• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small bird Poland (1 Viewer)

Wouldn’t a juvenile Stonechat at the height of the breeding season, (1st June) be a little out of place in a garden with dense mature (shrubs)?!

I was just throwing that idea based on general feel, by no means I insist on it being a Stonechat. But I find the argument of "out of place" really weird on a thread where people suggest Red-breasted Flycatcher, a bird that basically never occurs outside dense deciduous forests!

...But I find the argument of "out of place" really weird on a thread where people suggest Red-breasted Flycatcher, a bird that basically never occurs outside dense deciduous forests!

To widen the discussion (not withstanding the OP image, which as Roland says, is probably unidentifiable!) What you say, maybe correct for specific regions (eg where ‘dense deciduous forests’ are the available habitat) but I’ve certainly seen R-bF in mixed or predominantly spruce plantations where there are also a good density of dead trees/snags ... the OP reports R-bF in his area that has both river and gardens/general area being ‘surrounded ’ by forest habitat which sounds fine for R-bF to me.

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...-Ficedula-parva.pdf?origin=publication_detail

”Because the dominant tree species in the territories of Red-Breasted Flycatch- ers are also the most frequently used trees for nest-sites (Mitrus & soc ́ko 2004), it is likely that Red-Breasted Flycatchers choose territories based on the density or Tree density (indiv./10ha)

38 C. Mitrus, N. Kleszko and B. Soc ́ko
quality of nesting trees. Standing snags may also be an important component of habitat quality because almost 30% of Red-breasted Flycatchers (Mitrus & soc ́ko 2004) and other cavity nesting birds (wesołowski 1989, showalter & whitMore 2002, czeszczewik & walankiewicz 2003) build nests in snags. A territory com- prised of high snag density may also indicate greater food resources because snags harbor many species of insect larvae (aulen 1991, irMler et al. 1996, Fayt 1999). To date, few researchers have described in detail the biotope of the Red-breasted Flycatcher. In eastern Sweden, most Red-breasted Flycatchers territories are located in mixed coniferous stands with only 10% deciduous (tJenberg 1984). In Russia and Belarus, the territories are dominated by spruce and alder (peklo 1987, bysh- nev & stavrovsky 1998). It is likely that for Red-breasted Flycatchers across its breeding range, it is not tree stand composition, but the availability of food resourc- es and nest sites that are of primary importance for territory quality.”

Last edited:
As for the suggestion of juvenile flycatchers on 1st June: Pied would be rather early and Red-breasted almost impossible as the bulk arrive not before Beginning/Mid May in Central Europe.

In the end, I think we probably will not know for sure what it was...

You're absolutely right. On both accounts.

But I find the argument of "out of place" really weird on a thread where people suggest Red-breasted Flycatcher, a bird that basically never occurs outside dense deciduous forests!

On my land, in the years I am lucky enough to find a breeding pair, they are always in spruce, not deciduous (despite most of my forest being deciduous). Likewise, elsewhere in this part of the world, most I have found are in spruce.

Post breeding, I have encountered them on my land in open wet deciduous forest adjacent to the spruce.

On my land, in the years I am lucky enough to find a breeding pair, they are always in spruce, not deciduous (despite most of my forest being deciduous). Likewise, elsewhere in this part of the world, most I have found are in spruce.

Post breeding, I have encountered them on my land in open wet deciduous forest adjacent to the spruce.

Are we talking about the same bird? :) Even on Hel, in the endless pine plantations, they always turned up onin the smaller deciduous parts ...

Anyway, my point was mainly that I would not expect them in a garden.

Are we talking about the same bird? :) Even on Hel, in the endless pine plantations, they always turned up onin the smaller deciduous parts ...

Anyway, my point was mainly that I would not expect them in a garden.

Yes, same species.

I do agree with your point they would be (slightly!) unexpected in a garden during the breeding season but given the local habitat of the OP, less so. (cf to eg.Stonechat). It would certainly be far less unexpected for non-breeding/post breeding/migrating/wintering birds which will often use parks and gardens (with tall trees) for foraging. I’ve also seen several 1w on the coast here over the years in the UK in all sorts of different autumn habitat although vagrancy tells us nothing really in this respect but all very different (in a non-weird way!) to saying ‘basically never outside dense deciduous forest’ to make the similar point ;))

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back