets

Nice one, I will have to keep my eyes peeled to try and spot some of those. Thanks CJ

Hi Boggers,

4 Egrets still around this week. At sunrise they tend to leave the lake and do a spot of fishing just downstream of the bottom weir. Seen them plenty of times without my camera but never when I have it with me!!!
Did you hear about the Cettis Warbler a few weeks ago? Didn't see or hear it but it was ringed by Mike from Ipslet Alders.

This morning at about 08:00 a flight of 16 cormorants landed after circling the lake for about 5 minutes. They flew off at about 8:25.

Small flock of Siskins present both today and Saturday. Herons have started nesting. 5 Little Egrets still present this morning (highest count has been 8).

Hi Boggers,

4 Egrets still around this week. At sunrise they tend to leave the lake and do a spot of fishing just downstream of the bottom weir. Seen them plenty of times without my camera but never when I have it with me!!!
Did you hear about the Cettis Warbler a few weeks ago? Didn't see or hear it but it was ringed by Mike from Ipslet Alders.

Went on Thursday Dave & saw Egrets down by Hoŵard Road & again by the bottom of the weir. Still couldn't get decent pictures! Kingfishers have paired up by Isley pool already. Saw another Kingy up by the totem pole.

Need to check Ipsley Alders out soon, not been for close on a year now.

Two Little Egret this afternoon on Ipsley Pool. Kingfisher flypast & a singing Chiffchaff.

Attachments

• P1220511.JPG
    P1220511.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 74
  • P1220492.JPG
    P1220492.JPG
    550 KB · Views: 70
  • P1220518.JPG
    P1220518.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 75
Great shots Neil. This week I found myself at the River Otter in Budleigh Salterton. Finally managed to grab a few shots of a Little Egret although not of your quality unfortunately. They have Beavers down there, didn't get to see any but saw tracks, gnawed trees & their lodge. Also checked out Dowles Brook today, snapped my first ever Dipper. Nice bird to see! I have given up trying to spot Mr Pegg's Lesser Spotted at Arrow Valley & am going to put a shift in at Wyre Forest instead in my efforts to track one down.

Had a spare hour this afternoon so popped down to Ipsley pool for a peep. Lots of Kingfisher activity. Got to watch a pair pursue each other up & down about 20 metres of river. They perched often not seeming to mind my presence enabling me to get a few decent shots as well as a short video of one taking a dip in the water. Walked up passed Sailing Club looking for activity in last years spots. Kingfishers present there as well. Looks like it will be a good year for the little bolts of bright blue.

I am after finding a male stag beetle a his year. Has anyone an interest in insects or know of any sightings in the locality? I know they are pretty rare round these parts.

Got my first ever Dipper last weekend. Present on the lake for about half an hour. Apparently a first for Arrow Valley. Sadly it didn't hang around. Sorry I didn't post at the time but had computer problems.

Got my first ever Dipper last weekend. Present on the lake for about half an hour. Apparently a first for Arrow Valley. Sadly it didn't hang around. Sorry I didn't post at the time but had computer problems.

Brilliant....wonder if it was the one from the Bourn earlier in the year ?

3 Common Tern (5.00pm), Garden Warbler, 2 Reed Warbler, 2 young Herons at least, large number of Sand Martin, Swallows & a few House Martin, Great Crested Grebe with young.

Attachments

• P1240854.JPG
    P1240854.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 76
Dave - Can you detail exactly where you saw the Dipper please as that's a great record and would like to get a shot if possible.

On both occasions it flew from the river side of the lake and ended up near to the Battens Drive side. The first time (and when I made the positive I.D) it perched on some half submerged branches near to a coot's nest. Easily seen through binoculars from the duck feeding area.

Managed to wangle a bit of time while in Redditch and tried for Dave's Dipper.....it was late in the afternoon so not surprised I missed it......but did see..

2 Common Tern...even faster in the wind.
4 Little Egret...in beeeding colours....
Also a rarity for me...flying Great Crested Grebe

Attachments

• MAY 5 21 A_filtered.jpg
    MAY 5 21 A_filtered.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 76
  • MAY 5 22 A_filtered.jpg
    MAY 5 22 A_filtered.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 61
  • MAY 5 19_filtered.jpg
    MAY 5 19_filtered.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 90
  • MAY 5 26 A_filtered.jpg
    MAY 5 26 A_filtered.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 64
  • MAY 5 27 A_filtered.jpg
    MAY 5 27 A_filtered.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 93
Swan

The Swan that has nested on the large island has had 2, possibly 3, young so far. She moved off the nest briefly this morning just before 8.

The Little Egrets have a nest (I think I glimpsed young) on the large island, easily visible from the west bank. There is a Herons nest in the same tree which is easier to spot. Its very near the top, and the Egret's nest is a little lower on the right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back