• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Misidentification on bird stamps (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
Hello, birds on stamps seem to be a fine way to make money. But that is not what intrigues me. It's the fact that, sometimes, the birds that are depicted are not the ones they should be. I only know of two such cases, but I wonder whether there are people who know others.

Here are the ones I know:

Canada has issued a stamp, either this year or last which is clearly showing a Gyrfalcon. However, the caption says Peregrine. A Peregrine would have a distinct mustache, here there is none. To just mention the most obvious.

The second case dates much further back:

Lichtenstein (that tiny country next to smallish Switzerland with which it shares the currency) has issued a series of airmail stamps in 1939. The 1 Fr value clearly shows a Bearded Vulture in the foreground, with its typical flight silhouette of slender slightly drooping wings and a long wedge-shaped tail. Yet the caption in the catalogues always says "Eagles". The bird in the background may actually be one, but it's not clear to me. There is a second stamp (2 Fr value) where the catalogues actually do say Bearded Vulture, but those bird pictures are not very typical as far as I am concerned.

Makes me wonder who was responsible for designing/labelling the stamps, clearly not a birdo.

I don't know of any other examples, but I'm certainly going to keep an eye out for any.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back