• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does anyone recognise this bird dropping?? (1 Viewer)

Janshorty

Hi,

I found this 'dropping' on the roof of one of my bird tables today. It is really big, I have placed a £2 coin next to it so that you can compare the size. I was wondering if anyone could confirm which bird parted with it?? The bird table is very close to the house. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Bird poo.jpg
    Bird poo.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 226
Crikey - that's HUGE!!!!!!! :'D

Possibly some type of crow - carrion/magpie/rook? Or perhaps even a Pheasant if you get them in your area. Or a Buzzard....or is that me just getting carried away LOL

Do you have Turkeys in Manchester? Is your feeder the size of a dog house? :bounce: Really, my son has a turkey and I'm sure the droppings looked similar.

Edit: :-O :-O It just occurred to me that I have no idea what size that coin is. It could be the size of an American penny! I was thinking about the size of a quarter.

Last edited:
I actually heard an owl on Friday night, Tawny I think from its call. Never heard one before near the house. Also where the bird table is situated we get mice (clearing up the leftover bird seed). I didn't mention the owl earlier as I wanted some guesses first.

Never seen a Turkey in the garden!!!!! LOL

Peregrinator said:
Do you have Turkeys in Manchester? Is your feeder the size of a dog house? :bounce: Really, my son has a turkey and I'm sure the droppings looked similar.

The bird table is on the large size!! Handmade by my Dad!!

Haven't studied owls yet, but I thought they had very distinctive droppings. Do you live in the city, or outside a bit?

Keep a close eye out, maybe you will be the first to see that Pterydactyls are not extinct after all!! ;)

Peregrinator said:
Haven't studied owls yet, but I thought they had very distinctive droppings. Do you live in the city, or outside a bit?

I suppose you could say Urban!! Very close to a river, over my back fence is a large park area lined with lots of large trees. Also not too far away is 'The moss'.

Peregrinator said:

Edit: :-O :-O It just occurred to me that I have no idea what size that coin is. It could be the size of an American penny! I was thinking about the size of a quarter.

My father-in-law says it is about the size of an old silver dollar, hope that helps.

I'd say Gill expressed things right. I gotta say, I don't know s**t, but that does looks like my son's messy Turkey stuff. I hope somebody can solve this--inquiring minds want to know.

My son also has DUCKS. Maybe I just thought the big stuff came from the Turkey, but it came from the Ducks instead. You have a river close by. Maybe.

Peregrinator said:
My son also has DUCKS. Maybe I just thought the big stuff came from the Turkey, but it came from the Ducks instead. You have a river close by. Maybe.

We get the ducks from the river in the front garden (they even knocked me up out of bed one Saturday morning!!!) This 'dropping' is far too firm to have come from them!!! :D

Sorry, in the case of gamebirds, not sure about other birds though, when a hen is incubating (clocking) she only leaves the nest once or twice a day. All the poo comes out in one big gooey lot when she's away from the nest!! Foil is just a fancy name for poo.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back