• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

good day! (1 Viewer)

erik

cheesehead
Netherlands
It has been quite a good morning for me. I went birding with a friend of mine and we did a bike trip of 30 miles. We went to a observationcabin in a waterreservation. We arrived at 9.00 am and stayed there til 12.00. Following species were spotted:

Great Crested Grebe
Cuckoo (heard)
Coot
Mute Swan
Tufted Duck
Little Grebe (loads of them nestling there)
Reed Bunting
Shelduck
Egyptian Goose
Grey Lag Goose (with 10 gooslings)
Great Reed Warbler
Bittern (2 nesting spots)
Swift
Barn Swallow
Grey Heron
Mallard
Moorhen
Garganey
Pochard
Gadwall

We also hoped for Osprey or White Tailed Eagle cause they are spotted now and then overthere. There are also 8 pairs of Rednecked Grebes breeding there (8 of only 12 couples in holland) but we didn’t see them.

We had a fun day. We also saw a Yellow Wagtail on our way home.

It started raining as soon as I got home, so quite a good planning!!

erik

sounds like a successful day out, particularley as the rain held off until you got back home. Rain not nice while cycling!.
Love to see a Great Reed Warbler.

Erik

That is very good in just three hours! Like Alan, I would love to see a Great Reed Warbler. The Bitterns must have been nice, too, as well as the Egyptian Goose.

A nice day, especially as you beat the rain!

Hi Erik
Nice to see you are active and having fun, here were I am located, we see different bird spieces and now we are having many brown headed and black "Cow Birds", some Yellow Headed Black Birds and Red Winged Blackbirds, Crows, Glue Jays, Barn Swallows etc.
The season is late due to the cold second blast we are getting (it is snowing now again at the Lake Cottage) temp = +5C, windy and miserable real Holland weather.....
This weekend in Canada we celebrate the birthday of Queen Victoria and have what we call an extra day off on monday = longweekend. this is the day all Canadian who have summer cottages go out and open up for the new summer season to start.
Due to the weather, it looks like slim picking and not to many are out here yet, just us brave ones who come here year round.
Erik, I am looking forward to see some of your pictures of birds you are taking.....
Hope to hear from you again.
regards
Walther

Interesting .... sounds like a fairly typical day in my local area in Norfolk, although I'd have to sub your Gt Reed Warbler for a Reed Warbler.

& presumably Barn Swallow is what I'd call Swallow ?

The countryside here is also flat .... good for plenty of cycling !

thanks for the replies guys!

Walther, still congrats on ur birthday!
I am not takin pictures in birding, i dont have a good camera for that...
Carlos, it's good to bike here indeed and i am depending on my bike so no choice for me...

i cant believe, when reading this again i forgot the most awesome sighting. There are two couples of marsh harriers nestling there and the males kept hunting on little grebes, which resulted in awesome shows on the water surface.

Hi I spent a brilliant 4hrs in the New Forest today,highlights were.

Redstart singing
Wood warbler singing
Blackcap singing & showing really well
The real highlight was seeing a family party of Woodlark ,consisting of male & female +3 young, both parents feeding the youngsters & both parents taking time to dust bath no more than 8ft away from me.Then one of the adults decided to move the young to a new area & on small whirring wings the youngsters followed.
Finally back at the car park & treated to 2 over flying Crossbill.
Today eclipsed 2/6/03 when I had a Nightjar churring from 9am to 11am.

Regards Stevo.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back