• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird IDs Pakistan - Warbler and Buzzard (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

The Warbler was photographed at remnant Mangrove in Karachi during mid-June. Looks closest to a Blyth's Reed Warbler but legs look pink-ish?

The Buzzard was photographed at Dera Ismail Khan in North Western Pakistan on March 9. Cannot work out if it is a Long Legged Buzzard or a Common Buzzard species.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• blythques.jpg
    blythques.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 85
  • buzzspec.jpg
    buzzspec.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 114
  • buzzspec2.jpg
    buzzspec2.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 70
This is more in way of a bump than anything!

(For what it’s worth, I dont personally see in your buzzard images anything to rule out juvenile B.b.b on wing and tail structure (also appears to me in the image to be short necked and round headed) the plumage for me is challenging, neither consistently [/I]buteo nor consistently rufinus)

Hopefully one of the usual ‘experts’ will make public their views!

The buzzard is a 2cy Long-legged, aged by light iris. Dark carpal patches and dark belly can resemble Rough-legged but look at the bare legs ;)

The Acrocephalus warbler is more difficult. In june most probable would be Clamorous I suppose? I think it looks OK for one...

Surely Steppe as alternative not RL would have been more likely on range? Having another look, agree with juvenile LLB and not juvenile CB but it did at first glance, look very heavily marked on upper body and head and the head/neck on the first image looked very CB to me - I put the long winged/tail length down to age!

Thanks Roland for the ID (btw I concluded Clamerous too for warbler, just on cf internet/guide book images but have no experience of this sp so didnt comment)

Thanks all.

Clamorous Reed Warbler is the usual Warbler found in this region.

I thought Long Legged Buzzard would be more likely but Asian Buzzards are very complicated. Rough Legged Buzzards have been recorded in India before so North West Pakistan must get some vagrants.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back