• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help for id, S California (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hello all, this is from October. First image from San Diego (Balboa Park) and the other two from Big Morongo. The middle one could be a side-blotched lizard?

thanks
Niels

Attachments

• Lizard-q1 San Diego P1080515.JPG
    Lizard-q1 San Diego P1080515.JPG
    321.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Lizard-q2 Big Morongo P1080107.JPG
    Lizard-q2 Big Morongo P1080107.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Lizard-q3 Big Morongo P1080171.JPG
    Lizard-q3 Big Morongo P1080171.JPG
    286.3 KB · Views: 30
Round 2

Two more lizards (2 and 1 photos) both from Anza Borrego SP.

I would not be surprised if the end result is a lot of fence lizards ;)

Niels

Attachments

• Lizard-q4a Anza-B P1070793.JPG
    Lizard-q4a Anza-B P1070793.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Lizard-q4b Anza-B P1070779.JPG
    Lizard-q4b Anza-B P1070779.JPG
    275 KB · Views: 14
  • Lizard-q5 Anza-B P1070844.JPG
    Lizard-q5 Anza-B P1070844.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 19
Hi Niels. I only have a minute here. First two are Western Fence and Side-blotched. I will come back later today and look at the others.

Actually, I think the rest are also all Side-blotched. Scalation not as rough as Fence.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell Randy is correct, based on the pattern and texture. They can also be distinguished by small details on the head scales but I don't have those to hand.

Those are the two most common lizards in southern California, by far. You have to pick a rather warm sunny day to see much else, and that still takes the right luck and circumstances. If you went into good chaparral near San Diego you have a good chance at orange-throated whiptail, mostly in the pre-afternoon hours.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back