• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (1 Viewer)

Spoke too soon re Gulls.

Re Redwings too! Twenty or so over late morning brings my 50 up.

Your story about photographing the peregrine made me laugh- hopefully your neighbour didn't clock you, lol !

Are you surrounded by houses on all sides too ?

Best regards, Carol

No, we have a pretty decent aspect out back, with a wooded bank down to a small river behind our residents' car park.

I have attached a shot taken from my sons' bedroom, the view off to the right from our car park, and my rooftop Peregrine from a few years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_5679.JPG
    IMG_5679.JPG
    313.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5368.JPG
    IMG_5368.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN1485.JPG
    DSCN1485.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 46
Nice garden view you got, JWNA. :t:

And welcome "newbies", Carol and Seth (and other new ones too - there were some... I think... :brains:).

#45. Redwing - heard only

Jeepers! Creepers!....where’d you get those Treepers from?

Jeepers! Creepers...where’d you get those eyes?

Golly Gee!...when you put those peepers on...woe is he...;) :t:

:t: :-O

Congratulations to Richard! (For the bird - not so much from Ken’s lyrics. 3:) )

Jeepers! Creepers!....where’d you get those Treepers from?

Jeepers! Creepers...where’d you get those eyes?

Golly Gee!...when you put those peepers on...woe is he...;) :t:

I wondered which film the song came from Ken , a bit ironic in these confinement times...from Wikepedia: The music was written by Harry Warren and the lyrics by Johnny Mercer for the 1938 movie Going Places. :eek!::eek!:

Welcome to Seth by the way, some exotic species for us to dream about in 'Yurrup':t:
Thanks to alarm calling White Wagtails I was just able to snatch a few seconds view of another addition this afternoon:

60 Black Kite

Spiralling down into the valley proper.

The neighbour reckoned he saw one a fortnight ago but the odd Red Kites have been knocking about;), last year's first one was 6 April here.

You're on a roll Carol (perhaps a loo roll if you're in the bathroom :eek!:) In the photo you refer to we're higher up the hill where the snow was starting to lie, to the right of a new-looking paler chalet and to the left of the older darker one (both bigger than our place).
First Garden tick of the year just now which takes us to 99 since we arrived at this address in 2016, I didn't believe my ears at first as it's a song rarely heard heard at our altitude in the region, even managed to fire off a couple of distant 'record shots' as I believe they're called;):

59 Short-toed Treecreeper

I wonder what the 100th will be and will it be this year even (only two Garden ticks last year so the possibilities are reducing), I still reckon Whinchat is a glaring omission, they breed only 3kms away for heaven's sake:C

Hahaha Richard -definitely not loo roll ( far too precious after 10 attempts recently to purchase here , with success only on the 10th ! )

Your home setting looks beautiful and very high up ......

Congratulations on the Garden Tick, STT -wow ! B :) That is not a bird which I would ever see here, that's for sure ...... my last of those was on the Portuguese Algarve, a few years ago.

I wonder what your hundredth bird will be ?..

Congratulations on the Garden Tick, STT -wow ! B :) That is not a bird which I would ever see here, that's for sure ...... my last of those was on the Portuguese Algarve, a few years ago.

I wonder what your hundredth bird will be ?..

I tell you what, to stop everyone going doolally tap let's have a competition. I invite all Garden listers here present to make their guess for what No 100 will be, the winner will receive a prize of a signed copy of my book A Guide to 200 Common Birds of Lebanon:t: Remember, we live at 1,000metres altitude in Haute-Savoie.
Currently on the list(sorry not in taxonomic order, more the order I've seen them in!
Robin
Song Thrush
Mistle Thrush
Fieldfare
Blackbird
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Blue Tit
Marsh Tit
Nuthatch
Magpie
Raven
Carrion Crow
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Siskin
Bullfinch
Common Buzzard
Yellowhammer
White Wagtail
Starling
Sparrowhawk
Hawfinch
Woodpigeon
Chiffchaff
Black Redstart
Swallow
Black Kite
Blackcap
Swift
Red backed Shrike
House Martin
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Honey Buzzard
Green Woodpecker
Golden Eagle
Wren
Common Kestrel
Common Redstart
Bonelli's Warbler
Short-toed Eagle
Linnet
Jay
Cuckoo
Black Woodpecker
Grey Heron
Wryneck
Griffon Vulture
Nutcracker
Common Treecreeper
Long-tailed tit
Crested Tit
Alpine Accentor
Willow Tit
Tree Pipit
Firecrest
Citril Finch
Water Pipit
Tawny Owl
House Sparrow
Hobby
Crossbill
Goshawk
Bluethroat
Rock Bunting
Lammergeier
Peregrine Falcon
Marsh Harrier
Serin
Willow Warbler
Wood Warbler
Ring Ousel
Cirl Bunting
Spotted Flycatcher
Pied Flycatcher
Golden Oriole
Garden Warbler
Tengmalm's Owl(heard)
Alpine Chough
Brambling
Crag Martin
Meadow Pipit
Alpine Swift
Goldcrest
Common Whitethroat
Dunnock
Lesser Redpoll
Redwing
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
Hoopoe
Red Kite
Lesser Whitethroat
Middle Spotted woodpecker
Merlin
Skylark
Northern Wheatear
Pine Bunting
Short-toed Treecreeper

