• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 1D IV viewfinder problem. (1 Viewer)

Keebs

If I fire off enough shots, maybe just one of 'em
So I was out and about yesterday and there were a few occasions where I thought my 1DIV couldn't lock focus and I put it down to the dull day and misty air.

However playing around in my back garden this morning I've found this…

I can adjust the diopter to focus the viewfinder with the screen information and then both my eye and the camera agree on the lens AF subsequently produced - all good.

But if I then turn the camera upwards to about 30 degrees or so about 50% of the time the viewfinder suddenly goes completely out of focus, but the AF is still spot on if I take a picture.(So obviously nothing to do with the lens, a 400 5.6) I then have to lower the camera to horizontal and push the focus button a couple of times to bring the viewfinder back into focus. Very strange.

I've tried pushing/jiggling the diopter adjustment dial but cannot reproduce the problem that way, and it is the same with the eyepiece on or off, makes no difference.
It's not my eye moving or eyelashes touching the eyepiece or anything stupid like that.

Any thoughts?

Sounds to me as if something has worked loose in the focus system and it is allowing the viewing system to go in and out of alignment. I would stop using the camera and get it in to be checked out by a repairer. If a screw has dropped out it could cause havoc roaming around inside the body, shorting out circuit boards and even jamming the shutter. Expensive!

Had a similar problem with my 1DIV - but with a rattle when shaken. Turned out to be a loose screen due to it falling over at some point. Fixed by Canon Borehamwood for £120 including full service.

Michael.

Thanks guys - I found a couple of other references to the focussing screen online too so I guess that's the most likely.

Hospital job then :-(

I'm actually nearer Colchester (10 mins away!) so it's going to Colchester Camera Repair Service, they're an official Canon service centre and seem to have good reviews around and about.

Thanks for the tip though. :t:

(Profile location now updated too!)

Last edited:
The preliminary examination is pointing towards the viewfinder unit being loose, which is £38 + labour to replace.

I will update this when the repair is completed.

Picked up the repaired (and serviced) camera this afternoon, it was indeed the viewfinder unit that was the problem.

£38.65 + VAT for the replacement part, and £150 + VAT for labour and full service.
Could have been a lot worse I guess so lucky me!

It appears to be working fine now, happy days, now where's that sunshine gone?...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back