• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Exhibiting at the Bird Fair (1 Viewer)

Andrew Ellis

Hi Guy's , is anyone doing this or have they in the past? I and my wife are considering The Bird Fair as a place to sell the prints etc just wanted to know if anyone
else from the group here has any experience of it?

Hi Andrew,

Yes, I've been doing it from the very beginning, cripes how many years?? :eek!:

It's developed into an incredible event, with a real sense of community in the old art marquee. The mural is always good to be involved in and certainly attracts the hordes over the long weekend. Most artists do reasonably well on sales, some exceptionally well. Always an international event, with visiting 'names' from foreign climes intermixing with the locals. Many regular names, Robert Gillmour, Chris Rose, John Gale, Mike Langman etc do quite well with sales of LE prints.
Lars occasionally turns up and freaks us all out!

What more would you like to know?

Last edited:
Hi Andrew,

Yes, I've been doing it from the very beginning, cripes how many years?? :eek!:

It's developed into an incredible event, with a real sense of community in the old art marquee. The mural is always good to be involved in and certainly attracts the hordes over the long weekend. Most artists do reasonably well on sales, some exceptionally well. Always an international event, with visiting 'names' from foreign climes intermixing with the locals. Many regular names, Robert Gillmour, Chris Rose, John Gale, Mike Langman etc do quite well with sales of LE prints.
Lars occasionally turns up and freaks us all out!

What more would you like to know?

In fact..[and correct me if i'm wrong Mark]...you've never missed a single birdfair event since it started have you..? Blimey!

[Andrew]...as Mark has just said...it's a great event for all the reasons he's described...so do come along if you get the chance and proceeds to good causes etc!

ps....apart from all things 'artwork' there's so much more to do and see....[and some of the lectures really are superb]....! etc etc

Hi Guy's , is anyone doing this or have they in the past? I and my wife are considering The Bird Fair as a place to sell the prints etc just wanted to know if anyone
else from the group here has any experience of it?

Hi Andrew I had my paintings at the Bird Fair two or three times but I'm not sure my experience will be of any use, since they were included in colective shows of the ANF. I also participated in the making of the mural of Tumbesian project.
In general terms I think you should considere the costs involved (booth, framing, travel and lodging). I'm sure your art will be highly appreciated at the BF but the present economy won't help to make good sells.
Good luck!

Hi Andrew I had my paintings at the Bird Fair two or three times but I'm not sure my experience will be of any use, since they were included in colective shows of the ANF. I also participated in the making of the mural of Tumbesian project.
In general terms I think you should considere the costs involved (booth, framing, travel and lodging). I'm sure your art will be highly appreciated at the BF but the present economy won't help to make good sells.
Good luck!

Very true, it is not a cheap event by any means, wise words in the current environment.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I am thinking more for next year in terms of exhibiting. I think I will go along and have a look this year. Would be great chance for all of us to meet up and chat though? Just a thougt.

Hi Andy
I tried for a stand at this year's event but didn't get one. I was on the list for nearly a year so I assume it's tough breaking in - having said that; you have to give it a shot.
I had some work there in 1991 - eeek!

Thanks for the heads up guys. I am thinking more for next year in terms of exhibiting. I think I will go along and have a look this year. Would be great chance for all of us to meet up and chat though? Just a thougt.

The powers that be at BF normally have a little get together at the Birdfair, keep a check on threads for it. They have had a marquee in previous years but I think it is now that BF members can meet at a certain place and time...possibly be down myself this year.

I've never managed to get to the birdfair, it always clashes with other things somehow. I'm lucky though because the gallery has a stand there so my stuff gets displayed anyway. It sure would be nice to have an independent go at it though.

Mike

I've never managed to get to the birdfair, it always clashes with other things somehow. I'm lucky though because the gallery has a stand there so my stuff gets displayed anyway. It sure would be nice to have an independent go at it though.

Mike

Here's an off the wall Suggestion why don't we apply as a group or ask the forum to apply for us all and have a good show of what we do on here!!

Hi Andy
I tried for a stand at this year's event but didn't get one. I was on the list for nearly a year so I assume it's tough breaking in - having said that; you have to give it a shot.
I had some work there in 1991 - eeek!

Tim I'm a little surprised with this considering the reputation you have amongst the birders. They are limiting the rich experience that your art would give the show. Never ceases to amaze the narrow high brow attitude some of these events have. Or maybe I'm being over sensitive to rejection:t:

I used to take a folder of work every year and then harrass the artists there. Some were very, very kind and full of encouragement, some looked terrifying and I didn't bother them. I wish we had something like the birdfair here in France.

I used to take a folder of work every year and then harrass the artists there. Some were very, very kind and full of encouragement, some looked terrifying and I didn't bother them. I wish we had something like the birdfair here in France.

Or here in US. My guess is that Birds in Art that Colleen was in last year is the only thing that comes close and it's strictly an art exhibit. Not to criticize that but just to differentiate it from the Bird Fair which is a lot more according to my very limited knowledge.

i had my name down for this year but its so popular that its just a case of waiting for a space.i went last year for the first time and was really impressed with the whole event,just wish i'd had the dosh for some of the great kit on show.

I think we should suggest to the powers that be that we go and invade the reserve - stick a few pictures on the hide walls, but actually be field sketching. Don't think I could sit in a marquee knowing that there are such scarcities as Gadwall, Common Tern, Sedge Warbler and Shelduck nearby! (anyone want to swap a Bee eater for a Sedgie?). But if we could get the field artists out in the field, we could be there without taking up space (and perhaps without paying!!!) (much)

I think we should suggest to the powers that be that we go and invade the reserve - stick a few pictures on the hide walls, but actually be field sketching. Don't think I could sit in a marquee knowing that there are such scarcities as Gadwall, Common Tern, Sedge Warbler and Shelduck nearby! (anyone want to swap a Bee eater for a Sedgie?). But if we could get the field artists out in the field, we could be there without taking up space (and perhaps without paying!!!) (much)

great, just give me a lift on the donkey you'll hire once you've swam over the channel! ;)8-P

that would be good fun for sure, I ain't gonna be breaking in anytime soon though and it might clash with a holiday to Canada at any rate!!

oh and I'll swap Bee-eater for all those. Come to think of it could I just swap houses with you and be done with it?8-P8-P;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back