• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A lesser revelation (praise of lower magnification) (1 Viewer)

yarrellii

Supporter
I know many forum members are probably aware of what I am going to express, but I will do it either way, in the hope of helping others that might have never thought about it (as was my case) and also for the pleasure of sharing bino-experiences and discuss about them.

I’ve been a 8x binoculars user (I own and have owned 10x and 12x) and then some time ago I "fell under the spell" of 7x. First it was with a 7x35 Nikon Action Extreme; it was a revelation. The view was so “deep, crisp and serene” (for lack of a better description). I sold the EX because they were quite a brick. But I was already enchanted. From then on I’ve tried other flavours of 7x (from 7x42 to 7x33). And I’ve always enjoyed the same delightful view, I guess is a combination of well known factors like depth of field and steadier image.

Recently I have had a new lesser revelation: 6x. The Kowa YF 8x30 are one of my favourite binoculars, and lately I’ve been spending time with the 6x YF, and what a delight it has been! Everything I like from the 8x30 YF was there, but the image quality looked as if taken from a device from a higher tier: crisp, 3D, bright, clean, sharp as in 300-500 €/$ binoculars. My knowledge about the inner workings of optics is non-existant (little green men doing magic with tiny prisms, I understand). My guess is that a lower magnification makes the “feeling of image quality” easier to obtain (or, to put it in another words, the higher the magnification, the more difficult it is to get things right). But this is just a feeling. Sitting under a white mulberry tree with the 6x30 YF watching great tits, blackcaps and blackbirds was an eye-opener.

At the moment (as many other forum members, I guess) I’m waiting with great expectations the arrival of the new Kowa BD II XD 6.5x32 (which at 535 g could be a dream come true; I’ve just sold my 7x42 FL mainly due to size/bulk/prize). In the meantime, I’m reading many old threads where I find many fellow members describe their experiences with 6x and 7x… which I am finally able to understand (I know that 6x, or even 7x, might no be for everyone's taste or for every occasion).

I’ve learned about other 6x of note (Viking MD, Vortex Viper, etc.) and remarkable and affordable 7x (ZenRay ED2 7x36, Sightmark solitude, Opticron BGA SE, etc.). What other lower magnification binoculars have provided or still delight you with this sort of “lesser revelation”?

Attachments

• YF_8_6.jpg
    YF_8_6.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Yarrelli. Have you ever tried the Opticron 6x32 Traveller BGA Mg Binocular? It is really light at 13 oz. with a wide 425 foot FOV and pretty reasonable at $299.00. Here is a 5 star review on B&H.