Wife sent me this pic today taken from the temporary office at home (spare bedroom} while i was out doing essential employment. Two grey wagtails dropped in one on the kitchen extension and one on the fence. She was so excited as this is one of her favourite birds and a garden tick.

Attachments

• IMG-20200401-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20200401-WA0000.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 32
Over on Twitter Carol suggested I join this thread. I think my total garden list is 61. Time for the usual excuses: nowhere near the coast or lake; nearest big river 1.5 miles away; crap birder etc. etc.

So here’s 2020 so far:

1. Blue Tit
2. Great Tit
3. Coal Tit
4. Long-tailed Tit
5. Blackbird
6. Song Thrush
7. Mistle Thrush
8. Collared Dove
9. Woodpigeon
10. Stock Dove
11. Siskin
12. Goldfinch
13. Greenfinch
14. Chaffinch
15. Bullfinch
16. Chiffchaff
17. Robin
18. Dunnock
19. House Sparrow
20. Nuthatch
21. Treecreeper
22. Wren
23. Meadow Pipit
24. Mallard
25. GSW
26. Green Woodpecker
27. Canada Goose
28. Herring Gull
29. Red Kite
30. Common Buzzard
31. Raven
32. Carrion Crow
33. Jackdaw
34. Magpie
35. Jay
36. Pied Wagtail
37. Grey Wagtail
38. Grey Heron
39. Starling
40. Tawny Owl

Rich

Nowhere near the coast? Yeh Rich, but you live in S Wales so you're always near water (especially in recent years:C)

Welcome aboard shipmate.

Whinchat is my hot favourie JW, well played that man!

Nowhere near the coast? Yeh Rich, but you live in S Wales so you're always near water (especially in recent years:C)

Welcome aboard shipmate.

Whinchat is my hot favourie JW, well played that man!

I suppose so Rich. Just needed to get my excuses in early. Song Thrushes and Nuthatches appear to be having a good year around here. As well as Wood Pigeons unfortunately. When we first moved in we hardly saw them at all near the garden.

Nice one on the Whinchat James.

I moved the feeders recently and the GSW’s are less nervous now.

Attachments

• D0A0C29F-5F79-4D23-AE4C-1D30FF157FB5.jpg
    D0A0C29F-5F79-4D23-AE4C-1D30FF157FB5.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 30
Whinchat is my guess for Richard's 100th garden tick, not a sighting of my own. It's on a previous garden list in West Cheshire, but not here yet!

Welcome Carol & Seth - great to have a contributor from Bangladesh! Some great birds.

That's a good idea, I'll try to remember to add some pictures of the garden & outlook - remind me if I don't.

It's been quiet here recently and dull & cold too. So the hoped-for Swallow was better off not putting in an appearance.

Take no notice of Ken, Carol, he has a fantastic garden & flight path. Us mortals can't compete.

Re Redwings too! Twenty or so over late morning brings my 50 up.

No, we have a pretty decent aspect out back, with a wooded bank down to a small river behind our residents' car park.

I have attached a shot taken from my sons' bedroom, the view off to the right from our car park, and my rooftop Peregrine from a few years ago.

Good morning JWN
Thank you for sharing your photographs of the aspect . It's nice to have a view of a river . Plus that should be productive for your garden List too ;)

I look forward to reading of your next sightings.

2 more additions to my list later yesterday afternoon :

12) Lesser Black-backed Gull in flight
13) A group of Jackdaws in flight

Mine is definitely a very slow marathon not a sprint, lol !

Best regards and stay safe everyone, Carol

Bumper morning in the back garden (or rather over it)!

Two expected birds finally giving themselves up, and one star migrant.

44. Woodlark one over East, calling early morning.
45. Little Egret dropping past the back garden onto the brook.
46. Canada Goose medium altitude heading East, presumed local bird commuting.

FWIW my garden list stands at a total of 102 spp.

John

April 2nd.

56. Curlew - one south quite low

Actually this is a garden lifer, #93. And #43 on my Lockdown List. Just wondering if it will feature on Birdguides - they have put out some similar garden birds recently.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back