"AN ENTHUSIASTIC ENDORSEMENT
Bynull
VERIFIED BUYER
I purchased this binocular from B&H Photo in July 2015. At the date of this review you are looking at the ONLY compact wide-angle 6x32 roof prism in the binocular universe. It is manufactured in Japan by OPTICRON (UK). This binocular is a magnificent achievement in precision engineering, compact utility and simply a sheer pleasure to use. To top it all off, I have experienced exemplary service from Opticron's US office in Huntersville, NC. They responded immediately to my inquiries and requests and went beyond what any business should normally have to do to satisfy a customer. I cannot praise their integrity and dedication to customer service high enough. Thank you Michaela! For more user reviews on the Opticron 6x32 Traveller BGA visit www.opticron.co.uk & www.opticronusa.com.Why a 6-power glass and not 7 or 8 power? It is all about the human eye, magnification and field-of-view (FOV). The human eye deteriorates over its lifespan. Excellent or poor eyesight may occur at any age, and corrective lenses may mitigate some of the effects of eye disease but they cannot restore the eye to a state of pristine health. In simple terms, lower magnification combined with a larger field-of-view is considerably easier on the eyes than higher magnification and a narrower FOV. Some of the benefits of lower power are:- less eye strain & less fatigue when scanning for longer periods- increased depth of field allows for identifying greater details with more clarity- less movement, wobbling etc., especially when viewing from a rocking boat - lower power and a smaller objective lens provide plenty of light gathering capability from dawn to dusk Being able to hold the binoculars steadier and enjoying the much wider field-of-view translates into SEEING MORE!I wear eyeglasses since my early twenties and I have owned 7x35 Hertel & Reuss porro prism,10x40 Zeiss Dialyt, 7x42 Zeiss Dialyt, 7x42 Leitz Trinovid, 8x56 Optolyth Royal, 6.5x32 I.F. Minox, the latter all roof prisms. I have also used and tested countless other high-end binoculars from Zeiss, Leica (Leitz), Swarovski and others during the past 35 years. I don't claim to be a technical expert on binoculars, but I have been pleasantly surprised a time or two when testing lower or value priced glasses. Since the introduction of affordable laser technology in all aspects of optical manufacturing, Japanese firms in particular have long since caught up with Central European makers in the selection of quality materials and assembly. They also use premium glass, usually procured from Schott/Zeiss Germany, and they have developed their own proprietary coatings and processes. Price and value are no longer related in a linear fashion. The lower cost of labour in Asia may account for a substantial price reduction in a piece of quality optics. Not to say that top Nikon products are any 'cheaper' than their Central European counterparts, they certainly are not. Virtually all European binocular manufacturers utilize factory capacities in Japan and lend their esteemed names to the high quality finished product. USER EXPERIENCE - Opticron 6x32 Traveller BGA Mg small physical size, light weight 370 grams - with rain guard & flappy caps about 400 grams comparable performance to full-size binocs weighting twice as much (My guarantee to the reader) slip-resistant partial rubber armoring feels very natural and enhances protection & durability very easy to hold steady with one hand (try that with an 800 grams full-size binoc) solid mechanical design, perfectly balanced in left and right hand thumb rests underneath in the centre of the bridge for perfect balance and control large focussing wheel on far end of the bridge turns as smooth as glass, with either index or ring finger right eye piece - click adjusted by the user will never need re-adjustment Eye Relief (ER) is 19mm for full field-of-view with or without glasses push/pull retractable eyecups stay put, will not collapse with normal use Field-Of-View (FOV) is symmetric, sharp and round superbly easy to find the focusing sweet spot very large central sweet spot with softening of the image on the periphery of the view (nothing negative in a compact roof prism glass with a FOV of 140/1000m) found no chromatic aberration (color fringing) visible in bright sunlight no curvature rolling - one can easily follow birds in flight without any rolling ball effect objective flappy caps are a great addition - easily popped off with thumbs, stay out off the way, yet attached one piece occular lens cap is attached on one side to the left neckstrap. When popped off the occulars, the lens cap dangles to the left of the binocular, out of the way and poses no obstruction to the userSUMMARY what a clever design all-around - a precision instrument made in Japan high quality optics & mechanical design utilizing latest technology huge field-of-view 141/1000m (refer to published specs) serialized numbers stamped on unit awesome price point, unusually low for its high quality and uniquenessOnly wish I would have: a wider neck strap. The supplied 3/4 inch strap has to carry about 400 grams with the included rain guard and flappy caps. I have replaced it with an after-market 1-1/2 inch wide strap that works wonders for a sore neck."

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1155597-REG/opticron_30597_traveller_bga_mg_6x32.html/specs

Attachments

• opticron_30597_traveller_bga_mg_6x32_1433781912_1155597.jpg
    opticron_30597_traveller_bga_mg_6x32_1433781912_1155597.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Yarrelli. Have you ever tried the Opticron 6x32 Traveller BGA Mg Binocular? It is really light at 13 oz. with a wide 425 foot FOV and pretty reasonable at $299.00. Here is a 5 star review on B&H.
Nice. I've read about it, but never actually took my time to investigate it in detail. Looks like it would make an incredible carry-anywhere binocular (well, I guess they didn't call it "Traveller" for nothing :D ). Nice suggestion. Thanks!

I’m a huge fan of Nikon 7x35 binoculars with its huge super wide 9.3 degree field of view. I remember comparing them to another set of binoculars with 7 degrees at the stars one night and couldn’t believe how much of a view I was missing. The wide angle captures more so you see a more beautiful picture in your binoculars

But I agree with the original poster. They are a brick for a 35mm binoculars

I almost was leaning towards the 6x30 mavens with a 8.8 FOV which many say is conservative. But Kowa just announced 10 degree 6.5x32.....I think I will hold out!

It will certainly be interesting to see how much of that 10° field is usable.

Centre field sharpness will also likely be a deciding factor for many.

For me this spec is lazy day seagull watcher for which an easy eyeful is essential.

Hartmann (Wetzlar) Germany has made a 6x30 porro with 200m/1000 m FOV. All Hartmanns I have investigated are very well made, stroong and with excellent optical performance.
Gijs van Ginkel

I have a Kronos 6x30 with a 12 degree field (12.5 degree marked).
It gives a good view but is sloppy mechanically.

Holger has a review.

B.

Libra 6x30 EWA Superview.
29.99 Euro in Netherlands.

11.0 degree field I think (My 4x22 Dowling and Rowe is 16.5 degree, same binocular different objectives).

Gijs tested this and liked it.

B.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back